I did 109 MPH Yesterday evening...Whats the Fastest You've ever Driven?

...I am all for going really fast, but I keep my racing to the track. I have been 145 on public road, but it was in the MS delta and I could literally see for miles that I was clear...

I agree. That's why I rarely peg a speedo. Generally, I drive the limit if there's traffic, 85-90 if there's none, and only see what a machine is actually capable of if I can see all the way to the horizon that there's nothing at all on a flat road that I know well enough to know there are no crossroads that enter. But every car gets pegged at least once. :D

My 94 Chevrolet truck only has 85 showing on the spedo and will shut the fuel off if you get past around 100 mph.

My wifes 07 Camry is a good interstate cruiser...

Popped it up to 110 once or twice to pass a semi...

Sewing-machine 4-banger just hunmed right along ....

Matt

A few months ago, relative to the date of this post, I really outdid myself.

After stewing about it for a long time, I bought this thing:

front.jpg

I don't regret it for an instant. It is a BLAST to drive, and you just don't see them any more.

Having been an "old folks" car, this thing is very clean both inside and out. The interior is probably as close to spotless as a 20 year old unrestored car can be. Considering that there will probably never be any more real "road sofa" cars made ever again, I've tried to do my best to keep it nice and treat it well. It's powered by an L05 TBI Chevrolet 350 V8 (not an LT1) going into a TH700R4 transmission and 2.73 rear end gears.

While cruising down the Interstate one day, I got behind some Priuses and decided to be a bit ornery by passing them all. You can, after all, enjoy what you're driving or get good fuel economy*. :D

I thought nothing of passing them or how fast I was going until I looked down at the speedometer and saw I was going 100 miles an hour. As if that weren't enough of a shock, it was even more amazing how incredibly stable and secure the car felt. (People who probably know tell me those wagons will make it to about 130 MPH or so before they get "squirrely".)

And while my conscience made noises about doing something like the following to a clean old car, I did find out just how hard it would launch wide open. My brother was riding in the "tailgunner" seat and summed it up nicely. "You almost put me through the rear glass!"

* it has to be said that the Caprice does not do at all badly on gas. It manages 15-18 miles per gallon when driving in town, about 22 MPG in mixed driving and right around 27 (almost 28!) MPG if you stay on the highway and don't put your foot into it too hard. This is, so far, harsh competition for a 2012 Impala. So, why can't we have nice, big, plush, and good riding cars any longer? :confused:

Back in 2001, I got over 100 a couple times. Once in a 1985 Volvo 245DL wagon, going ~110 along I-5 late at night, and once in my old 1982 Volvo 242 Turbo, doing the same speed along I-90 one morning. These days, I might hit 85-90 mph if I'm running behind schedule on a roadtrip, but I haven't had the desire to get into the triple digit territory anymore.

-J

Back
Top Bottom