I guess it's past time for me to do one of these...

HappyT_Harry

Arcam Asylum
Hey fellow ak'ers. My name is Evan and I'm an audioholic. But first a little bit about myself. I am 19 years old and am currently attending Ole Miss, majoring in Electrical Engineering. I am originally from Pontotoc(near Tupelo) ,MS and have lived there my whole life. I am a dog lover, that is my lab Otis in my profile picture. I don't have job at the moment, but have worked at a Piggly Wiggly and an auto parts store.

My addiction started at a young age because my dad gave me his Technics speakers and receiver when I was in the 6th or 7th grade. Nothing too impressive, the speakers sound pretty bad actually unless you are cranking them really loud to some rock music, but I was hooked. Plus it sounded better and was louder than all of my friends stuff.

Needless to say, I got bored with what I had and decided that I needed some better speakers, and they had to be big. So for Christmas one year, maybe 9th grade, I got some new KLHs that were big (12 in woofer and 12 in passive radiator). Needless to say I was happy for a little while with my speakers that were almost as tall as me, and they did everything I asked them to do(pretty much blew me out of my bedroom).

Well, that worked fine for a little while, but then I got that itch and had to have something new. So I decided to try out home theater. I went to my local Circuit City and decided to get a budget Sony home theater system along with a Velodyne subwoofer. I've not been to happy with the Sony(you get what you pay for), but I love the Velodyne for movies.

I ended up putting the Sony in the living room and putting the Technics receiver back in my bedroom where I did most of my listening. I wouldn't have known it got much better if it weren't for Mike aka SansuiFlorida.

This past summer while working for my uncle down in Florida, by some weird coincidence, I found a Sansui receiver and got to listen to all of Mike's top-of-the-line equipment all in the same week. I found the receiver in my uncle's office at work and Mike lives in my uncle's neighborhood. Mike was also gracious enough to send me away with a pair of sp-3500s. Anyways, after this enlightenment, I have been back on track searching every thrift store and questioning everyone that I know.

So far my search has yielded a Yamaha CR-620 from the thrift, and my first turntable, a Pioneer PL-12D, from another uncle. But my absolute favorite piece is my Sansui 8080. I will be making a thread in the Sansui forum showing it off when I get around to taking some pictures. Many thanks go out to Mike for that one. Made for a very merry Christmas.

Well, I guess that brings us up to date. I am very grateful, and audiokarma is very fortunate to have members like Mike. Just an example of how cool this site really is.

welcome aboard don't let the natural sound of the 620 spoil you for any other brand of stereo LOL

Wow, not TOO far away from me... the closest AK'er I've seen so far.

You have some REALLY nice gear going, lucky you found this hobby at a young age... not when you were an old man like myself! I see my modest little collection rapidly growing in the very near future though :lmao:

If you ever find yourself in my neck of the woods let me know, we can have a listening party!

Back
Top Bottom