I got big horns...

Punker X

Staff member
Subscriber
I got big horns... I got big horns... this keeps going through my mind to an old AC/DC song...

My summer experiment with horns and tubes...

X

That project didn't take long to put together...so what's your verdict? Are they going to replace the Ohm F's?

Jon

Got "I"s not F's, its still up in the air. I like many things the LaScalas do, but thats in the sweet spot. The ohm throw a huge sound field and can sound good out in the yard or the other side of the house.

May try them with the solid state set up, the Fisher doesn't have the fuctionality of the Marantz, but I think 125 watts is a little over kill for these. Might just try the 1200 as a pre for now.

X

Originally posted by Punker X
May try them with the solid state set up, the Fisher doesn't have the fuctionality of the Marantz, but I think 125 watts is a little over kill for these. X

Probably. The HK 430 I run I rarely turn past 9:00 and that's 25 wpc. At 125 wpc, me, Grumpy, R2R, and Bauhausler probably would know what you're playing :D

Isn't today the first day of summer? You're not much of a procrastinater.

Looks great.

Andy:

maybe I should bi-amp with the Marantz's and then Thor could listen in.

Ski:

I actually got them up and running on Saturday, couple days early. I think its going to take a while to tweeking and playing wit them to get the most out them.

Need to thank NOSvalves. His type AA crossovers are on loan, and Bauhausler, his hand me down empty cabinets, by way of Grumpy.

X

Andy:

Maybe I should bi-amp with the Marantz's and then Thor could listen in.
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

But you'd have to play .mp3's then :D

Russ so you got a pair of Model 19's AND a pair of Khorns?????

I hate you, I really, really do! :mad:

;)

Don't hate me, come buy them. I'll even put you on a coupon book if you need to do Easy-pay.

;)

Cheers,
Russ

Man I wish, shipping is definetely the back breaker in any Model 19 or Khorn deal :(

I got big horns... I got big horns... this keeps going through my mind to an old AC/DC song...

My summer experiment with horns and tubes...

X

Nice job! I hope they'll work well for you. There is a definite sweet spot to those, but it's extremely sweet. You want to hear those sing like nothing else, I have a very special SE 300B amp sitting in the box that I'll lend you. 7 Watts is more than enough, and the 300B has the right tone for that speaker. Horns show the difference between SE and PP much more profoundly than any other speaker of my experience, and this is one area where the difference in sound in unarguable. SE triodes and horns give you this psychedelic 3-D effect on some material that just makes you blink twice, shake your head and go "HUH?" For some of us that freaky effect is a very important thing that we're looking for.

Bauhausler,

I might just have to take you up on the offer. I'm already experiencing pretty precise imaging.

I'm not sure if I'm just getting use to them or if new diaphragms take some time to burn in. They are sounding better and better. I ended up getting some non-working drivers and all's they needed were new diaphragms. Definately abused, all the coils were burnt pretty bad. Got the woofers and composite horns new from Klipsch.

X

Back
Top Bottom