I got real lucky today...

rkic

I became the recepient of a McIntosh Tuner - MR71, preamp - C22 and MC275 power amp today. I was told that the "stereo" didn't work. I checked all of the fuses and none are blown.
I need a recommendation on how to bring this stuff up. I have a TV-7 tube tester here in Arizona that I will use on the tubes so those will be checked. I have a variac back in New Mexico so that can be used when I get back next week.
So what kind of "bring it back alive" procedures should I follow?

Thanks for the help.

Do you know what you have there ? My god man that is the cream of the crop. Can you say 5 grand worth of gear if its in nice shape ?

Pictures man Pictures !

Great haul!

Well, if I was to stumble across this type of gear I would send it to someone I trusted to go through it for me. McIntosh labs will not work on tube gear. I had to send my MR65-b tuner to be done by a great shop in CT. It sounds GREAT after the work. The best $260 I spent. I have also used Mike Zuccaro in CA with good results on a Fisher FM-1000 tube tuner, and a Fisher 5ooc. Call McIntosh for replacement boxes to assure the tuner arrives safely. They sent my MR77 tuner back to me in a new double box that was a very nice touch. I am sure they will sell you a box for your gear. If you will attempt to do a smoke test on this gear it would be a huge help to use a variac to do it VERY slowly. You need to know how long it sat idle. The tuner should have an alignment done and be all gone through by a pro. The same with the amplifier and the preamplifier. Good luck. Once restored these pieces should keep you grinning for a quite few decades to be sure.

and lastly... sorry it took so long - didn't know how to use son's digital camera.

Bet that the MC275 needs caps in the power supply doubler, how long has it been since the system was in use ?
Nice Find !!!!

Cool..consol queens! These are always the best as they have not been handled. If you take the face plates off the 71 and C22 they need the front glass cleaned with the secret factory restoration liquid..Windex applied with virgin cheesecloth.
Do not clean the surface with the lettering on it. You can clean this with DRY Q-tips and get good results. The foam strips at either end of the glass will be rotted off so remove the sticky refuse and use 1/4" weather strip with adhesive backing. Any hardware store has this. If the MC275 was mounted on its side with the tubes up the chassis should be mint. Watch how you handle these as a set of white cotton gloves will keep you from damaging the lettering on the amp.
If you need a box for the MC275 the new model packing will work and the factory can supply boxes for the 22 and 71.

Ron-C

Originally posted by ron-c
Cool..consol queens! These are always the best as they have not been handled. If you take the face plates off the 71 and C22 they need the front glass cleaned with the secret factory restoration liquid..Windex applied with virgin cheesecloth.
Do not clean the surface with the lettering on it. You can clean this with DRY Q-tips and get good results. The foam strips at either end of the glass will be rotted off so remove the sticky refuse and use 1/4" weather strip with adhesive backing. Any hardware store has this. If the MC275 was mounted on its side with the tubes up the chassis should be mint. Watch how you handle these as a set of white cotton gloves will keep you from damaging the lettering on the amp.
If you need a box for the MC275 the new model packing will work and the factory can supply boxes for the 22 and 71.

Ron-C

Hey dewickt and Ron-C, thanks for the info... that's the kind of stuff I'm looking for.

Originally posted by rkic
Hey dewickt and Ron-C, thanks for the info... that's the kind of stuff I'm looking for.

and I need to add just as soon as I can get the console to NM then back into it the equipment goes....

and I need to add just as soon as I can get the console to NM then back into it the equipment goes....

Thank You! I aways feel better when people don't trash for cash
vintage cabinets. :thmbsp:

I hope to see pics of the console. :)
Pretty Please? When you can, of course.

Carl

Originally posted by CarlV
Thank You! I aways feel better when people don't trash for cash
vintage cabinets. :thmbsp:

I hope to see pics of the console. :)
Pretty Please? When you can, of course.

Carl

Update: I took the tuner and preamp, one at a time, out to the garage and fired up the air compressor... using a foam paint brush and the compressed air I was able to shine up the tuner and preamp very nicely. I took the top cover off the preamp and blew it out as well. Noticed some mongo sized resistors - the size of capacitors... ten watters?
Per Ron-C I removed the front glass and was able to clean it using his secret windex method... On the tuner and preamp the lettering is on the back of the second glass panel so I was able to use windex on the front of that glass as well. The tuner and preamp cleaned up very nicely - there is still some slight haze on the inside of the glass of the tuner and a little bit more on the preamp but I will leave well enough alone on these.

I have a friend that is coming here around the 10th of June with his suburban. He said that he will pick up the console if it will fit in his suburban... it should.

That's it for now... so far so good.

Back
Top Bottom