I have inherited my wife's old laptop and it has serious problems.

I'm posting here so I can remember to read and re-read through this. I just picked up a new 10 laptop and am completely lost on what's what and where. I might try to download a fresh windows to usb so I won't have to worry about bloat that's there somewhere.

I am wanting to clean the USB ports on my new old laptop as they are all seemingly a little hit and miss as to full connection. Any particular type of contact cleaner I should use or avoid using?

BTW, this little Toshiba is really a good performer! Boots about as fast as my cell phone (which is to say maybe 30 seconds) and is working quite well. Other than the USB ports, sometimes the spacebar doesn't seem to connect which is annoying for typing as I don't notice due to my hunt and peck method of typing as I am looking at the keys!:rolleyes:

I'm posting here so I can remember to read and re-read through this. I just picked up a new 10 laptop and am completely lost on what's what and where. I might try to download a fresh windows to usb so I won't have to worry about bloat that's there somewhere.

Well Beatnik, what I do, when I have purchased a laptop is go to download.com, find IObit`s free program called IObit Uninstaller.

Download & install, run, look for any programs )OEM bloatware) that I don`t want(which is all), nor will ever use, then uninstall, and then use the function of it to find and permanently shred all the lingering residuals that Win`s uninstaller leaves.

That handy app will also remove any undesirable Win apps that show up in it`s section called Win programs..

That freeware is been handy for me stripping out all the OEM pre installed WORTHLESS CRAP, some of which is timed trial versions of Win office, Norton, etc.

Unless you wish to purchase another copy of Win 10 for reasons of upgrading the OS from what came with the laptop, you have already paid for that installed version, and might as well use it, in less it`s version is the slowest OS slug available.

Often, what I do is, unless the machine comes with a large enough drive, is purchase a bigger, and often faster drive( 5400rpm original to 7200rpm replacement upgrade), and transfer the original drive to the newer drive, then strip the BS bloatware from the new drive, and store the original for backup, but all 12 of my computers have SSD`s installed, so the same removal and store of the 7200RPM spindle drive applies for when I upgraded to the SSD..

FWIW. This works for me.

Good luck with whatever method you choose.

Have a great weekend Beatnik.

Kind regards, OKB

I am wanting to clean the USB ports on my new old laptop as they are all seemingly a little hit and miss as to full connection. Any particular type of contact cleaner I should use or avoid using?

BTW, this little Toshiba is really a good performer! Boots about as fast as my cell phone (which is to say maybe 30 seconds) and is working quite well. Other than the USB ports, sometimes the spacebar doesn't seem to connect which is annoying for typing as I don't notice due to my hunt and peck method of typing as I am looking at the keys!:rolleyes:

I wish I could give you a recommendation Alobar for what contact cleaner to use in a USB port, but I have never needed to spray out a port..

Most laptops have at least 2 ports..
Are all ports acting up ?
I wonder if the USB ports were handled roughly when your wife(trust me, woman can be rough on computer physical interfaces) was using that machine, and are just physically fouled up.
Make sure that all the drivers for the USB in device manager are proper and up to date, if the ports don`t feel sloppy when somethings plugged in, if that`s the case, then your own your own, and not much can help you..

Last edited:
I wish I could give you a recommendation Alobar for what contact cleaner to use in a USB port, but I have never needed to spray out a port..

Most laptops have at least 2 ports..
Are all ports acting up ?
I wonder if the USB ports were handled roughly when your wife(trust me, woman can be rough on computer physical interfaces) was using that machine, and are just physically fouled up.
Make sure that all the drivers for the USB in device manager are proper and up to date, if the ports don`t feel sloppy when somethings plugged in, if that`s the case, then your own your own, and not much can help you..
This one has 3 USB 3.0 ports. When she had this machine I remember having to jiggle the USB cables at times.. I know the external DAC seems to be non functional at times so I suspect USB connection issues (tried 3 different cables).. Could be the drivers but would have thought that MS would have handled that when I reloaded win10..

This one has 3 USB 3.0 ports. When she had this machine I remember having to jiggle the USB cables at times.. I know the external DAC seems to be non functional at times so I suspect USB connection issues (tried 3 different cables).. Could be the drivers but would have thought that MS would have handled that when I reloaded win10..

New Win install does not always take care of "all drivers", and the ones they sometimes use can be generic, or old, they provide just enough to make the machine operational .

Going to the OEM laptop site, and either entering the laptop model, OS where requested in the support section of their site, or allow them to scan of the machine for missing, or outdated drivers works too..

Outside of that, A simple and very easy, and has worked well for me for years, is go to and find on download.com. and download IObit`s Driver Booster and install & run..

I should find all drivers that need to be addressed, whether outdated, or missing.

If no drivers are needed, then you may have hardware connector/cable issues with the machine.
Good luck Sir.

You might try using a small brush for gums. Go to the pharmacy and ask about GUM products. You will have to be careful with them but it should not leave any fibers behind. Follow up with a shot of pressurized air.

My usual contact cleaner is basic CRC QD cleaner. Doesn't bother plastics, doesn't leave a film, doesn't cost a fortune.
You might try using a small brush for gums. Go to the pharmacy and ask about GUM products. You will have to be careful with them but it should not leave any fibers behind. Follow up with a shot of pressurized air.

I'm beginning to believe it isn't the USB ports at all. Been using a little FiiO Q1 today, and as soon as I plug it into a USB port and turn it on it immediately loads the driver and is ready to play.

Back
Top Bottom