I got a Soundsmith level 2 stylus on a DL-110

Discussion in 'Turntables' started by Zvezda, Jun 9, 2018.

1. Zvezda

Zvezda AK Subscriber Subscriber

It was time to replace or retip my DL-110, so I decided to send my backup cartridge into Soundsmith to try the level 2 retip. This is the line contact stylus with a sapphire cantilever. It wasn't much more expensive than a new DL-110, and I was happy enough with that cartridge that I wasn't looking for anything else. I'm happy to report that it was absolutely worth it and it's elevated the performance of the DL-110 well beyond what I was expecting. It retains its even tonal balance but has vastly improved stereo separation and high frequency performance, especially in inner grooves. The slight congestion I used to hear on the inner grooves is completely gone.

Long story short, if you're considering this retip on a DL-110, I'd highly recommend going this route.

DavidTT and tnsilver like this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. tnsilver

tnsilver AK Subscriber Subscriber

Thanks for that input. I really love that cart. It's over shadowed by higher end carts like DV's at 4 time it's current price, but it is a real fine sounding and balanced cart. Can you believe I got a load of them from comet supply while they were $87 a pop? I miss those days and cherish what I salvaged from back then. It's nice to have a retip option that's proved successful. I may use that tip! :thumbsup:

DavidTT likes this.
  3. needlestein

needlestein AK Subscriber Subscriber

IMHO the Level 2 is the way to go due to the mechanical low mass joint. The others are all relying solely on the glue bond. It’s stronger, more rigid and lighter weight than the others.

DavidTT likes this.
  4. ConfuciusSay

ConfuciusSay AK Subscriber Subscriber

Cool thanks for sharing! been considering a retip on my 103

5. bobins08

bobins08 AK Subscriber Subscriber

@Zvezda Good to hear this info. Thanks for posting.

6. AudioJag

AudioJag AK Subscriber Subscriber

I did exactly the same thing with my Denon DL-160 and posted it in the forum. The sound quality is outstanding! And I hate to say it but it easily compares to my Sound-Smith Boheme which lists for around $1200..... The retip is absolutely worth the money and time.

Please register to disable this ad.

7. gnuyork

gnuyork Active Member

Good to know. Thanks for the report. I have and love the DL110. Was wondering how I would replace it when it's time (not for a long time). This is a good option. The fact that it makes it even better is icing on the cake.