I feel like starting over

Have you tried any class A solid state like pass labs?, or how about those new ncore 400 DIY module amps.:scratch2:

JohnVF has a Pass Aleph 30 and can comment. Last I heard he absolutely loves it. I have a Pass F5 clone and think it is the cat's ass!

Have you tried any class A solid state like pass labs?, or how about those new ncore 400 DIY module amps.:scratch2:

I've been looking at Pass Labs, First Watt, gear for quite a few years. I'm also intrigued by Odyessy amps. DIY is not a strong suit. Unfortunately one of the disatvantages of early retirement is a restricted budget for audio gear. My other passion, golf, takes up a big portion of my fun money. I'm in the posistion where I always need to sell something before making large expenditures.

cubdog

JohnVF has a Pass Aleph 30 and can comment. Last I heard he absolutely loves it. I have a Pass F5 clone and think it is the cat's ass!

I still absolutely love it. My favorite amp that I've ever heard (at least, with the Harbeth SHL-5...it wasn't as good with the Quad 63, they like more power). It's hard to describe its sound. Doesn't sound like tubes or solid state. It sounds sort of like my Leben CS-300x but with better bottom end. If I could pick what I like about tubes and what I like about solid state, and put them in one amp...it would be the Aleph 30.

I've been looking at Pass Labs, First Watt, gear for quite a few years. I'm also intrigued by Odyessy amps. DIY is not a strong suit. Unfortunately one of the disatvantages of early retirement is a restricted budget for audio gear. My other passion, golf, takes up a big portion of my fun money. I'm in the posistion where I always need to sell something before making large expenditures.

cubdog

The Pass designs and Odyssey are hotter running which im sure you know, and the Odyssey is meant to be left on 247 for best performance. It would be the complete opposite of the Bel Canto amps. The Odyssey are a good bang for the buck and Claus is a hell of a guy to work with if you don't talk Chinese gear with him.

Last edited:
I still absolutely love it. My favorite amp that I've ever heard (at least, with the Harbeth SHL-5...it wasn't as good with the Quad 63, they like more power). It's hard to describe its sound. Doesn't sound like tubes or solid state. It sounds sort of like my Leben CS-300x but with better bottom end. If I could pick what I like about tubes and what I like about solid state, and put them in one amp...it would be the Aleph 30.

Would you know right off what transistors Nelson used in the Aleph 30?

EDIT: Never mind, I see he has 6 Mosfet per channel and they are said to be a bit better MOSFETS.....reducing the noise floor. That puppy aint meant for a small closed in room....its said to put out some heat. With the FETS....I know its my kind of amp....Thats why I asked about the transistors, when ever you hear what you said..."If I could pick what I like about tubes and what I like about solid state, and put them in one amp...it would be the Aleph 30"....thats generally talk about extreemly good amps with some type of FETS....gives a more of a hybrid sound. And I like a hybrid sound. Audio By Van Alstine has some nice SS designs as well as Musical Concept/Designs has some as well with quality FETS producing that nice hybrid sound...but they are not as good as the Pass Designs.

This is what Dick Olsher of Enjoy the music.com said of the Aleph 30
it is the most musical solid-state I have yet to audition over the past forty years. It effectively bridges the gap between solid-state and tube sound, blending tube and transistor virtues into a musically satisfying whole.

Nice score there with that amp.

Last edited:
The Pass designs and Odyssey are hotter running which im sure you know, and the Odyssey is meant to be left on 247 for best performance. It would be the complete opposite of the Bel Canto amps. The Odyssey are a good bang for the buck and Claus is a hell of a guy to work with if you don't talk Chinese gear with him.

The heat issue is one of the main reasons I went the Bel Canto route.

cubdog

Yeah, the Aleph 30 isn't a cool running amp but it doesn't put out any more heat than a Stereo 70.

I'd like to hear Bel Canto, if I ever get out your way Ross. The only Class-D I've really spent time with is the Pioneer SC-27's modified ICEpower. It's very nice but the Aleph 30 is a better sounding unit. Also, part of the reason I like mine so much is that the preamp its hooked up with, Klyne SK-6L, really works well with it...I've had a passive on it, and it lost some life and character. The gear merry-go-round has made me very very picky over here.

I once had a ST-70 that kept my small room nice and toasty. In comparison the big bottle 2a3s produce very little heat.

I had MKIII monoblocks and that was my least favorite feature, the heat. Definitely can't have that now with a little boy running around.

i havent gotten to the point of wanting to start over yet...after all i have only been an "audiophile" for 9 months...

JohnVF....you think Frank Van Alstine had the Aleph 30 in mind when he designed his face plates?

Insight-260-RS-373pix.jpg

volksamp1.jpg

Yep...Volksamp....VanAlstine. I had an amp from "VA Systems", Van Alstine after he left or whatever. Nice amp, VA Systems Model 3. Robie has it now, it's a nice unit.

As for starting over....I had that mood ever 6 months. Even now, I'm buying an integrated amp (Accuphase) because I want to just change the look of my living room and for a bit not have gear laying around everywhere. But the Aleph/Harbeth setup is it for me as far as sound. I've heard enough gear to know that that is exactly what I was chasing. Anything else is me just wanting to mess around with some different gear for a bit, and not to replace the main setup.

John...im learning something here from you...are you suggesting there is a connection with Frank and Nelson some how? Tell me the story because I had no idea about Volksamp and VanAlstine...all I noticed was the face plates and saw a connection but you say there was a real connection...whats the skinny?

John...im learning something here from you...are you suggesting there is a connection with Frank and Nelson some how? Tell me the story because I had no idea about Volksamp and VanAlstine...all I noticed was the face plates and saw a connection but you say there was a real connection...whats the skinny?

Nah, I was just noticing they had the same initials. The Aleph 30 has VA on the front because its actually from "Volksamp", or at least was until Pass reverted to calling it a Pass Labs product. It was made by them regardless.

There's an Aleph 3 and Aleph 5 on 'gon. Tempting but I'm sick of spending money on audio.

Honestly, though...its everything I want from an amp.

Look guys there is nothing wrong with tube gear. As I said, if anyone was listening, I have had and still do have tube gear. No one however, will convince me that tubes are as economical or as convenient as class D products. With that said, while it is unlikely that I will build my main system on tubes it isn't out of the question. I'm just not as enthralled by tubes as some of you are.

cubdog

Actually, you know, I've had the DAC 2.5 and have listed to the DAC 1.5. I find Bel Canto has a slightly warm toned signature thats very rich in the mids. Female voices through that DAC gave me goose bumps with the richness of the tone. And to be honest, the very first time I heard Bel Canto I was amazed at the big sound that came from the smaller boxes. I even asked my dealer if they where tubed and he said no. While the Bel Canto amps are very good at what they do, I have never been a fan of digital amps. To me digital power amps always seem to be missing a little something I can't figure out. But that DAC I really like and may go with the DAC 1.5 or the Musical Fidelity DAC1. What I really like about the Bel Canto DAC's is you can run them as preamps as well, which is really a good thing making things really simple.

Thanks for the link, and yes I have seen it. My Bel Canto DAC 1.5 is one component that won't be going anywhere. While it lacks a phono stage that's fine with me as I don't plan on adding a TT to my system. I believe the 2.5 will handle TTs.

cubdog

Yeah and I was surpised it worked...but it made vinyl sound like digital, thats one reason I took it back seeing the 1.5 is the same with out the analog and a lot cheaper. I don't blame you for keeping the 1.5....I mean I was really please with it.

Back
Top Bottom