I Chickened Out on the Pair of MC2300s

JosephH

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
An auction for a pair of MC2300s ended yesterday for around $2500. (Item # 173115848292)
Both were used by a business since new, (42 years) and both had a channel out. They were rack mounted and cosmetics were just OK. I was in it for a while but stopped around $2k. In short, I chickened out. Did any one here get these? Did I make a mistake not staying with them longer (higher $$)???
I think $2500 would be good for a tech who can do the work themselves, but riskier for someone like me who would drop them off at Audio Classics. Of course just because the high bidder got them for $2500 doesn't mean that the winner wouldn't have gone much higher to win these beasts. Thoughts?

I would much rather have a MC 2600. It has power guard, a lot lower distortion and much better signal to noise. And you only have to lift one. I will admit 2300's are easier to repair as they are pretty basic. I was never a repair tech, but I could field repair 2300.s 2100's and 250's in my sleep. My main issue with a 2300 was more I guess with the owners. They just loved to see those meters hit the pegs. Of course they would wipe out tweeters every time they did. After a a year or two of this in professional installation we placed a Urei limiter in the equation . Ml-4c's really suffered form 2300's. Burned resistors, blown caps and fried super and domed tweeters. 2100's and 2105's cooked ML1's and 2's. But if you could keep your foot off the throttle you were home free. There are two or three different driver board for the 2300 as they changed the design over the years to reduce distortion, quite a bit. So look for that, too. I haven't had to deal with a 2300 since the 80's, so I imagine there are a lot of changes that need to be made as some parts aren't directly available any more. So I will wish you the best in your Quest and good luck.

With the introduction of the 611 maybe you can find a pair of 601's for a relative bargain. I'd still prefer the 2600 for performance vs cost.

Last edited:
An auction for a pair of MC2300s ended yesterday for around $2500. (Item # 173115848292)
Both were used by a business since new, (42 years) and both had a channel out. They were rack mounted and cosmetics were just OK. I was in it for a while but stopped around $2k. In short, I chickened out. Did any one here get these? Did I make a mistake not staying with them longer (higher $$)???
I think $2500 would be good for a tech who can do the work themselves, but riskier for someone like me who would drop them off at Audio Classics. Of course just because the high bidder got them for $2500 doesn't mean that the winner wouldn't have gone much higher to win these beasts. Thoughts?
They are great amps. In my 'one channel out' experience with both of my Mc2300's, it turned out to be minor issues in both cases, after I thought the worst. On the other hand, you just never know until you get into them.

It sounds like these amps where bridged and modded to be mono blocks and most likely the seller doesn't know about it

I see they're planning on double boxing and insuring.
Not that I'm even remotely I'm play here.
I'd most definitely insist on original packaging or an AC clone

Double boxing 2600 doesn t cut it in my book

How many other manufacturers of audio equipment see the price of their gear go UP in value over the years? Almost unheard of in the electronics industry.

I see they're planning on double boxing and insuring.
Not that I'm even remotely I'm play here.
I'd most definitely insist on original packaging or an AC clone

Double boxing 2600 doesn t cut it in my book
Yeah like the MC2500 I received sad put in wood crate and pallet freight shipped. Showed up with damage but still played. I replaced handles, straightened face plate and put in nee meter bezels. Sounds great still. These amps werebiilt for road work. Pure tanks.

Yeah like the MC2500 I received sad put in wood crate and pallet freight shipped. Showed up with damage but still played. I replaced handles, straightened face plate and put in nee meter bezels. Sounds great still. These amps werebiilt for road work. Pure tanks.

Wow I wonder how they managed that?? Backed over it with a truck or forklift maybe? That's how my 2nd 2500 came; double boxed and strapped to pallet with thankfully no damage from the busy trucking terminal where I went to pick it up.

Wow I wonder how they managed that?? Backed over it with a truck or forklift maybe? That's how my 2nd 2500 came; double boxed and strapped to pallet with thankfully no damage from the busy trucking terminal where I went to pick it up.
The owner never shipped freight but in single card board box with styrofoam.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom