I did it, I bought a Kenwood. An L-1000C pre-amp.

Mr. Yamaha

Not so much Yamaha lately...
So obviously I'm a Yamaha fan. All my gear is Yamaha branded and I guess I really love the 'natural sound'. Recently I rebuilt my Yamaha B-2 V-FET power amplifier and paired it up with my Yamaha C-4 pre-amp. Although it sounded great, I had the feeling that the C-4 didn't complement the B-2 as I expected.

So I went on a pre-amp search. At first I only considered Yamaha: a C-2a or a C-2x? Or a CX-1000? Then a fellow AK'er who guided me through the B-2 restoration told me there are two Japanese pre-amps which definitely will blow away the pricey Yamaha C-2x: A Kenwood / Trio L-07C II and a Kenwood L-1000C.

So I did some research on the net and became a fan of the L-1000C, because of it's electrical design and overall build quality. And of course because of it's functions, connections and remote control.

But it still felt weird to put something else than Yamaha in my audio chain (except for the DAC).

Anyway, I thought: I buy one and I will just listen to it and if I'm not happy, I will sell it. Found a nice piece for a very reasonable price and pretty local. First owner, mint condition, never repaired, heck not even opened up ever :naughty: So I picked it up.

Immediately I was amazed by it's build quality, used materials, etc. When I opened it up for a visible inspection I was even more astonished. Very clean design and there wasn't a single dust particle present.

And everything is relay switched, no more wafer switches. And that remote control :bigok:

I hooked it up, fired it up and went for a listening session :music:

Man, what can I say, this sounds awesome! I immediately could dial the NS-1000M's high and mid attenuators back to normal instead of -1,5 with the C-4. What a great sound stage and so much detail. Very clean sound, punchy bass and the imaging changed dramatically in a good way :music:

So far, very very happy with this unit. Definitely a keeper! Highly recommended!

Because :needpics:, some pics:

IMG_4910.JPG IMG_4618.JPG IMG_4619.JPG IMG_4624.JPG IMG_4625.JPG IMG_4626.JPG IMG_4627.JPG IMG_4628.JPG
IMG_4622.JPG

Last edited:
WOW! that is 1 killer looking preamp.
I am glad all those pretty little thingys inside made for awsome SQ.
great pics too.

thanks

PS: no one can tell if its KW from 10' and who cares anyway. I sure wouldnt.
U done good.

PPS: are they sold in US?

Last edited:
Congratulations! That is a fine piece of audio engineering. I think inside you'll find top selected quality parts from the beginning of '90.
I was also interested to acquire this pre, but I have chosen finally the Trio L-07C II. I do not know how it sounds though... Nevertheless, people are talking very good about the L-07CII. I will find in a week or so.

P.S.: you have a very nice audio setup out there. I am a big fan of the B-2, although I hope to buy very soon a B-3, the smaller wattage Japanese market version, the last V-FET made by Yamaha.

Congratulations! That is a fine piece of audio engineering. I think inside you'll find top selected quality parts from the beginning of '90.
I was also interested to acquire this pre, but I have chosen finally the Trio L-07C II. I do not know how it sounds though... Nevertheless, people are talking very good about the L-07CII. I will find in a week or so.

P.S.: you have a very nice audio setup out there. I am a big fan of the B-2, although I hope to buy very soon a B-3, the smaller wattage Japanese market version, the last V-FET made by Yamaha.

B-3 is very nice too! But I'm in love with the B-2's meters :thumbsup:

You play very dry music, don't you? (as seen by the cactuses sitting on the speakers). :)

Seriously, make sure you are not using clay coasters underneath the plants. Water can wick through and damage the speaker cabinet. You are with the barrel cactus. I know this from experience.

Dry music, what's that? :dunno: The cactuses are part of the deal with my girlfriend. I can have large speakers and she is allowed to put large plants on them. Anyway, you know how it works ;-) They are placed in leak free pots, have felt pads underneath the pots, do not need much water and when they do, I'm the only person allowed to give them water :D

A load of ecaps in there I see. nice layout, and the relays for switching is the best one can have = enjoy. Amazing the electronics for something that has a gain of about 7 for the aux to o/p :)

Compare the circuit to my Truth:
index.php

Back
Top Bottom