I got no idea but glad it was working again.

Blue Shadow

Waiting for Vintage Gear from this century
I picked up a pile of gear a decade ago for 20 bucks, with every remote for the units. Three CDCs, Receivers, TV, cassette, 7 units, 5 remotes. Put a lot of it to use.

TV died, a few years ago, no problem out it went, got my money's worth out of it.
Cassette was a botl Nak and sold it to a friend, it did sound good, only non-remote unit of the bunch.
Swapped the Yamaha CDC-665 for an Adcom GCD-600. Dang that Adcom has a loud disc change mechanism, but it sounds good.
Gave a CDC to my SIL for use at work.
Sold the TX-904 and bought a TX-906 with some of the money, upgrade, but I think the 904 sounded better, nbd it is a bedroom system component.

Now to the post:
Finally the Onkyo TX-SV90Pro surround sound receiver, totl back then, has been in the TV system since I got it. Used it and well then the right front speaker didn't sound right and the right rear speaker was making odd noises at different times. Sold the Paradigm surround speakers and sub to a friend and since I gave away the Yamaha HTS-10 system to a neighbor when I got the Paradigms, no problem the receiver wasn't fully operational and I got no speakers to use with it.

Since I'm redoing the main rig and needed the power conditioner from the TV system, I pulled the Oink out and had a look inside. Hooked up to some test speakers on the bench, things seemed to work just fine. But since I have experience with these TX units and their relays needing a cleaning (I know, replace em, but the TX-906 only got a cleaning and its relays are working fine 5 years and over 1000 power ups in that time) I decided to clean the relays in this TX-SV unit. In doing so, things were working a bit better but lost the back right channel. Flipping the unit on its side, poking and prodding to verify that I got all the relays cleaned (except headphone, it's different) and some other messing around. A multi-wire jumper had nothing on the RR but the preamp output was fine. Still messing with it and the channel came back. I don't know why, maybe it was a loose speaker connection terminal on the receiver or something like one of the many multi-wire jumpers in the unit. Happy it is working, don't know how long it will stay that way back in the system.

Fixed and I didn't figure out what made it work and now I have another system to reinstall. My neighbor has dropped even more gear in my family room, a JBL Cinema G system, a pair of 10-in three-ways with no value needing refoam, trying to get a neighborhood kid to grab em and he returned the Yamaha HTS system. It's in the basement but I'll bring it up and get it hooked up again and be back to rocking the tv experience 1990s style again.

I just wish I knew what made the receiver play on all channels.

Sometimes you know what is wrong and you fix it.
Sometimes you learn was is wrong and fix the problem and add to your knowledge base.
Sometimes there is no fix and we doorstop the unit.
Then there is the times something starts working right after some work for some unknown reason. Diagnostics not complete, so no way to tell if it was something you did or something else. Whatever, I'll take it.

What made it work? Probably all of the above or a good percentage. OR... maybe you have magic fingers.. like maybe you walked on carpet and discharged a jolt and re-aligned the electron paths! :D Like maybe the unit came from a static polluted environment and your basement sucked all the residual energy out of it.

upload_2018-11-20_15-2-34.png

Hey BTW that was real nice of you to compose to help that poster connect the cables.

Saw that post you did. Thanks. Those are some unusual components to hook up and many would have a time doing it. I have a DL-2 and had PSA-2 and know Crown likes ¼TS plugs. I like em too, they don't zap the system when removed inadvertently.

Forgot to post that the receiver when it hit the bench it was dead for 15 minutes as I tried to figure out why. I had a powered sub between preout mainin, needed to reinstall the jumpers, DOH!

Back
Top Bottom