I Just Learn't Something Important

HypnoToad

Ms Puss Puss
Subscriber
All Philips head screws are not created equal especially when it comes to vintage Japanese electronics such as tape decks.

I just found out that they often have different screw heads than their American or European counterparts although they look the same.

That's why it is so easy to strip the head of these screws but there is a solution. You know the feeling when you are trying to remove that small stubborn screw and you strip the head and have to use pliers to mangle it to get it out.

Problem solved as the screwdrivers to use must conform to the Japanese Industrial Standard or JIS. :thmbsp:

"The Phillips driver won't go into the JIS Screw all the way because the corner radius of the screw is smaller than that of the Phillips screwdriver! This is the primary cause of what we know as 'cam-out."

http://rjrcooltools.com/jis.cfm

They are available at some remote control hobby shops or online.

(No affiliation or recommendation given to any business)

Last edited:
Oh yes, Euro/American or Japanese....an old bugaboo that still shows up.
I work in TV and if you try to fix anything on location (especially with Allen wrenches) you'd better be sure to have two sets with you.

Another inexplicable "why didn't they just agree on one size" moment...:scratch2:

C.

I find the Vessel brand phillips head screwdrivers fits the Japanese (and Korean) gear perfectly, while the Crescent and Stanley drivers do not.
Different story for wood-screws though, the Stanley and Crescent fit perfectly and the Vessel is OK, but better than the Stanley in the audio gear.

I find the Vessel brand phillips head screwdrivers fits the Japanese (and Korean) gear perfectly, while the Crescent and Stanley drivers do not.
Different story for wood-screws though, the Stanley and Crescent fit perfectly and the Vessel is OK, but better than the Stanley in the audio gear.

The Vessel brand are actually made to JIS standards and the Crescent and Stanley are not.

Having almost grawnched a couple of very stubborn screws on our TEAC A3300, I invested in a set of 4 JIS screwdrivers. They fit and grip perfectly and no more issues. They weren't cheap but worth every penny.

Poor fitting screwdrivers are an old peeve of mine. If they don't precisely firmly fit their screw heads, they are gone.

Back
Top Bottom