I could use some advice.

I am surprised JimmyMac hasn't checked in.....he is the actual employee who pours the tar for the transformers.....

The only Mac transformer I depotted was a power transformer and the tar was quite stiff.

I would be concerned with the tar deforming causing a shifting of the transformer windings with possible mechanical buzzing or worst case insulation removal and shorting.

The best deal here would be a repacement amp and let the seller buy a new replacement autoformer.

I don't have much experience with that model amp other than I know it's high powered, highly regarded and expensive. Personally, the dent wouldn't bother me much as long as it functions as it was supposed to. If you paid a premium for condition than some sort of monetary refund would be in order I would think. I would expect it to be fair for both sides. If that isn't the case and you paid a discounted amount due some cosmetic flaws then I would say that's a different issue. The good thing is, by all accounts you bought it from a reputable dealer. If it's the same one that I think, you'll have no issues.

Yes very glad a bought it where I did even though it hasn’t been the smoothest. Knowing it will be made right completely makes up for the inconvenience. I understand things happen, and how they get handled really seperates good customer service from the not so good.

The MC252 showed up with a small to decent dent in the top of a Autoformer case. The C15 seems to have something loose inside. When you tilt it back and forth you can here and feel something knocking against something. Anyways would appreciate any thoughts on the matter. Maybe I am overreacting, if so please let me know.

I don't know, this is a tough one. If it were me, I'd probably be thinking about returning everything and start over. As was mentioned, you've paid a lot of money for this gear (regardless of the discount), it should
not have flaws of this nature. Something hard fell on that power amp. Whatever is rattling around in that preamp was probably caused by being dropped, what else has been loosened or damaged?
You're likely to have this gear for a fair amount of time, ask yourself this: Am I more apt to regret going through the effort now and getting a system that has not been damaged, or, am I more likely down the road to regret having kept damaged goods with no recourse. If you do opt to return, you should not be held liable for the shipping costs. You purchased in good faith. It is not your fault that damage occurred or that the items weren't as described.

I get all those concerns. Those thoughts have definitely crossed my mind. Thing is, any used item I will buy the same applies. I have no way of knowing it’s hostory. At least I already have an idea how these people will handle it if I have any more problems. I do feel the price is fair and don’t think I would take any loss if I chose to resell it in the near future. At the same time I like very much the idea of a near perfect example. I am still uncertain what to choose but I do feel either way I’ve been taken care of.

I get all those concerns. Those thoughts have definitely crossed my mind. Thing is, any used item I will buy the same applies. I have no way of knowing it’s hostory. At least I already have an idea how these people will handle it if I have any more problems. I do feel the price is fair and don’t think I would take any loss if I chose to resell it in the near future. At the same time I like very much the idea of a near perfect example. I am still uncertain what to choose but I do feel either way I’ve been taken care of.

Here's my final thought ,I own or have owned nearly every modern amp McIntosh has made ,even my Mc-1201s aren't as highly styled and beautiful as the Mc-252 ,if you watch close you'll see the 252 commands the highest watt per dollar price of any used Mac amp ,for me having a dent would be like having a Ferrari with an unfixable dent in the hood ,it's the most sexy amp Mac has ever made ,even more sexy that the Mc-2102 ,it's your gear so what you chose is best for you, then that's it,just keep in mind that your amp is quickly becoming 1 of the most sought after amps of all time .

So I decided to send it all back. I really wish it would have worked out like I was expecting but I feel in the long run I had much less chance of regret this way. Thanks for all the help. It can be really helpful to see how others see things.

That's why I buy from Audio Classics. No dents ever! What ever I buy from them is always surprisingly better than rated. I have owned a bunch of Mac over the years and buying pre-owned from Audio Classics is as much fun as it was when I got my pieces at work or directly from the factory on the tech program while I worked for a Mac dealer. I even use to get a thrill opening Mac for installations for other folks. The first time I had to open a MC 3500 shipping crate was a real thrill and Challenge. After opening almost all the tube Macs and early SS units. Just seeing the wooden crate the 3500 came in was a real surprise. Getting it out of the crate was another challenge. Try lifting one by your self. Of course after a 3500 I was prepared for 2300, 2500 and 2600. I have never tackled any of the 1000+ watt amps. Unless you count my 207's as 1400 watt amps but they don't have autoformers, thank goodness.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom