I laughed at the thought of a Fisher receiver sounding better

DrStache

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
than my Pioneer SX-1250. Didn't think it was possible. Until of course I bought one(Fisher 400) and it arrived today. My lord, there's music and then there's musical. I feel as though I've wasted some serious cash before this purchase. That's all I wanted to say. It's making these Klipsch hit notes I didn't know were in songs. That is all.

Last edited:
Tubes are interesting devices. In pretty much every measurable way they are inferior to solid state gear, but there is just something about the sound.

You want some CROW as a side dish to the 1250????:D:D:biggrin:

Last edited:
LOL! That's only cause you have problems with ODD Numbers, Steve! (I'm in a weird mood tonight! No it wasn't the 'shrooms I had with the steak for dinner.) But I will agree that the X-202's are mighty fine amps.

I use restored McIntosh in my solid state system ( C29 Preamp and C2105 amp ). I've owned a lot of different solid state receivers, integrated amps, and separates over the last 45 years. The McIntosh produces the most tube like sound that I have heard coming from a solid state set up. But, there is still something that my Fisher 500C, X-100-C, and Harman Kardon A500 does to the music that is special. I still remember the first time I powered up my first tube component, the 500C. I could've belive how good the music sounded. Something special in those tubes.

Careful....

You might get addicted to rolling tubes and your friends will never ever talk to you again !

I've got one of the better tube units, an Ampex 5202 that beats out an HK.....with early JBLs. A person just has to have both a high end SS and Tube set up to appreciate sound.

Back
Top Bottom