I don't think I Need to Replace the Crossover Capacitors, Do you?

That's what the member who suggested them said--balance. Thanks for seconding on that. Well, I ordered the Germans too :crazy: What the hey, an expensive but great learning experience I'll have experimenting with three types of caps! Thanks again.

The "German" Mundorf E-Caps are NPE's, like the original caps. So, if you don't like the Dayton caps (too bright), you can then try the Mundorf's. They would sound closer to stock, if that's what you're after?

Also, the Dayton poly caps will most likely be much bigger than the old caps. Be prepared to play around with placement, to get them to fit. But, you should have plenty of room, from your pictures.

Ah, that's what I like to hear! Yeah, now that you and drbiggles confirm there'll be more highs, that's something I felt was not quite right in the sound. In fact, I can pinpoint it to, I am getting a lot of the horn and would like more of the tweeter and woofer.

Caps won't bring up the bass any, but old caps with high ESR even if they haven't drifted off value will definitely kill your tweeter output.

If you're not happy with the bass however you'll have to look elsewhere. Got pics of your speakers? Are they acoustic suspension or ported? What are the surrounds made of?

Caps won't bring up the bass any, but old caps with high ESR even if they haven't drifted off value will definitely kill your tweeter output.

New caps generally don't shift the ESR enough to alter bass level. But the new caps can improve bass detail, which helps.

If you're not happy with the bass however you'll have to look elsewhere. Got pics of your speakers? Are they acoustic suspension or ported? What are the surrounds made of?

Positioning can definitely help. Also, if the speakers are stand mounted, adding a "beard" to the front of the speaker, and stand, can help. A beard is an added baffle board attached to the front of the stand. It's the height of the stand, and the width of the speaker front. It allows the bass wave to travel down the front of the beard and couple to the floor, increasing the boundary bass effect, reinforcing bass. It looks something like this.

317devore.cat.jpg

Nice speakers. We had a local GTG a while back and the DeVore Gibbon X's just floored me.

Cute cat, too.

I'll take some photos, thank you. Acoustic suspension. Cloth surrounds (Utah). While I wait for the caps to arrive, I may take everything apart to inspect everything and take photos. I'd like to clean the grills too but that is another discussion, which I've researched in past threads here. the only thing I'm unsure of is how to remove the staples to remove the cloth grills; don't want to damage the Masonite panels.

Last edited:
New caps generally don't shift the ESR enough to alter bass level. But the new caps can improve bass detail, which helps.

Positioning can definitely help. Also, if the speakers are stand mounted, adding a "beard" to the front of the speaker, and stand, can help. A beard is an added baffle board attached to the front of the stand. It's the height of the stand, and the width of the speaker front. It allows the bass wave to travel down the front of the beard and couple to the floor, increasing the boundary bass effect, reinforcing bass. It looks something like this.

317devore.cat.jpg
Never knew about that. Would a cat make a nice beard? :D

I'll take some photos, thank you. Acoustic suspension. Cloth surrounds (Utah). While I wait for the caps to arrive, I may take everything apart to inspect everything and take photos. I'd like to clean the grills too but that is another discussion, which I've researched in past threads here. the only thing I'm unsure of is how to remove the staples to remove the cloth grills; don't want to damage the Masonite panels. Here is an eBay listing of the speakers only removed: https://www.ebay.com/itm/253431201225?ViewItem=&item=253431201225

OK if your speakers are acoustic suspension with cloth surrounds, that sounds like you may have the same issue that affects old AR and KLH acoustic suspension speakers - namely, the surrounds were originally treated with a "dope" to make them airtight, and over time it has dried out, flaked of, generally gone away.

If that is your issue - and you can test by simply pressing the woofer cone in gently; if it snaps right back, something's not sealed, if it oozes back over a second or more, it's fine - then AK user RoyC sells a butyl rubber dope that should work. Restoring the seal will tighten and improve the bass response from your woofers.

I am, however, pretty unfamiliar with Utah drivers so you may want to wait for someone to confirm that I'm telling you the right things.

OK if your speakers are acoustic suspension with cloth surrounds, that sounds like you may have the same issue that affects old AR and KLH acoustic suspension speakers - namely, the surrounds were originally treated with a "dope" to make them airtight, and over time it has dried out, flaked of, generally gone away.

If that is your issue - and you can test by simply pressing the woofer cone in gently; if it snaps right back, something's not sealed, if it oozes back over a second or more, it's fine - then AK user RoyC sells a butyl rubber dope that should work. Restoring the seal will tighten and improve the bass response from your woofers.

I am, however, pretty unfamiliar with Utah drivers so you may want to wait for someone to confirm that I'm telling you the right things.
wow, i must look into that when i dismantle for inspection. thank you.

I'll take some photos, thank you. Acoustic suspension. Cloth surrounds (Utah). While I wait for the caps to arrive, I may take everything apart to inspect everything and take photos. I'd like to clean the grills too but that is another discussion, which I've researched in past threads here. the only thing I'm unsure of is how to remove the staples to remove the cloth grills; don't want to damage the Masonite panels. Here is an eBay listing of the speakers only removed: https://www.ebay.com/itm/253431201225?ViewItem=&item=253431201225

Those look nice. Hope they improve after the recap.

Also, with cloth surrounds on the woofers, the cloth surrounds may need to be resealed. If the surrounds have lost their seal, it could affect bass response, and make bass weak. Vintage-AR sells the correct sealant (on eBay)(search 162853833982 - not mine)(RoyC makes it). Just brush it on the surrounds and allow it to dry.

edit - N8Nagel beat me to it...! :D

Also, with cloth surrounds on the woofers, the cloth surrounds may need to be resealed. If the surrounds have lost their seal, it could affect bass response, and make bass weak. Vintage-AR sells the correct sealant (on eBay)(search 162853833982 - not mine)(RoyC makes it). Just brush it on the surrounds and allow it to dry.

Can't find that item number, hmmm.

317devore.cat.jpg

Have you measured to make sure that the black monster pictured CAN'T reach the delicate bits of those speakers? It would have no qualms costing you hundreds of dollars in repair bills.

Have you measured to make sure that the black monster pictured CAN'T reach the delicate bits of those speakers? It would have no qualms costing you hundreds of dollars in repair bills.
when I was a kid, I wished cat woman could've reached--er, my delicates...

Last edited:

Last edited:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom