I did 109 MPH Yesterday evening...Whats the Fastest You've ever Driven?

For me, it might have been on my old Dodge Shadow 2.5 turbo. Did ~115mph on an empty stretch of the local bypass. That little sucker had a 3-speed auto, I must have been close to redlining it if not, only had time to very quickly glance at the speedometer and put my eyes back on the road. I probably held that speed for no more than 10 seconds or so, was scary as hell! ;) I'm not really into doing such stuff anymore luckily.

az

Had an impromptu street race couple of years back on highway 11 over here. The other guy was driving around 140mph when I passed him and I think I got my Saab up to 153-154mph (speedo went past 240kph and I didn't check it after that) before slowing down. He then passed me doing ~120 and kept going while I slowed to the limit, so I called the cops after him. They pulled him over a few miles down the road. No idea who it was, but he probably still hates me.

I'm so bad :angel:

For me, somewhere over 120 mph, in a 1973 Imperial Lebaron, with a 7.2 liter engine... Felt just like 60 except the scenery was moving a lot faster...back when gas was a dollar a gallon.. And having a car that got 13 mpg on the highway was somewhat affordable.. I hate to think what the stopping distance would have been at that speed.. The car weighed 5300 lbs! Even the anti-lock brakes would not have helped that...

The route i took to work would sometimes have
Photo Radar Speed traps on it.

I would get a car to race me and i would slow down before i got to the photo radar speed trap.

The camera flash from the radar unit taking the winning cars photo
Would make me smile.

Am i evil ?

The route i took to work would sometimes have
Photo Radar Speed traps on it.

I would get a car to race me and i would slow down before i got to the photo radar speed trap.

The camera flash from the radar unit taking the winning cars photo
Would make me smile.

Am i evil ?

That's about the most disgusting, low down thing I've ever heard..........:D

:sigh:About 115, but that was a while ago. My current car will only go 90 or so.

100% stock. 429 V8, 4 barrel Holley carb, Automatic trans!

I still have my '65 with the 429 and 4-barrel. It'll still burn rubber. But I seldom try. I think you could actually empty that 38-gallon fuel tank in about 100 miles if you put your mind to it.

Fastest I've ever driven a car was in my heavily modified 96 Honda Civic, motor swapped, 2.4L, forged internals, turbo'd, sheet metal intake etc... the car was gear limited to around 160mph with the stock Civic tire diameter and the final drive of the Prelude trans. I took it to 155mph at about 7900-8000rpm, redline was set to 8200. This was on 8psi of boost, and things were built to handle 25psi, not that it would increase my top speed but I'd get there even faster, I really miss that car...

Now I drive a 58 Beetle that is terrifying at 65mph lol.

Also would like to add that after one of the 5th gear pulls in the Civic one day, I pulled up to my shop and I could head a hissing sound. My left front valve stem was halfway pulled out of the rim from the centrifugal force :yikes: and the tire went flat in a couple minutes. Man could that have been bad at speed!

And-Wall, I'd rather have the '58 Beetle any day to a Civic. More fun, more personality and plenty of mod stuff out there to make it go fast and not be scary. From time to time I still read a VW dedicated mag and am amazed at how well it is still supported today. And, how inexpensively. A maxed out long block can be had for less than a short block Chevy small block. Sheet metal is a petence. Even new 001 distributors are available. If I were single and living in a slightly warmer climate I'd probably be driving 1. I noticed in the last issue of a mag I read even the a/c unit is available. I rode in a Beetle 1 time that sported 1 and it worked somewhere between as well as the Beetle heater and typical European a/c automobile units from the '70s.

A-rod, I have a built CRX. I'd love to hear more about that 'lude...

Also owned an '82 lude. COULD NOT kill the thing. Sold to a friend who finally was rearended in it.....and drove it home. : )

And-Wall, I'd rather have the '58 Beetle any day to a Civic. More fun, more personality and plenty of mod stuff out there to make it go fast and not be scary. From time to time I still read a VW dedicated mag and am amazed at how well it is still supported today. And, how inexpensively. A maxed out long block can be had for less than a short block Chevy small block. Sheet metal is a petence. Even new 001 distributors are available. If I were single and living in a slightly warmer climate I'd probably be driving 1. I noticed in the last issue of a mag I read even the a/c unit is available. I rode in a Beetle 1 time that sported 1 and it worked somewhere between as well as the Beetle heater and typical European a/c automobile units from the '70s.

They were at 2 totally different times in my life. The Civic was a daily driver all year round and you could beat the crap out of it. The Beetle is definitely my hobby car and driven when the weather is nice. There is pretty much everything available for the air cooled engines, but you will pay a lot if you want quality and not China parts.

Back
Top Bottom