I know one thing, I will NOT be selling on FEEbay again

Ebay / paypal fees are damn close to 20% now. I could almost stomach the fees but the terrible rules which favor the buyer ruins the experience. Ebay / paypal was built by the hobby enthusiasts, pickers, and collectors. They need to remember who their core constituency is. They will never be Amazon.
I was taught,
You must use a different ebay and paypal than me. 9% for ebay, 2.9% + 30 cents for paypal. With the math I was taught, that's not damn close to 20%

Well, there was no sale in the first place. I thought I'd get charged only If the item sold. Otherwise I wouldn't have OK'd it. I would have told them to go pound salt and not created the listing.
Man Im sorry for you but all is not lost. You CAN find the phone number and they will give you a call back. Be nice. Poor stupid me did not understand and wish for a do-over. This is my first sale and I have a lot of stuff to sell so can you see your way to negate the charges?? Be Nice. They probably will at least negate some of it. be nice..

I was taught,
You must use a different ebay and paypal than me. 9% for ebay, 2.9% + 30 cents for paypal. With the math I was taught, that's not damn close to 20%

You were taught? Hmmm, experience is a better teacher. I just looked at my last invoice and compared it to my gross sales.

You were taught? Hmmm, experience is a better teacher. I just looked at my last invoice and compared it to my gross sales.
The "I was taught" is a keyboard error with this crappy notebook I use in the house. I'll give more accurate info when I get in my office tomorrow.

Well, there was no sale in the first place. I thought I'd get charged only If the item sold. Otherwise I wouldn't have OK'd it. I would have told them to go pound salt and not created the listing.

I bought and sold during the Meg Whitman era, which is widely acknowledged to be the golden era of ebay. The experience has gotten progressively worse since. The near 20% figure are the explicit costs. There is also the cost of returns which ebay almost always approves.

The "I was taught" is a keyboard error with this crappy notebook I use in the house. I'll give more accurate info when I get in my office tomorrow.

I average about $1,000 a month in sales and pay about $175 in fees. Paypal is another 4%. There is no need to prove anyone right or wrong. It is what it is.

Man Im sorry for you but all is not lost. You CAN find the phone number and they will give you a call back. Be nice. Poor stupid me did not understand and wish for a do-over. This is my first sale and I have a lot of stuff to sell so can you see your way to negate the charges?? Be Nice. They probably will at least negate some of it. be nice..
Man, I don't know if $46 is worth pretending to be nice and playing phone tag/being on hold indefinitely.:no: Since it was already automatically taken out of my Paypal, I'll probably just let it go as an expensive lesson.

I bought and sold during the Meg Whitman era, which is widely acknowledged to be the golden era of ebay. The experience has gotten progressively worse since. The near 20% figure are the explicit costs. There is also the cost of returns which ebay almost always approves.
I haven't sold anything on ebay for many years, so I was a little behind on how things were handled.

And I completely disagree with the buyer being able to back out of the deal for pretty much whatever BS reason they wish and then the seller having to eat the cost. I will not deal with that nonsense. Between that and the fees, I can see why so many people have decided to quit selling on there.

It must have been the reserve price thing.
It’s been forever since I did an auction with a reserve price.

I list hundreds of items a month.
10 accounts just for free listing amounts and insurance against Ebay retard that limit the account if crap buyers screw up an account.

Last I looked.
Ebay is 10%
PayPal is 0.30+3%
Listing fees extra once I go past monthly free limit.

I pretty much do only BIN and pad for fees and pad weight on shipping because they take the 10% off the total. Same for PayPal, off total.

People played games with $1 sales and high shipping to avoid fees. Slime ruined Ebay.

Buyer always right has made Ebay a pain once in a while. Some buyers are just impossible.

Since I pretty much only sell trash, it’s all profit and good. I can eat a bad sale once in a while.

The good stuff sells with little hassle.
I just set my price high.
It keeps the riff raff out.

Riff raff tend to be really cheap bastards.
The kind that bitch if you hang them with a new rope.

Agree the buyer protections are ridiculous. Just sold a lot of vintage transistors in auction, guy returned it coz "price was too high". I have to pay return shipping.

I don't get the cut they take from shipping costs, guess that helps pay the CEO's 17 million salary.

Agree the buyer protections are ridiculous. Just sold a lot of vintage transistors in auction, guy returned it coz "price was too high". I have to pay return shipping.

I don't get the cut they take from shipping costs, guess that helps pay the CEO's 17 million salary.
He didn't know the price before he bought them?:rolleyes: People are morons.

A re-seller bought one of my items and claimed he could not re-sell the item for a profit and opened a return. He posted blurry pictures of my item (my photos are crystal clear.) I am contesting this and expect to lose. Here is the kicker. While the case is open, my items lose visibility and my sales go to zero. I've trolled the ebay community forums and a lot of sellers report the same thing. So, 20% fees and this non-sense are beyond stupid. I give ebay/paypal about $200 a month and they treat me like this? If a viable competitor emerges, I will jump ship and never look back.

I believe that eBay motors is a special case where there's a fee just for listing.

I believe AutoTrader etc have the same deal.

Yes, it is what it is. From my July invoice:
View attachment 1252466

For first six months, 2017

Sales: 9085.15
Fees: 1182.69

That's 13.0%.

This does not factor in the cost of returns. (You pay return shipment fees and eat original shipment cost.)
This does not factor adjustments requests. Don't get them often but I would rather adjust than face a return that I will lose.
This does not include paypal.

My costs are at least 17%.

No, I am not a stockholder or a shill.

Last edited:
I average about $1,000 a month in sales and pay about $175 in fees. Paypal is another 4%. There is no need to prove anyone right or wrong. It is what it is.
You are forgetting something. The ultimate insult. You get to pay a percentage of the shipping as a fee, the buyer pays for the shipping.

You are forgetting something. The ultimate insult. You get to pay a percentage of the shipping as a fee, the buyer pays for the shipping.

When Meg was in charge, ebay was still a campy and dare I say a trendy site. It was exciting to buy and sell. (In fairness to today's ebay, buying is still fine because you are in control but selling is a mess.) The fees were not unreasonable, the feedback rules were evenly weighted, and ebay rarely if ever intervened. When Donahoe took over, his first statement was something along the "maximizing shareholder value" line. It has been downhill since.

A re-seller bought one of my items and claimed he could not re-sell the item for a profit and opened a return. He posted blurry pictures of my item (my photos are crystal clear.) I am contesting this and expect to lose. Here is the kicker. While the case is open, my items lose visibility and my sales go to zero. I've trolled the ebay community forums and a lot of sellers report the same thing. So, 20% fees and this non-sense are beyond stupid. I give ebay/paypal about $200 a month and they treat me like this? If a viable competitor emerges, I will jump ship and never look back.

Reminds me of a sale a few years ago. i got free at the state fair a promo car from the GM tent. I figured it would probably fetch $20-30 on ebay. This in early 2000.
I put it up for auction and it sits at it's original price of about $6.00. Some guy snagges it at the close and I sent it to him right? Few weeks later doing some feedback I look at his account and he had sold it for $80.00. grrrrr. Luck him..

Back
Top Bottom