I left a deposit on this old '65 yesterday, and I'm picking it up tomorrow.

Made it home safely:

16710043667_7320928ef2_b.jpg

Enjoy some hasty, poorly lit potato photos:

16916107052_d1cec25f18_b.jpg

16916370151_cfe5bdb65a_b.jpg

16729709538_3e56f1009a_b.jpg

16891457326_19bceb0a9b_b.jpg

16731189649_af74c1a375_b.jpg

16916108632_e27bf0387b_b.jpg

16891457806_e9511e01be_b.jpg

16710045427_0ae9258951_b.jpg

Safety!
16916106072_c11f22a96b_b.jpg

Made a big mistake. Showed the photos to my wife and she wants to know why I never bought her one of these and why she has not seen it in the Volvo dealership. Took a bit of time to make her believe this is a car from 1965 and not a 2015 new model. Did not help as she still wants one.

Made a big mistake. Showed the photos to my wife and she wants to know why I never bought her one of these and why she has not seen it in the Volvo dealership. Took a bit of time to make her believe this is a car from 1965 and not a 2015 new model. Did not help as she still wants one.

Find her a nice one on the left coast and you've got her next birthday gift sorted!

AMAZON! One of my all time favorite VOLVO body styles. When I was 14 my cousin bought a 1965 123GT in British Racing Green (which had the overdrive). I lusted after that car night and day.

I still have vivid memories of driving the car with my Dad riding "shotgun" when I got my learner's permit at 15.

Which reminds me - the car I learned to drive on was my parents' 1971 VOLVO 145 wagon with the manual tranny.

Much later in life I owned a 1994 VOLVO 850 sedan and a 1996 850 Turbo Sedan. Those driver's seats fit my back perfectly - very comfortable!

EDIT - May 2016 - I finally broke down and bought a 2001 V70 T5 wagon to haul stuff with. It's fun to be a VOLVO owner again!

Last edited:
I've been working on this thing to get it ready for spring.

So far I've gotten the following done:

- Rear bushings (IPD urethane)
- Engine and trans mounts (164 HD mounts)
- Front and rear shocks (KYB Gas-A-Justs)
- Plugs and oil change.
- New front swaybar links.
- Fuel filters
- New turn signal switch.
- New exhaust hangers
- New driveshaft support bushings, because my old ones were #REKT

I got the shocks in this morning and was finally ready to get the car back on the ground.

The destination for my shakedown run was very exciting:

25106837134_880bfac954_b.jpg

Apparently Wisconsinites love black SUVs. The car drives 100x better though.

The last items on my list are install the new hood and trunk seals I've got, plug the holes in the firewall where the AC lines used to go through, and get the front bushings and balljoints done.

I'm going to have the shop I got the car from change the front bushings and balljoints because I don't have a hydraulic press. That and I'm TIRED OF WORKING ON THIS THING for a while :laugh:

Last edited:
Congrats! Awesome shape!

Why not try AC as I think you will be sorry you removed it. After all it is a proper Dealer Accessory.

I tuned up a 72 240 2 dr in the early 80's using my Unisyn and it was easy. I even adjusted the mixture and the owner claimed 52 MPG (Imp.) or about 43 US MPG.
on the HWY as it had OD. I remember it being a very solid car and a pleasure to drive.

Last edited:
I did investigate the AC's potential. It would've been bad of me not to since HVAC is my trade.

The system was completely 100% flat, not a drop of refrigerant in it. I hit it with nitrogen and predator blood and it would take less time to list the components that didn't have leaks than the ones that did. So I decided that changing the drier and flushing the system out (because who knows what was in there at this point) wasn't going to be worth it if I had to fix 50 leaks too, so I just pulled it all and put it aside for someone else to deal with someday.

Tired of working on it? Send it north, I'll work on it...

lol! I just need a break.

Nice Amazon ! Those bad boys are about indestructible, too-Just give 'em a little TLC, & they'll run forever !

Too bad on AC, but I do believe that old compressor is much longer lasting then new ones and rebuild able. Likely evaporator could be leaky also though it depends if it's copper aluminum and the condenser would likely be in the same situation.

The ignition points could be run as a trigger for an aftermarket captive discharge type amplifier such as an MSD making the points last for ever (just have to lube the rubbing block) if a Pertonix unit can't be found or isn't wanted. I had a 1970 Mercedes 250 with that type of ignition and never had to replace the points with the spare set I bought.

Glad to hear you're almost there. That beauty will definitely stand out on the road among all those SUVs.
They really are fantastic cars. Good luck with your 122.
Another classic Volvo fan here. This is my daily driver -

DSC_0416.JPG

Thanks! A lot less room than your Amazon though. Keep us posted on progress. We need some more photos when it gets out and about.

I thought this car's alignment was off. Nope, the bushings up front were just completely shot, lol. Now the steering wheel is nice and straight as I drive along.

Gave it a bath today, to wash all the storage grunge off. I think I may have it professionally detailed at some point, the paint could use a polish.

First Cars and Coffee of the year is this weekend. I may actually put it in the show area for a change, instead of just parking outside like I usually do. I'll make sure to post some pics from the event :)

Back
Top Bottom