I have had a Nikon D7100 for about a week now. So far, awesome.

fredcohiba

I have been shooting Nikon for about 10 years. First a D40x then a D300. On a lark, I bought a Nikon factory refurbished D7100 from an on line authorized Nikon dealer. So far, I think the D7100 is in another class. The pictures seem sharper, have better exposure, color and contrast and all without any fiddling of the settings. To get close to the same output in the D300, I have to adjust many of its settings.
I am really happy with this camera so far, and it will take me a month of Sundays to go through all the menus and settings and learn its operations. That being said, straight out of the box, it is magnificent.

I've been looking at this and the D7200 on you tube recently and I'm thinking about trading my Fuji Xpro1 and its three lenses (18mm,27mm and 35mm) for either one of them. I don't feel the need to have the D7200 just because it's the latest. I'm getting to really like my D3200. The reason I am trading my Fuji Xpro1 is because the zoom lenses are too expensive for me. Well, that and a bit of cad (camera aquisition disorder:D).

I started with a D3200, then my son upgraded to a D750 so he gave me his D5300 in trade for my D3200 which he is keeping as a second, crop sensor frame. I do like flip around screen in e D5300.

What glass are you all using? I've learned good photos is as much, maybe more, about the quality of the lens rather than the frame or pixel count. That said, I've gotten good results with the newer VR versions of 18-55 and 55-200 Nikon kit lenses.

Best gift I gave myself beyond the 'kit' lenses is a Nikkor 35mm f1.8 DX and a Nikkor 50mm f1.8g prime lenses. Sharp photos and 'fast' , wide apertures- shoot in low light with no flash and modest ISO. They can be bought used in good condition for around $150 each, a steal.

I also just got my son's Nikkor 85mm f1.8 in my bag as he bought the new Tamron 70-200mm. He spends more on lenses than I do cars, but he does get good pix!

Attached are a couple photos taken with my 55-200mm VRII Nikkor. Originals are even sharper.

Attachments

• mc 1.jpg
    mc 1.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 36
  • mc 2.jpg
    mc 2.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
I always enjoyed shooting with the 7100, the big advantage with the 7200 is the buffer. For sports and wildlife it is really nice to have. But over all the 7100 is a really nice all purpose body.

What glass are you all using? I've learned good photos is as much, maybe more, about the quality of the lens rather than the frame or pixel count. That said, I've gotten good results with the newer VR versions of 18-55 and 55-200 Nikon kit lenses.

cgutz has it right, it's all about the glass.

The only kit lens I use is a Nikon 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 and it does a good job for what it is. I use it the least of my lenses, which is why I ordered it instead of the 17-55mm f/2.8 at 5 times the price. I also have a Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 VR, a Nikon 50mm f/1.4, and I just ordered a used Nikon AF 10.5mm f/2.8G ED DX Fisheye. I also have a Nikon TC-17E II (1.7x) Teleconverter that I sometimes use with the 70-200. I had a cheapo Promaster 1.7x teleconverter, but I replaced it with the used Nikon that I found on the local CL.

I use these lenses with Nikon D500 and D300 bodies. Both have the add-on battery grip.

When I ordered my D7000 as an upgrade to my then D80, it came with the 18-55 kit lens. At the time you couldn't order it as a body only. I had ordered my D80 with the 18-200 VR lens when I got it. I never really shot the 18-55 much. I ended up giving it away with the D80 when I traded my brother for all his old Nikon film camera and lenses.

I have a variety of manual focus lenses that I use now with my Sony A7ii and Nex-7 cameras. It's great having the image stabilization built into the body of the A7ii so all the old lenses are easier to use. I still have the D7000, but it hasn't been out of the bag for quite some time now.
Here's an example from last weekend.

DSC05982 (Large).JPG

Sorry, I'll get a couple uploaded later. I love the amazing detail from this camera! I was trying to see if my lenses needed fine tuning but I don't think so.

Last edited:
DSC_1699.jpg This photo top left was taken with a 35mm lens to show how far away the hills across the loch are. I took it through my window and cropped the curtains away. It was a "snap" decision :D. I know there is moire pattern on the roof slates but at 100% it was gone.

Street Sign.jpg
The photo above (70-300mm@300mm) of a street sign and van between the buildings. Not bad for hand held.
Little House Across The Loch.jpg
The one above and below are of a little house across the loch and the hillside above the house. It looks a bit blue but there was a haze. It is much sharper than my D3200. If we get more than a couple of hours sunshine some day, I will have to get out and take a trip somewhere with it. But so far I love it!
Hillside.jpg

Last edited:
I have a D90, a D300 and a D7000.

I mostly use older lenses. Non-AF primes and a couple non-AF zooms. My most used lenses over the last couple years have been a 55mm f3.5 micro/macro and a 35-70 mm f3.5. Fantastic lenses that can be picked up for super cheap.

I have a couple more modern AF primes for events where people are moving. A 35mm f1.8, the 50mm f1.8G and the 85 f1.8.

Only modern zoom I ever really use is the 18-70mm. It lacks VR, but it often doesn't make much of a difference with how and where I shoot with that lens.

Then I have a 70-200 f2.8 that I borrow on occasion for events. Great lens but a bit heavy if you don't truly need it. The Nikon 70-200f4 VR is great but a bit pricy compared to the Canon 70-200 f4 IS which is available for well under $1,000 used in great condition.

I have had a series of Nikon SLR and DSLR since the 1980's. I am so deep in Nikon glass that I have stayed with them. The latest is a D7200 which I dearly love. It was a significant step up from my D300. The D7200 is absolutely the best camera I have ever owned, Great clarity, super low light performance and fast accurate auto focus. I usuall have a 18-200mm Japan made VRI lens. (I keep the D300 in the bag with a really fast 35mm lens). It is basically the same camera as a 7100 with better buffer. I recommend it highly!

I just picked up a D7200 myself. Overall I am pleased, but I do miss the deeper grip and flipping touchscreen on my D5500. The main reason I switched was for a bigger viewfinder and better AF in low light. The finder on the 5500 is much smaller and dimmer.

I shot a wedding with my 7100 this weekend just love it. Almost 400 shots taken and not one was off in exposure, color, or focus. I am currently only using Nikon lenses.

I've been a Nikon user for almost 25 years. I started with an old F3 and have since owned an F4, F5, F6 (which I currently own), D40, D50, D60, D70, D70s, D80, D90, D100, D200, D300, D700, D5300, D7000 D3, D3s, D4, and Df.

Of the crop sensor cameras, the D5300 has been the best (which is why I still own it). In fact, I've either sold, or am in the process of selling off all my pro lenses. I no longer shoot paid gigs, so I really don't need to lug around a Pelican 1650 full of camera gear. I've yet to try the D7100 or D7200, but I'd like to be able to shoot a 10.5 fisheye and a Tokina 50-135, so an upgrade is a possibility. The lack of an anti-aliasing filter is a big plus in these bodies.

Back
Top Bottom