I keep hearing this... and I cannot agree

Are you sure???

If so, I'd better run and get that neglected super cheap little Sony CD/DVD Player DVP-SR200P that's been relegated to the Salamander rack with my HT stuff (a place I rarely go!). I only purchased it to play DVD's that I used to get from Netflix, remember those days?

So to be clear, are you guys saying this little crappy Sony player will sound better than the Sony ES CDP I had in the early '90's?

For what it's worth.....a couple of years ago a friend and I compared a late '80s Soundesign cd player, an early to mid '90s Sony ES cd player, a 2001 JVC cd changer (~$170), and a 2006 Denon dvd player (~$600). We used three different copies of the same cd and took turns operating things while the other guy listened blind.

We agreed that the Sony ES sounded best, that the JVC and Denon sounded about the same as each other, and that the Soundesign sounded worst. We also agreed that the difference from best to worst was minute.

I've yet to hear a newer DAC and/or CDP that can match a NEC CD-903 CDP.
Even the old Marantz CDA-94 DAC with it's twin TDA-1541 D/A converters still sounds awesome to this day.

Both modern and vintage, there are going to be hits and misses. A vintage dac that really did it for me was a Keces da-151mk2. Only set me back $200 back in the day and other than missing a bit of extension sounded wonderful, very sleek looking as well.

I would strongly urge to buy dac's used. Even the brand new Metrum Pavane I recently picked up for $1500 off and it just came out months ago, if that.

I've yet to hear a newer DAC and/or CDP that can match a NEC CD-903 CDP.
Even the old Marantz CDA-94 DAC with it's twin TDA-1541 D/A converters still sounds awesome to this day.

The NEC CD-903 is a masterpiece of ingenuity, it ought to, but ridiculously complex to fix should the time ever come. I have never heard one in person, but everyone I know who has one, says exactly what you just said about the 903.

The NEC CD-903 is a masterpiece of ingenuity, it ought to, but ridiculously complex to fix should the time ever come. I have never heard one in person, but everyone I know who has one, says exactly what you just said about the 903.

I have one and it is built like a tank (45 lbs?). It has copper shielding and the tray was formed from cast aluminum for crying out loud. Few were made as they were a technology demonstrator trotted out to audio shows.

Mine has never been repaired and it is still running strong. I have it in my second system (keeping usage to a minimum in order to preserve the laser life) and will likely keep as a statement piece.

Cheers,glad I'm not alone (although,knew there were a few that felt the same). I've compared it to newish McIntosh CDP/SACDP's etc and new DAC's costing big money... they just can't touch the NEC CD-903.
Quite amazing considering it's age. It's the depth,upfrontness,and slam that goes right through you everytime,just can't understand why they can't make 'em sound as good 29 years later... It's gotta be a cost thing!

Cheers,glad I'm not alone (although,knew there were a few that felt the same). I've compared it to newish McIntosh CDP/SACDP's etc and new DAC's costing big money... they just can't touch the NEC CD-903.
Quite amazing considering it's age. It's the depth,upfrontness,and slam that goes right through you everytime,just can't understand why they can't make 'em sound as good 29 years later... It's gotta be a cost thing!

D.70 with the CD-903...again.:thmbsp: That's a most elusive model...as elusive as a clear photo of Bigfoot.

The CD-903 is not THAT elusive (I've seen 10-15 in my 10 years of looking), but the difficulty comes in the serviceability as it becomes an anchor if/when anything goes wrong. I know some pretty respectable techs who won't touch it... So, to me, regardless of how great I am sure it sounds, it could not be put into service, because if it ever should fail, it's prowess could never be duplicated again.

I would, however, entertain the notion of finding another CD-730, CD-830DS, or a CD-816.. because they share much in common with more common Sony decks. Sonically the CD-810 should be the "closest" to the CD-903 as it uses a similar DAC compliment, with proper modding it could in theory approach it, but it's a similar situation regarding the CD-903 in serviceability, even though the CD-810 is somewhat more user-friendly to work on in comparison.

The CD-730/816/830DS uses the TDA1541A and would almost certainly not sound anything like either, just to clarify.

All of this said, I am confident that what I am using now has all of the attributes of the CD-903 described above with perhaps a little more refinement as I have had extensive mods done to a very competent CDP-DAC. It would be impossible to say which is better, but I'd wager that it would be a matter of personal preference over actual performance as I sincerely doubt anything on earth could sound exactly like a CD-903.

However, there is no way I could turn down the opportunity to own/audition a CD-903 in the right set of circumstances. :)

Last edited:
FYI, I have an unofficial "Scott-ranking", that ranks the CD-903 as the "best" stand-alone stock CD player ever built. I rank the Sony CDP-X7ESD as the second best. my ranking system is similar to the AP football poll, and with just one person's input being taken into account, may have even greater gaps in logic and empirical evidence :)

My unofficial ranking also puts a NEC integrated amp at the top of my "best" integrated amp list as well.

An NEC built MCS receiver is in my top-5 receivers of all time. A NEC branded receiver in my Top 10..

A NEC tuner in my top 10

So I might be a bit biased to NEC gear. :)

I used to keep lists very similar to football power rankings for gear... which have since proven fruitless for the direction I am taking, but maybe I can find them and/or re-create them if there is interest. The issue with making such lists, which started from my time with FMtunerinfo, is that some gear does some things better than others and it became very difficult, but when one has owned/tried and read about as much gear as I have, the cream rises to the top, always, in all pursuits, not the least of which is audio.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom