I Have A Decision To Make: Nak RX-202 or BX-300

BirdLives

I have a pristine BX-300 in great working condition and picked up a very clean RX-202 that is non-functional (I suspect it needs belts, an idler wheel and possible other service).

The question: If I can only keep one of these decks, which one should I keep and why?

I would greatly appreciate your thoughts and opinions... many thanks.

Probably bx 300 for several reasons. For 1 dd. 202 is belt drive.
Bx is 3 head,202 is 2 head. Bx is at the top of the heap,you would be hard pressed finding a better sounding deck at any price. Its up there among the best. Its the same sankyo transport as the cr7,cr5,cr4. 202 is sankyo transport too but a bit simpler, 2 head belt drive. The reel motor and cam motors are identical on both decks and both subject to dead spots.
The 202 is a real decent deck, and the udar works very well. Its also a very good sounding 2 head deck.
But if you had to choose 1. The bx.

I own the 202, Did belt replacement's and has been trouble free. Sounds very good, And nice recordings. The auto reverse is genius IMO. The tape stays in same position, As you know I'm sure. BX 300 is a newer machine and as mentioned DD, A huge plus. Belt replacement was not fun!

You need both cause the 202 is just so cool.

The 202 is definitely the coolest of the auto-reverse players. I'm surprised it isn't dual capstan since the reverse mechanism negates the problems with auto-reverse and dual capstans. I also would go with the BX-300. I purchased one new just after they came out. I believe they were going for $695. Within the last year it developed a reel motor problem. I wasn't using it and didn't want to mess with repairing so offered it to an AK'er a few months ago. I now have a job where I routinely repair Nakamichi MR-1s for archiving. I currently have a BX-300 I'm repairing to add to our inventory. Nice player, but a pain to repair.

The 505 tape flipping mechanism is the same as the 202. But any and all similarity ends there. The 505 is on another level altogether. Completely different deck,classic transport,3 head, dual capstan not sankyo. Kind of like comparing a Cadillac to a Ford Pinto. :) Except of course the 202 wont burst into flames.

Last edited:
BX-3OO > RX-2O2

The RX series address the problems with ROTATING HEADS common on autoreverse mechanisms where the heads get knocked out of alignment.

i thinks BX 300 is different segment vs rx-202, for long use, i suggest don't use auto reverse-deck, like rx-202, for instance. Not because or say that rx-202 was not good but auto reverse deck tend face many problems than single play deck like bx-300, i think for daily use, bx 300 is the best deck you can get vs it's competitor

Actually...RX 202 is not auto reverse in the sense your thinking. The heads dont flip like on other AR decks. The tape itself flips so you dont have azimuth problems like on a head flipping deck. Tape travel is always the same direction like on a regular non AR deck. So not using the auto reverse feature would be a waste of a "good" AR deck. Nak UDAR is that good.

Have to agree with zedex here. The UDAR takes much of the reverse issue away and is a very reliable solution.

Actually...RX 202 is not auto reverse in the sense your thinking. The heads dont flip like on other AR decks. The tape itself flips so you dont have azimuth problems like on a head flipping deck. Tape travel is always the same direction like on a regular non AR deck. So not using the auto reverse feature would be a waste of a "good" AR deck. Nak UDAR is that good.

Nakamichi UDAR is the only cassette deck which is auto-reverse without compromise. The tape cassette flips instead of the heads, keeping the azimuth alignment stable and not an issue. A tour de force in cassette deck build and engineering, and also equally a tour de force in the sound quality too.

what's big difference between RX202 and RX505 indeed?

RX 202 is single capstan sankyo transport, belt drive, 2 head with UDAR.
RX 505 is dual capstan classic nak transport with pad lifter,belt drive, 3 head with UDAR. Has seek function,different controls.
The 2 decks share the UDAR mechanism, but the 505 is in a different category in terms of tactile experience. Silent,silky smooth operation.
Its a work of art and if you can get your mitts on one.Do it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom