I do like the stream

vintage 5.0

vintage 5.0
Subscriber
I am sitting here on my computer and listening to some great tunes. I am streaming with Deezer to my dac and into my system. I am kind of old school and like vinyl and have so many CDs. I just can not get over how easy this is and how great it sounds. I still like a good record but this is so care free. It is also easy to try different music. I must say I am slowly converting over. I also like the CD but it is even more of a pain. Anyone else finding themselves just wanting to stream the tunes.

I don't stream much but I do have digital music available to me with just a touch of a button or two. It's nice having that convenience and since most of my digital files are 24/96 or higher resolution, the quality is superb and there is no physical media to mess around with.

I think that is why I like it. I can look at stuff on the internet and just enjoy the music. I do not have to hassle with anything. I know there are times when I like to sit down and spin some vinyl. There are other times I just need a half hour or so of listening and do not want to worry about it.

I use Roon Audio with Tidal and Roon does a great job of picking tunes for me after an album of my choice. I am actually surprised at some of the stuff it picks for me to listen to. Kind of like having a friend that really knows music picking stuff.

I have around 60,000 tunes on my hard drive and maybe 10,000 as favorites in Tidal.

i run 2 systems in the living room both have hd audio connections from the pc

1 from pc to avr, does all internet, streaming, video
using firefox via hdmi ... its her system

my files are 24/96 sent from hdd to my main system via usb dac

this keeps all really simple for her to use, most of what she wants is default to easy to use stuff
all my flac will default to the other system thru jriver, i can listen to to any and all of it on either system with a couple mouse clicks
and can use a 3rd party app to run the same programing to both at the same time ...... but syncing the 2 for timing doesnt work so well

I can't stream as good as I used to ... prostate issues ... ;-}

I prefer to pick and choose from the library since going digital. Just kinda mouse around the tunes as I listen, or hit shuffle. Also have some go to FM stations for catching new tunes and artists.

Got a new DAC yesterday so I'm that phase of having a new toy, so streaming from my library and playing some cd's using the DAC have dominated my usual vinyl spinning. But normally I like to spin vinyl during the day, and then stream at night when music becomes more for background. Frankly, I just like having options to play music in any format I want.

I don't seem to care about streaming that much although I am still open to it at some point when they start paying attention to better interfaces. Having 40 million tracks is great and all but unless you have good tools to organize and manage it, it is an abyss to me. I have tried many, Tidal, Spotify, Amazon Unlimited, Google, Pandora and it is always the same thing. Another month goes by and I see another $10 has been removed from my account, and I never used it! Just too much sifting and hitting NEXT>> again and again until I find something interesting.

Playing CD's, or rather music from CD's is stupid simple the way I do it. I just rip them to Flac files using JRiver, and it puts them in the artist folders on my NAS drive where artwork, and all the metadata that comes with the CD is loaded and ready to play. I do this while listening to other music so it doesn't really take any of my time at all. Then the CD's go out to the shed where they will sit until whenever, as proof of ownership. There is that word, ownership! Something the stream will never provide. Here today, but maybe not tomorrow?

Oh heck yeah. I'm new to streaming and it's been another world for me. I'm hearing new music. I just ordered a few records this week that I felt I had to have, a few weeks ago I didn't know the bands existed. Like being a teenager again minus the beautiful young girls.

I stream my CD library of ripped flac files and use Spotify. A nice feature in LMS is the Don't Stop The Music plugin which will continue playing similar music after an album (or playlist) ends from both your own library and Spotify (works with Tidal too).

I am all streaming - no CDs or vinyl. All players are connected to the server via WiFi.

I stream a good bit these days (mostly Tidal Lossy/lowest price on net for me) and am constantly impressed by how good it sounds on my 2.1 ch stereo rig. Was listening to Neil Young's "After the Gold Rush" tonight (Neil Young Archives web site/Lossless) and was really taken back by how good the harmonies sounded. I do own this title on Vinyl but I decided to listen on streaming this time. Followed by listening to The Killers "Battle Born" (Tidal). I play this album a good bit (one of my favorite modern albums) but have no plan to buy the CD version … so yea .. streaming has changed my habits.

Attended a record show last weekend and brought home some nice Vinyl .. so I still buy LP's as my last form of physical media purchases. CD's not so much .. even if I own the CD .. usually I just stream the album instead of taking the time to go fetch & spin the CD. I've got a nice collection of greatest hits CD's that have been ripped to AAC (DAP use) .. but have not had to add to that collection recently.

Last edited:
I find it to be a new "PIA" for me?? While it is pretty cool and I have changed a bunch of stuff so no A to B?? But my Mach One were much much better on CD, then my Sansui SP 1200's .. streaming thru my BOTL Pioneer and a Fire TV??? I got loss with the whole outboard "DAC" bit?? What am I missing??? But IYoutube pulled up tunes I'd long forgotten about ... that was pretty cool!

CD's not so much .. even if I own the CD .. usually I just stream the album instead of taking the time to go fetch & spin the CD.

My space is so small that fetching is not required and I still stream instead of messing with the CD. Streaming sounds just as good or better than CD's (in my system). If I have to own the physical median I pick up the LP. But have always and still do prefer vinyl over CD.

:beerchug:

My space is so small that fetching is not required and I still stream instead of messing with the CD. Streaming sounds just as good or better than CD's (in my system). If I have to own the physical median I pick up the LP. But have always and still do prefer vinyl over CD.

My CD's are in about 6 different locations (including books which are a PITA to take out). My Vinyl collection (my preferred format) is stored in 4 different places but is logged on Discogs (exact shelf location listed in field). I've always meant to log CD's as well but w/ streaming .. why take the time? :dunno:

As far as sound .. the Rebook CD's of older legacy recordings (full dynamic range that were not screwed up in remastering to make them sound modern) do have a slight edge (many times) over my Tidal Lossy streaming on my system .. but most of those recordings I own on Vinyl .. so it's not that big of factor. Vast majority of my Redbook CD collection consists of 90's & up POP recordings (CD era) .. so IMHO & experience .. not worth the time benefit to rip it (difference in audio quality for 2.1 ch stereo is minute if any at all). Tidal Lossy (AAC 320k) is good enough for CD era (post 90's & up POP) .. maybe I'll upgrade to Tidal Lossless at some point .. for older legacy recordings (older Jazz, 60's, 70's Classic Rock .. etc).

Last edited:
All my CD's are stored outside in the shed, already ripped to a NAS drive which is available to a number of devices in my house as well as in my shop outbuilding . I would stream too if I actually had to juggle CD's with a CD player every time I wanted to play music! There has to be some advantages to living in the 21st century. That streaming is available is certainly one for many, but to not have to handle physical media is tops for me, whatever the source .

As far as ripping .. I've ripped my greatest hits/compilation CD's for DAP (as noted earlier) but not my bulk collection individual albums (aside from ones not currently available to stream). At one time … I planned to do so (purchase & set-up NAS) … but that got put on the back-burner (again, again & again) and eventually got deleted from my goals list planner.

Unless subscription streaming goes through a radical change (price and or content related) … I'll probably never get a round to it.

RoundTuit.jpg

Last edited:
I got rid of all my CD’s about 5 yrs ago and was doing vinyl only (again) until about 2 yrs ago when I started streaming for none critical listening. A few months ago I picked up a used disk player to use as a transport after reading the many threads on here telling us how much better CD’s still are. I have picked up about 30 CD’s since and once again not playing them at all, vinyl when I sit down to listen and my Tidal streaming all other times. Streaming of the same music as the CD’s I have sounds better. :dunno:

Plus as many have stated, tons of new music I like that I would never of heard otherwise. To me that is the main benefit.

IMHO the SQ is there to save room and get rid of all my physical media, I live in a “tiny house”. Only problem is I know I will miss spinning vinyl, I travel a lot for work and miss it everytime I am gone.

CD ripping is just so simple with the right software. When I sit down to listen to music,if there are any CDs to rip, I do it while listening to other music. It usually takes about 2 minutes to rip a CD, often less but it doesn't matter really as I am doing what I want anyway, which is listening to music.

The advantages of listening to CDs that have been ripped are much more than not having to handle the CD's. All the metadata on a CD, plus the hundred or so custom fields such as personal rating, mood, instruments, vocalist etc makes creating smartlists based on any number of criteria a real good way to find and listen to music that fits the mood, company, etc.

Last night I set up a smartlists of all the music I have imported in the last 6 months that wasn't blues or rock with just a couple mouse clicks from my listening chair. Later when my wife came home I added some of her favorite stuff mixed in with the current list that was randomized, again with a couple mouse clicks without having to leave my recliner.

This type of control is what I find missing with streaming and unless they start to let subscribers use real Media players such as jriver, music bee etc it will always be strapped to their exceedingly dumbed down players that come with whichever stream you want to pay for.

CD ripping is just so simple with the right software. When I sit down to listen to music,if there are any CDs to rip, I do it while listening to other music. It usually takes about 2 minutes to rip a CD, often less but it doesn't matter really as I am doing what I want anyway, which is listening to music.

The advantages of listening to CDs that have been ripped are much more than not having to handle the CD's. All the metadata on a CD, plus the hundred or so custom fields such as personal rating, mood, instruments, vocalist etc makes creating smartlists based on any number of criteria a real good way to find and listen to music that fits the mood, company, etc.

Last night I set up a smartlists of all the music I have imported in the last 6 months that wasn't blues or rock with just a couple mouse clicks from my listening chair. Later when my wife came home I added some of her favorite stuff mixed in with the current list that was randomized, again with a couple mouse clicks without having to leave my recliner.

This type of control is what I find missing with streaming and unless they start to let subscribers use real Media players such as jriver, music bee etc it will always be strapped to their exceedingly dumbed down players that come with whichever stream you want to pay for.

I am actually happy with the controls in most the streaming services, and do most of what you just described with the music I have saved in my account. Few clicks and there is my new playlist. That being said I have only tried jriver and found it more effort than I was willing to put into it. That is just me, I can see the appeal of the music playback programs.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom