I know absolutely nothing.

Once you know how to replace the muffler bearing on your turntable you'll do fine. It's sort of a right of passage to audiophile techie nirvana ;).

BTW, that is sort of a trick question because Direct Drive turntables don't have a muffler bearing. :D

I'll keep that in mind :rflmao:

I'm sure I'll be appearing in the turntable forums soon as well, because like speakers my knowledge of turntables is limited to plugging it in, turning it on, and hitting play.

...and take your time learning all this stuff. It can be overwhelming on occasion, but rest assured we've all been there (well, maybe most of us! ;)).

What kind of a musician are you? maybe we can explain in terms of you instrument. I.E. tweeter, cymbals-high hat. mid-range, vocals. woofer, kick drum, brass. sub-woofer, rocket blast in movie.

What kind of a musician are you? maybe we can explain in terms of you instrument. I.E. tweeter, cymbals-high hat. mid-range, vocals. woofer, kick drum, brass. sub-woofer, rocket blast in movie.

Mostly a singer. I've played guitar for about 15 years, but I've never been a virtuoso. Just know enough to be able to translate the ideas in my head into a melody of some sort. But the comparisons you just listed definitely help simplify things for me!

...and take your time learning all this stuff. It can be overwhelming on occasion, but rest assured we've all been there (well, maybe most of us! ;)).

Thanks for that blog link! That's more information than I've found in all of my searches. I'm looking forward to increasing my technical knowledge. But it's true, there's no instant gratification when it comes to learning!

I'll keep that in mind :rflmao:

I'm sure I'll be appearing in the turntable forums soon as well, because like speakers my knowledge of turntables is limited to plugging it in, turning it on, and hitting play.
HAHAHAHA! Your turntable has a "play" button?!

Mine has a big button on the far right that sez "play vinyl sourced warm, analog musical juiciness".

I had to get an extra big button to fit all that in. :)

HAHAHAHA! Your turntable has a "play" button?!

Mine has a big button on the far right that sez "play vinyl sourced warm, analog musical juiciness".

I had to get an extra big button to fit all that in. :)

Ha! That sounds like a fancy button. Just out of curiosity I went to go look at the button, and it actually says start/stop instead of play. I suppose if it just said play and there was no stop button people might think it's impossible to stop the record.

Oh, he's got one of those FANCY turntables with a start/stop button. :bowdown: :rflmao:

Welcome to AK and I just wanted to add, you can ask whatever questions you have without fear...AND you can learn a lot just reading threads when you have time.

Are speaker brands like Bose and Sound Design similar to Beats headphones in that they're expensive because of the name, but not actually the high quality they claim to be?

Yes, Beats, bass heavy with weights in the ear cups to make them feel more substantial.

Sound design has never been considered "high quality". As to Bose, there are Bose lovers and Bose haters. However, I believe most will agree that just about all of the "Lifestyle" stuff has a premium price coupled with barely mediocre sound. I also believe many here consider the Wave radio to be an overpriced fairly decent sounding table radio.

Oh, he's got one of those FANCY turntables with a start/stop button. :bowdown: :rflmao:

Welcome to AK and I just wanted to add, you can ask whatever questions you have without fear...AND you can learn a lot just reading threads when you have time.

Only the finest buttons in life for me.

Thanks! I'll definitely peruse the turntable section for a while, but I was curious about these speakers specifically and couldn't find anything online anywhere.

Yes, Beats, bass heavy with weights in the ear cups to make them feel more substantial.

Sound design has never been considered "high quality". As to Bose, there are Bose lovers and Bose haters. However, I believe most will agree that just about all of the "Lifestyle" stuff has a premium price coupled with barely mediocre sound. I also believe many here consider the Wave radio to be an overpriced fairly decent sounding table radio.

I've owned random Bose products here or there, speakers, headphones. And they never seemed bad, but they didn't seem to match the price of the product.

Are speaker brands like Bose and Sound Design similar to Beats headphones in that they're expensive because of the name, but not actually the high quality they claim to be?

They are what they are and have a place in the market. They're for less serious listeners. They're mass-market systems. Look at Bose specs (if you can find them). To be called a true sub it should be able to have appreciable level below a minimum of 80Hz (normal sub xover point for many AV receivers). Their bass modules can't cut it. End of Bose bashing (not the point of this thread). If you are looking for quality, not quantity bass don't go cheap. Buy from a quality speaker/subwoofer company such as SVS, Rythmic, Velodyne, even used or vintage are better than no-name or mass-market subs. Also learn how to properly place and setup your sub.

Only the finest buttons in life for me.

Thanks! I'll definitely peruse the turntable section for a while, but I was curious about these speakers specifically and couldn't find anything online anywhere.

A lot of oddball speakers show up here that don't have a lot of info online. I was thinking along the lines of picking up general knowledge of speakers and how to identify a potential keeper, what to look for and listen for. I learned a ton of that kind of stuff around here.

They are what they are and have a place in the market. They're for less serious listeners. They're mass-market systems. Look at Bose specs (if you can find them). To be called a true sub it should be able to have appreciable level below a minimum of 80Hz (normal sub xover point for many AV receivers). Their bass modules can't cut it. End of Bose bashing (not the point of this thread). If you are looking for quality, not quantity bass don't go cheap. Buy from a quality speaker/subwoofer company such as SVS, Rythmic, Velodyne, even used or vintage are better than no-name or mass-market subs. Also learn how to properly place and setup your sub.

Thanks for all the info man, I appreciate it!

Back
Top Bottom