I have a stupid question...

Kevin's Rack

Technics-aholic
...Before you say "there's no such thing as a stupid question", I suggest you read my whole post here.

I know McIntosh is a very high end and very reputable audio manufacturer. In addition to that, I am also aware they built some freakin huge stuff. Soooo, my question is:
What makes those 'Macs so expensive? Do they make their own electronic components? Are their things hand made? Are they made in America? What is it that makes them as expensive as they are? I genuinely do not know the answer, and I honestly hope that everyone who reads this will not take this post the wrong way, nor offensively. If I have done that, please accept my deepest apologies with utmost sincerity. With that said, thanks for any advice or anything else. If anyone knows the history of McIntosh, I would be more than grateful.

Made and designed in America, they make their chassis, front panels, most transformers, and use quality components. Build quality is the best as shown by many models that are worth more as they get older. Check out the McIntosh home page at www.mcintoshlabs.com , here they answer a lot of your questions.

Men's Journal

This current issue of Men's Journal has a segment titled, " 32 great american classics for your ultimate wishlist". In this segment, they have Mcintosh audio equipment for the best audio category. The description below shows the detail that Mcintosh goes into when producing their products and may give some insite as to why they are so expensive......

Mcintosh Audio Equipment:

It may look forbidding from the outside, but the innards of a Mcintosh amp relfect a series of carefully considered choices, all aimed at creating the truest sound possible. While most companies use mechanical switches, Mcintosh, founded in 1955 in Binghamton, New York, opts for ultrasilent electromagnetic dials on its pre-amps, which use wires suspended in tiny nitrogen-filled glass tubes. The trademark "blue eye" power meters reveal output in wattage as well as voltage, to help minimize distortion. Vacuum tubes deliver warmer, more nurturing sound than transisters ever could. High-pressure water jetes take three days to cut out the black glass faceplate, and circuit boards are still assembled by people, not machines. And if you need further proof that the company ponders every detail and takes every care, employees sign every circuit board they touch.

I personally feel that Mcintosh prices are pretty reasonable compared to the likes of Krell, Mark Levinson........... and so on... :thmbsp:

Pete

Pictures do not do Mac gear justice.

When you actually see this stuff close up, you quickly realize the quality vs. imitators.

Mac value.

I paid $2,995 for my MC 2255 amp in 1984. "McIntosh for sale" site has a mint 2255 (mine's mint too) listed:

MC2255 2x250W Amp. 1 $3000 Mint

Similar experience, Hepcat....

I bought my first Mac MX-110 from the owner/dealer where I worked - his personal one when it was about 10 years old. I paid him $350 for it in 1974 - about the same as he paid for it 10 years earlier. (It was stolen from my rented house some years later, BTW.)

A couple of years ago, I bought another one and paid $650 for it. Restored with the appropriate new components, it still performs as it did the day my old friend, the dealer, put it into use.

For me, that's what Mac means, consistent quality in both build and performance.

Cheers,

David

Kevin's Rack said:
...Before you say "there's no such thing as a stupid question", I suggest you read my whole post here.

I know McIntosh is a very high end and very reputable audio manufacturer. In addition to that, I am also aware they built some freakin huge stuff. Soooo, my question is:
What makes those 'Macs so expensive? Do they make their own electronic components? Are their things hand made? Are they made in America? What is it that makes them as expensive as they are? I genuinely do not know the answer, and I honestly hope that everyone who reads this will not take this post the wrong way, nor offensively. If I have done that, please accept my deepest apologies with utmost sincerity. With that said, thanks for any advice or anything else. If anyone knows the history of McIntosh, I would be more than grateful.

In addition to what everyone else has posted. I have an integrated McIntosh amp, it is at least 26 yrs old (could be as old as 33 yrs). A McIntosh tuner that is also 26-32 yrs old, and a McIntosh CD player that is 17-18 yrs old. All of the components sound as good or better than most equipment you can buy nowadays. Definition and clarity are unmatched, as is durability. I use them everyday, and can use the amp to shake the house all night long without it overheating or burning up. These are additional reasons why McIntosh equipment is as expensive as it is. Oh and on a further note, the tuner and amp I have have a resale value higher than they sold for new (a lot of McIntosh equipment appreciates or depreciates very little). In conclusion, if you're a discerning listener of music and like clear, accurately reproduced music and equipment that can be passed on to future generations of your family or used as an investment, pay the extra money and buy McIntosh. Once you go Mac, you won't go back :lmao: .

Back
Top Bottom