I love METERS

mlhrocks

Ok so a little question? On my KA-8300 it has power-meters. What would it take to hook-up VU meters to a amp that dosnt have any........maybe mount hem in a small box? How would you hook them to the amp, speakers? I can replace bad parts, but dont know how to design circuts.......lol..........Thanks, if anyone can help.:D

Just what I needed, just need to put them in a nice alum. case instead of....:puke:plastic maybe Black Anodized Alum., or just silver.........polished:D............want to hook them to my other amps, thats why I want to make them.........besides the fun of making them:)

Last edited:
These units actually connect from the speaker outs on the amps.

I agree the black doesnt look too cool - unless you have a black sansui :D

I think it would be really cool to mod one of those to make it look better.

If you get one and mod it - please post the project :)

Chris

If you dont like the Black one ...there are someof these on the bay from time to time ...

Thought you might like this one better.....

I'm not partin' with mine though...

If ya still one of the Rat shack meters avail let me know.

Grumpy

EW is it possible to build a bouncy light machine (spectrum analyzer) say using an old receiver case but unlike EQ's having it take up the entire face of the unit?

Yes.

$$$

Be a hellova project. Really. Just to get an idea, here's a measily three-band/15 led analyzer. Now imagine the complexity of, say, a 10-band analyzer with 10 led's per channel.

Last edited:
You couldn't just use the guts to an EQ? Use it's power supply and spectrum analyzer, just make a custom faceplate and wire it with more and bigger LED's?

Originally posted by THOR
You couldn't just use the guts to an EQ? Use it's power supply and spectrum analyzer, just make a custom faceplate and wire it with more and bigger LED's?
Not sure what you mean. If you have an EQ with a spectrum analyzer built in, why gut it? (guess what I'm getting at is that an EQ isn't a Spectrum Analyzer, although some had them built in)

I buy EQ's cuz I like the spectrum analyzer effect when music is playing, bouncy lights, what I want is a bigger spectrum analyzer, like as big as the whole face of a vintage receiver. So can you just wire bigger LED's to the spectrum analyzer from an EQ?

I.......I dunno. Maybe, but lots of LED's draw lots and lots of current. Plus...trying to mount a bunch of LED's cound be a serious PITA. 10 bands on most analyzers, 10 levels, x2 channels = 200 LEDs. If each one was pulling 15mA in bar mode, then fully lit it would be 3A(!) Not to mention the mounting and wiring of 400 wires (two for each LED).

Not your Sunday afternoon project...

Back
Top Bottom