I don't understand high dollar CD players...

Yesterday I phoned the two local importers of Cambridge Audio gear, because I was finally ready to afford buying a new 840 C, as an upgrade to my loyal 640 C. To my surprise, both told me that they had sold their recently imported stocks in less than two weeks! So, now I have to be on a waiting list ready for the next wave. Locally it is priced at the higher European figure (2000 $), rather than the lower American price. Nevertheless, it seems that dozens of local people are waiting to jump on those units!

Well I suppose that's not surprising. Back when I ordered my Jolida the dealer (The New Tube) told me if I'd waited a little longer I would have had to wait for the next round to come in from the manufacturer, probably about a month, because apparently those sell out too. The black ones especially, but I didn't want black.

I'm sure it'll be worth it guiller, let us know once you've heard it!

I'm sure it'll be worth it guiller, let us know once you've heard it!

Me too! I'm afraid I'll have to wait a bit longer, since I'm planning to go on vacation on January (remember that Summer is coming to this part of the planet). So, if the next batch comes in that period, I'll probably miss it again! Well, sooner or later I'll get it and will let you know my impressions on it.

High dollar CD players...

I agree with what guiller says but, with that being said, there are caveats.
I own an Esoteric pair i.e. D-05 and P-05. I purchased them used on Audiogon 4-5 years ago for about half the original price i.e. $7,500 a piece for a total of $15,000. Recently the P-05 (player) started acting up when playing SACDs. It would hiccup and eventually stop playing.
I contacted Teac (Esoteric is a (high-end) brand name of Teac) which is just up the road from me. I was quoted $1,100 to "fix" this unit, even if I drove uo there to save some freight. I then found a manufacturer that made transorts for CD/SACD players. I emailed them asking if a particular transport would work in the Esoteric unit. They did not reply! that was a couple of weeks ago!So I then ordered an Oppo 105 which I had Oppo shipped to Modwright to do his "mod" (worth every cent, by the way).

So, the moral of the story, buy the Oppo modded or not. You'll be thousands of dollars ahead.

Then Oppo sent me an email sayiong that they noted that the unit was being shipped to a "known modder" and that any modification would void thewarranty. Who cares? I believe in and trust Dan Wright more than Oppo... I did business with him before.

So much for high-dollar (read Esotric) CD players...

You used your "Second" post on AK, to respond to a Thread that hasn't been active for nearly 4 years?

Good thinking! :thmbsp:

Best Regards,
TerryO

You used your "Second" post on AK, to respond to a Thread that hasn't been active for nearly 4 years?

Best Regards,
TerryO

I'm not sure what to make of this statement. Jfpmft hasn't done anything wrong or out of the ordinary. What does "good thinking" mean in this context?

Best Regards,
TerryO

Yeah jfpmft, be careful, you might run out of posts.

cubdog

I think I should chime in and put my 2 cents. I owned and sold more cd players than many people here. If I should count all of them it will be easily 100. I pretty much tried all Denons in the DCD-xxxx family. Tried several Yamaha CDX-1000 and up series. Tried Nakamichis, Tried the behemoth 60pounder Onkyo DX-G10, several SE series Sonys, California Audio Labs, a few Arcams, a coupld of Wadia such as the 860, one Burmester, a few Revox and a few I can't remember.

The range in difference sound difference between all these models is not as wide as speakers but there is a definite and clear difference among them. Unlike many of you, I consider cd players almost as analog machines.

wsjoe

Only having a cheap Aiwa 5 disc cd player at the moment, I just got a Emotiva ERC-2 delivered today, I am keen to see or hear what differences if any there are between them.

Our Audio club replaced our Sony 777 with an OPPO not too long ago. The Oppo is absolutely wonderful sounding and certainly beats many of the Custom Music Servers that members bought for more money that the OPPO costs.

I think I should chime in and put my 2 cents. I owned and sold more cd players than many people here. If I should count all of them it will be easily 100. I pretty much tried all Denons in the DCD-xxxx family. Tried several Yamaha CDX-1000 and up series. Tried Nakamichis, Tried the behemoth 60pounder Onkyo DX-G10, several SE series Sonys, California Audio Labs, a few Arcams, a coupld of Wadia such as the 860, one Burmester, a few Revox and a few I can't remember.

The range in difference sound difference between all these models is not as wide as speakers but there is a definite and clear difference among them. Unlike many of you, I consider cd players almost as analog machines.

wsjoe

I am certainly surprised at the sound quality of my new to me Emotiva ERC-2, it's certainly opened my eyes and ears to what a Cd can sound like.

Back
Top Bottom