I have wanted a LINN since I was 15 years old

two dot

Been really looking to get a vinyl rig for the west coast and really wanted a LINN and really did not want to have to deal with bad shippers and lousy packers.

Found this for sale in LA and was able to pick it up and meet a great guy in the process.

139616382-M.jpg

Now my questions are:

I really really need a longer set of cables. This one has the 5 pin plug on the bottom. Can someone recomend a good place for a new, longer cable.

Second, I would like to buy a compatable racord clamp... suggestions???

Lastly, I will be upgrading the cart soon, so would like to hear your recomendations.

Thanks in advance.

Enjoy the music!!!:music: :music: :music: :music: :music:

Congrats on the snatch, if well set-up, you'll be more than happy!

No record clamp on a Linn, no uber mats either, no goober modifications needed! Just play the tunes. For your cables, contact a Linn dealer, other dealers don't know **** about it ! Trust nobody but a reputable Linn dealer for that deck, or else they'll make it sound like a POS most of the time!

Linn doesn't recommend recordn clamps, but I run a Sota Reflex clamp anyways. I think that it tightens-up the sound a bit. Definitely stay with the stock mat through. Linns sound lousy with anything else.

Cables can be purchased at a line Dealer for LOTS of money. Or you can get a new Din plug, and attach your own cables of choice.

Regarding the cartridge: If you can afford to buy a good moving coil cartridge, it is defintiely worth it. :yes:

Thanks for the replies.

I would really appreciate if anyone can give some detail on where the "elusive" cable can be found.

I am not much of a DIYer and would really like to avoid a high cost dealer only item.

Thanks in advance.

ENjoy the music!!!:music: :music: :music: :music: :music:

iirc some of the linn mm budget cartridges were actually made by audio technica and rebadged albeit at a more expensive price..so upgrades shouldn't be too hard to find within the audio technica range..for mm at least:scratch2:
the linn axis is a lovely deck though :thmbsp: again if memory serves well it was a strong 'middle weight' contender in the british t/t scene in the late 80's early 90's..around £330 retail when new...and formed a bridge between the linn basic and linn sondek in their range..
might be worth contacting linn for cable options...generally the idea is to keep t/t phono cables as short as possible due to the small voltage signals they carry...while keeping the deck itself as far away from electrical interference from such as amps and power supplies..catch 22 ? :scratch2:

two dot said:
Thanks for the replies.

I would really appreciate if anyone can give some detail on where the "elusive" cable can be found.

Here's some on needledoctor:

http://www.needledoctor.com/Online-Store/Tonearm-Cables

You may not like the prices:no:

I'm not sure whether there's a specific size DIN that you'd need for that arm either - for instance the ad for the AQ cable at needledoctor for $75 (the only reasonable price one IMO) only mentions using it with AQ arms. I suppose the best way would be to simply email and ask needledoctor. Good luck:D

Jeff

How long a cable are we talking here. You have to be careful with the length of tonearm cables.

Not to mention as Jeff pointed out above they are not exactly cheap. Another option may be to use a PIB and use a slightly longer IC

Grumpy

Just wanted to say enjoy your Axis, I have one in my second system & love it. Got a fully loaded LP12 in the main system. Be careful though when the power goes out I find my Axis spinning after the power comes back on. This is not good, especially if its been spinning for days without notice.

I would recomend keeping the turntable interconnect as short as possible. The signal from the turntable is the most amplified signal in your system and any noise induced on that cable will also be amplified.

One way arround a long tt interconnect would be to get a good phono stage and put it close to the turntable then run a short cable from the tt to the phono preamp and run the long cable from your phono preamp to your integrated amp. I just did a setup for a client with a Simaudio Moon LP5.3 phono preamp and it sounded great.

I saw your post in the McIntosh forum, I think you said you wanted to use your MA6200 and MA6300 with your new Linn. The Simaudio phono preamp has RCA and balanced XLR outputs so you could put your MA6200 and the Linn and the Simaudio phono preamp all in one room and use the RCA output to the MA6200. Then you could run a long XLR balanced interconnect from the Simaudio phono preamp to the MA6300 in another room.

As far as cart recomendations, I would recomend a good MC cart. In the system with the Simaudio phono preamp he was using the new Mobile Fidelity MC cart and it sounded great with the Sim. That cart is big money though, I think $3500.

Victor

scott0527 said:
Is that Allan's? Must be. What's your budget for a cartridge?

Yes, well it was... now its mine...

Thanks for all of the replies. Victor, very good idea. Thank you.

To all of the others that asked, I am not talkin "real" long just 2 meters or so. The set up I have will likely put the table a little ways front the amp.

I have been out of town, so I won't get to try it til next week.

As for cartridge budget...

I would like to stay south of 300 but would step up to another level if the benefit was really going to be noticed.

I think this LINN is a step up for me... my old TT, a JVC QL-50 that I bought 25 years ago is pictured below. It has an ADC "Black Widow" arm on it and has served me well for a long time.

126932201-M.jpg

Thanks again for all of the responses.

two dot said:
As for cartridge budget...

I would like to stay south of 300 but would step up to another level if the benefit was really going to be noticed.
Next to room treatments and a good record cleaner, one of the biggest improvements I have heard in several different systems is upgrading to a high quality moving coil cart. Next to take full advantage of the high quality cart, a great MC phono section is needed. Next...

The benefit of a big money cart would definitely be noticed but this is a slippery slope to go down. Also I can understand not wanting to spend money on a wear item like a cart, but if you keep your records clean (VPI 16.5 cleaner highly recommended) a cart should last at least 3000 hours.

Victor

Benz silver should do just fine on that table

Thanks Victor, your post are always thoughful and insightful.

This table is going to be my "test" for seeing how much I want to delve back into vinyl.

If I find that I am listening to a lot of vinyl and less digital, then I will make some serious upgrades, like the Moon you recomend, and a much higher end cartridge

Time will tell...

I also have my new 201 to look forward to when I get home, so that may influence my listening a little.

Its going to be like Christmas at my house for the next few days!!!

Thanks again Victor.

:music: :music: :music: :music: :music: :music:

two dot said:
This table is going to be my "test" for seeing how much I want to delve back into vinyl.

If I find that I am listening to a lot of vinyl and less digital, then I will make some serious upgrades, like the Moon you recomend, and a much higher end cartridge
Good plan. :thmbsp:

The first upgrade I recomend is the VPI 16.5 cleaner, I had great results with Record Research Labs cleaner which I think was just bought by Mobile Fidelity.

Victor

Part of the issue with long cables is the added capacitance. Some pre's were more sensitive to that than others. Not sure if it also affected the cartridge's response as well.

Increased capacitance will cause high-frequency rolloff. 450pf was the "design standard" but in reality, figures for that and susceptability to it are probably all over the park.

-Ed

Back
Top Bottom