I didn't need another R2R but

Lman

I saw this beautiful Tandberg 64 at the flea market. When the vendor offered it to me for $20 how could I refuse? I also got the owner's manual, schematics, a letter from Tandberg thanking me for my purchase and a copy of the one year warranty (expired).

It's supposed to work but I'm going to open it up and check the belts. The heads need to be cleaned but the pinch roller looks pretty good.

Even if I never get it to work I'm going to put it in one of my rigs just so I can admire it.

Lou

I hesitated in buying the 64 because I had just bought a tube tester from the same guy and I really didn't want to spend any more money. As it was I left a signal generator that I also should have purchased.

The belts seem to be in good shape. I tested the transport functions with one of my junk tapes and they all worked perfectly, as did the counter.

The heads and the pinch roller need a thorough cleaning, which I hope to get to in the next few days. After that I'll hook it into my test system to verify that both channels are working. If all goes well I'll plug it into my main rig and see how she compares to my TEAC and AKAI.

Lou

Hey Lou,
Nice find! If you need a signal generator and don't mind spending an afternoon building it, I check and give you the e-mail addy were you can buy one. I bought one about 2 years ago.
Ron

I've never owned a really old Tandberg like that, but I would have picked it up in a heartbeat for that price! I've only played with the TD-20 Series decks, as I don't have much interest in one-motor machines.

Is the 64 tube unit, and/or does it feature the cross-field heads?

Tanberg 64 ...nice :)

I've got an mono Tandberg 82 and they are built like tanks and just beautiful to look at. Real quality engineering when thing were built and then given a price tag rather than being built to suit a price tag.

goldear said:
I've never owned a really old Tandberg like that, but I would have picked it up in a heartbeat for that price! I've only played with the TD-20 Series decks, as I don't have much interest in one-motor machines.

Is the 64 tube unit, and/or does it feature the cross-field heads?

The 64 is a tube unit using 12AU7's. The manual doesn't go into detail about the heads and I don't know how to tell if the heads are the cross-field heads.

Lou

The 64 is a tube unit using 12AU7's. The manual doesn't go into detail about the heads and I don't know how to tell if the heads are the cross-field heads.
Cool! The tubes should help to make the unit a little more fun! You can tell really easily if you have cross field heads: If there is a fourth head that sandwitches the tape between itself at the record head, then you have a corss field machine. If not, the you don't. HF performace is supposed to be somewhat better with a cross-field design than without.

Back
Top Bottom