I did it again, got a Fisher X-100B amp

Hi all,
tonight I did a little work on the Fisher again, I removed the speaker switch
from the front panel and took it apart, cleaned it out polished all contact's put
in some faderlube and, yep that what I thought it does sound a little more
brighter with more detailed, I have done this before, the contacts inside are
silver and after year's on non use they get yellow and this really cleans them
up. What's up next?

Tube ~ yer a genius! I followed your lead with my KX-100 which just sounded awful and re-soldered the input jacks and the preamp tube socket that was giving me trouble, gave the preamp tube sockets another going over, and cleaned up the speaker 'on-off' slide-switch, and the amp was instantaneously transformed !

Course I also installed new Rectifier diodes, but wow...my amp just stood up and saluted!!!! So thanx!

-08c.jpg

Last edited:
I've never had to resolder joints on a factory made Fisher - ever. Must be the variability of kitmaking at work.

Tube ~ yer a genius! I followed your lead with my KX-100 which just sounded awful and re-soldered the input jacks and the preamp tube socket that was giving me trouble, gave the preamp tube sockets another going over, and cleaned up the speaker 'on-off' slide-switch, and the amp was instantaneously transformed !

Course I also installed new Rectifier diodes, but wow...my amp just stood up and saluted!!!! So thanx!

-08c.jpg

Thanks it's a lot of work but in the end the results are better, and I guess
redoing the sockets depends on the condition of the amps. but I'm glad
it's working out good for you, don't forget to change the caps. Yesterday
I got the NOS Allen Bradley Carbon Comp Resistor's, I got them tested
to 1% tolerance and I replaced all the ones in the Fisher amp. I've read
that they go out of tolerance and when I tested some of them they were.

tube

cool....

Here's my ideas on resoldering. In my line of work I work on a lot of vintage Fender musical instrument amps that don't have printed circuit boards or transistors. Lot's of tubes and point-to-point wiring etc.....

Many times noisy amps and intermittant snaps, crackles and pops are the issue - and tracing them down in the laboratory manner is just too time consuming.

What we do, when confronted with this, is to hit all the solder points involving sockets, caps and resistors and grounding lugs. Normally we don't bother resoldering pots, power switches, lamps etc... but they can be resoldered too, if the issue isn't resolved. What we're talking about here is cold solder joints. I deal with them all the time.

NOS carbon resistors... wow, that's nifty. I imagine there's plenty of them out there. I think they look great. I ones I get at the elec. supply are the fire proof ones that are light blue, small and look kinda cheap. But that's all they have for me there. I don't buy much at Radio Shack, but that's what they sell too, when I'm forced to go there in a pinch; except theirs are sort of tan colored instead of blue. They look better, but not that much better. *LOL*

But I'll have to admire your determination in replacing all those resistors. I know that they often go out of spec. But usually I don't go that far. I make sure that the plate and cathode resistors coming from the tubes are not crumbling or disintegrating, and I always prod all the other R's with a piece of dowel to check for broken ones.

Beyond that, I don't bother with R's, unless I'm getting crackling or spitting sounds from the output, which, if all other things have passed muster, tells me that there's probably a resistor or more that are decrepid and are arcing inside.

On the other hand, old caps that are passing DC, can produce similar symptoms.

I have a tendency to leave well enough alone. But I must say, the extra effort in re-tinning those 12AX7 sockets was WELL worth the time. I'm going to re-tin the power tube sockets next !!

Yay!

Last edited:
Hi Louie,
There were only seven of those, which wasn't bad the others I left because they
all seemed fine. I got the Allen Bradley's off a guy on ebay he's really nice with
either big or small order, I just give him a few days to get them all together and
he ships fast.

tube

Yesterday the mailman brought me a surprise, my pair of RCA 12AX7's I got off
the Bay for $11.00 dollars, so I cleaned the pins and plug those guy's in and it's
sounds great even the balance problem I had went away, My old tubes there must
of been in inbalance there, so this Fisher amp is really sounding good!

Fisher Passed Voice Test Today

Hi all,

Was home today listening to the Fisher and Mom came over
and said " Who's in the room talking to you" and I said it's the
Fisher.:yes: and she said oh it's the new thing you got. So it
passed the Mom test, besides I was playing Tracy Chapman
and some of her recording it does sound like she's talking to
you, so it a great test.

tube

Hi all,
I was surfing the web today and saw a few pictures of some Fisher
X202's and was wondering about something, on the back panel in the
Tapehead and Phono RCA inputs there where male metal RCA plug's
put in, would you guy's know the reason behind this????

I just read this.. thought I'd comment...

I've always been lead to believe that those RCA plugs were there to keep dust out of the inside of the chassis. I know that sounds really anal, but I remember back in 1978 when I bought a brand new off the shelf SANSUI AU-7900 (which is right in front of me, as I type, btw..) and when I un-packed it, all the RCA jacks at the rear had little pairs of black plastic covers on them. Jackets, if you will. I still have them and I keep them on all of the inputs and outputs that are unoccupied. I even found some red ones once on a receiver I bought used at Goodwill.

I'm thinking the metal male ones you saw serve the same purpose.

IF the grounding thing is actually the purpose, I'd very much like to know the theory behind that concept. Maybe we could start a new cottage industry! ;)

Hi Louie,
How's your Fisher amp.

Purdy good. ... which one ? :)

I guess you mean the KX100. Well, I went in a couple midnights ago and resoldered all the power-tube socket connections. shot some DeOxiT here and there just for good measure....

lessee....oh YES, then I painted the Xformers. They were already clean from last weeks scrub, so I loosened the mounting bolts, and slipped some thin paper under the feet and then squirted some Rustoleum gloss black aerosol into a little cup and brushed it on with a medium soft bristle brush. It dries really fast. I didn't do the feet on the output trannys...just the Power T.

THEN, while enjoying some music, I discovered that the headphone jack is wired in reverse, of all things. So, this weekend I'm going in for more surgery. Should be routine. I hope it goes easy and I don't run into the usual unexpected hurdles. :)

KX100-03.jpg

You did a nice job, Haven't got that far yet, Trying to decide if I want to get more
fisher amps, but If I do I'll have to sell my Scott's. But I'm really enjoying the Fisher
and I hardly changed as many parts as in the Scott's and the tubes all 12AX7's are
easier to get and more noise free, I'll sleep on it tonight.

tube

You did a nice job, Haven't got that far yet, Trying to decide if I want to get more
fisher amps, but If I do I'll have to sell my Scott's. But I'm really enjoying the Fisher
and I hardly changed as many parts as in the Scott's and the tubes all 12AX7's are
easier to get and more noise free, I'll sleep on it tonight.

tube

The only Scott I had was a preamp. I sold it on eBay about 10 years ago.

I sort of inherited the Fisher Stuff...(and I'm glad I did)...

Actually I started out as a Harman Kardon guy. I still have a pair of HK Award a300's... they use a quad of 6V6GT power tubes and 12AX7's....very cool.

HEY... guess what I'm doing tonight. I'm recapping my Motorola clock radio. *HAHA* now THAT'S taking things a bit far...;)

Jensen silver foil and CDE computer grade electrolytics work really well in clock radios.

Hi all,
Enjoying the Fisher, I purchased a few 12AX7 tubes RCA, GE's. But
one question, some of the GE's I got, one of the three is brighter
than the other two, five tubes are kinda dim but this one's brighter
does this mean it's going bad?

tube

Last edited:
I assume you mean the glow of the heaters? My telefunkens do the same thing, probably nothing to be concerned about. Total wattage on each tube is going to be slightly different because of the voltage drops through the circuit. The current remains the same through the circuit but you start with 40v and drop 10volts at each of those tubes. It's late, hope I got that straight.

Hi all,
Enjoying the Fisher, I purchased a few 12AX7 tubes RCA, GE's. But
one question, some of the GE's I got, one of the three is brighter
than the other two, five tubes are kinda dim but this one's brighter
does this mean it's going bad?

tube

No that's normal. Just differences in manufacturing. The filiment must be showing a bit more on that tube.

I assume you mean the glow of the heaters? My telefunkens do the same thing, probably nothing to be concerned about. Total wattage on each tube is going to be slightly different because of the voltage drops through the circuit. The current remains the same through the circuit but you start with 40v and drop 10volts at each of those tubes. It's late, hope I got that straight.

Will have to check that with the schematic, off hand do you know what pin
that is?

tube

Pin 5 V4 should yield 40V if your bias is set properly, it runs off the same 40V as the bias for your output tubes. Measure voltage at each pin 5 of those 4 tubes and you will see that the voltage gets progressively lower. V5 and V6 get their heater supply from the same source as the heaters for the outputs and are wired in parallel so the voltage remains constant through that circuit.

Last edited:
I have a Fisher KX-100 that I really like. It's been recapped, and runs like an absolute champ. I like 5751's in the preamp section, but still use 12AX7's in the phono stage for the extra gain versus the 5751.

Back
Top Bottom