I Love My New MS300!

PHC1 said:
Not sure if it's the MS300 or the MDA working its upsampling magic on the digital stream? :scratch2: Like I've said, I've never heard such low bit rate music sound so damn good.
Yes, I should have said the MS300 and MDA1000 make streaming radio sound great. :yes:

Victor

Vic, what's next on your upgrade agenda? Any short/long term plans on taking your system further?

PHC1 said:
Vic, what's next on your upgrade agenda? Any short/long term plans on taking your system further?
There is not a lot left, here is the upgrade list:

I'm still using my MC162 to power the bass cabinets, I will for sure get 2 more MC501s to take over for the MC162. This will take some time to save up for.

I'm still using AR Proseries II speaker wire for the bass cabinets, I would like to match the speaker columns wire which is MIT Oracle 2.1. This will also take some time to save up for.

Once I get the next 2 MC501s I will need a XLR splitter for the MDA1000 output, now I'm using both the RCA and XLR outputs.

Once I get the next 2 MC501s I will be using 3 sets of XLR cables. I'm happy with the Guerrilla XLR cables right now but I may try some other cables out (most likely more MIT).

A better rack for the equipment would be nice.

I was thinking of putting up some more room treatments, some ASC PicturePanels would be nice.

I have 3 Shunyata Python power cables, I would like to use these cables on all the equipment (this is a small priority).

The MQ109 equalizer that I'm using on the bass cabinets is great but it is not internally balanced. This is no problem now because the MC162 is not balanced. Once I get the next 2 MC501s I may look for an equalizer that is internally balanced (this is a small priority).

Actually the next 2 upgrades I will do are:

Get a new TV. My TV has a high pitched transformer noise that drives me crazy. I often have the TV on while listening to music (either for the MS300 or sports or shows). My top priority in a new TV is it must be quiet. I'm thinking the 37" LCD from Samsong.

Get some long cables (coax digital, video) and a remote extender so I can put the MS300 around the corner in my bedroom.

Then once I get a high def TV I'll want to get a MVP871 to take advantage of it.

WOW you really opened up a can of worms there. It just never seems to end. :sigh: Did I miss anything?

Other than getting the MS300 into the bedroom and maybe the TV, I don't plan on doing any of these upgrades until at least next year.

Victor

Sound plan Vic! I like your future 501 plan for the bass cabs, maybe a pre-owned 602 would not be a bad idea either but I can see how an additional pair of 501s would be cool. :thmbsp: The flat panel and the 871 is also very cool. :yes: More treatments would be a worthwhile investment. :music: Good luck with your plans and may they come to fruition sooner rather than later. :thmbsp: P.S. Don't get too used to the MC162, I will need another amp with blue meters pretty soon. ;)

I am happy with my system now, actually I have been for a long time. :yes:
I still would like to get a decent turntable and give the vinyl thing another shot before it completely dissolves into oblivion we call future. If I get a turntable, a decent phono stage would be a must. The C1000 idea keeps tugging at me and my wallet. Either a sub or a complete upgrade of speakers also keeps nagging me, not that I don't love my SF but you know how that goes. I was thinking about a pair of SF Elipsa's but if that doesn't work out, I have a few in mind to audition. Nothing too big but maybe a pair of Wilson Sophia II's, Aerial 7B's and Revel Studio II's.

DO NOT BUY A SAMSUNG TV!!!! I bought a 64" DLP in November. It broke for the second time in mid-February. They could not fix it and promised me a replacement. They still have not sent me my new TV and they give me the run around EVERY time I call. Their customer service SUCKS!!! I have called them at least a half dozen times and every time I call they give me a different story. This experience has been absolutely horrible. I will never buy another Samsung TV and I STRONGLY recommend against any of my AK friends buying anything from Samsung.

Look at Sony and Panasonic. Pioneer Elite is probably the best. Prices just keep dropping, there are plenty of good deals out there. Did I mention to stay away from Samsung?

Help!!!! My wife has completely hi-jacked my MS300 with her radio station listening. I can't even come near it, she threatens to sick our dog on me. He's my dog too but he listens to her better... Darn internet stations... Maybe I should just pull the plug on the wireless router upstairs???

PHC1 said:
Sound plan Vic! I like your future 501 plan for the bass cabs, maybe a pre-owned 602 would not be a bad idea either but I can see how an additional pair of 501s would be cool. :thmbsp:

I am happy with my system now, actually I have been for a long time. :yes:
The MC602 would do the trick, but I have never seen a used MC602 in my area. The local dealer did have 2 used MC402s a short while back and I gave some serious thought to getting the MC402 for the bass cabinets. At that time I had no spending money, so I had to pass. I have to admit, I would really like to see 4 MC501s in my rack.

I'm also happy with my system. It would be fun to see if it gets better though. :)

Victor

jrsystems said:
DO NOT BUY A SAMSUNG TV!!!! I bought a 64" DLP in November. It broke for the second time in mid-February. They could not fix it and promised me a replacement. They still have not sent me my new TV and they give me the run around EVERY time I call. Their customer service SUCKS!!! I have called them at least a half dozen times and every time I call they give me a different story. This experience has been absolutely horrible. I will never buy another Samsung TV and I STRONGLY recommend against any of my AK friends buying anything from Samsung.

Look at Sony and Panasonic. Pioneer Elite is probably the best. Prices just keep dropping, there are plenty of good deals out there. Did I mention to stay away from Samsung?
Thanks, I'll keep this in mind when I go TV shopping.

Sorry to hear of your troubles though. :tears:

Victor

Thanks. I'll survive, it's the bedroom TV. It's really annoying though. I got very agitated every time I call there. They really stink. I am now in the "tell everyone" phase, which is not my normal style. It has been THAT BAD! Oh well.

PHC1 said:
Help!!!! My wife has completely hi-jacked my MS300 with her radio station listening. I can't even come near it, she threatens to sick our dog on me. He's my dog too but he listens to her better... Darn internet stations... Maybe I should just pull the plug on the wireless router upstairs???

Get her a Sonos with Rhapsody. She'll love it and leave you and your MS300 alone! :yes:

jrsystems said:
Thanks. I'll survive, it's the bedroom TV. It's really annoying though. I got very agitated every time I call there. They really stink. I am now in the "tell everyone" phase, which is not my normal style. It has been THAT BAD! Oh well.

Feeling Down, unlucky & not loved?

There is always hope...

Attachments

• paddle.JPG
    paddle.JPG
    22.8 KB · Views: 24
Victor said:
Once I get the next 2 MC501s I will need a XLR splitter for the MDA1000 output, now I'm using both the RCA and XLR outputs.
Victor

Hi Vic,

Whats a XLR splitter? What brands are there and is this costly?

And what do U mean "now using both the RCA & XLR outputs"? Am I correct to say U are using BOTH the MDA outputs to drive 2 sets of amps - either bi-amping or bi-wiring?

If so, does that mean I can also use the same to drive the MC1201's and MC2000 at the same time?

And the XLR splitter is to use one set of the XLR of the MDA to becoming TWO XLR outputs able to drive 2 sets of power amps. Woild there be any loss in output voltage?

Jerry Seh said:
Hi Vic,

And what do U mean "now using both the RCA & XLR outputs"? Am I correct to say U are using BOTH the MDA outputs to drive 2 sets of amps - either bi-amping or bi-wiring?

If so, does that mean I can also use the same to drive the MC1201's and MC2000 at the same time?

And the XLR splitter is to use one set of the XLR of the MDA to becoming TWO XLR outputs able to drive 2 sets of power amps. Woild there be any loss in output voltage?

Sorry, Vic, in my haste and excitment, forgot to end with a well-wish. Looking forward to some advise, from U or others. This would give my MC2000 a nice workout if I am able to get my hands on a pair of XRT30's.

Best Regards,

Jerry Seh said:
Hi Vic,

XLR splitters are just that, like a "Y" they will create two XLR outs where there was only one. Cost depends on who makes it. Mine are custom made Wireworld & very costly. There is no loss in output voltage regardless of brand.

Hope this helps! BTW, you can also have three way splitters made (I use them too) Wireworld loves me... :smlove:

Victor, I just saw a MC-602 on audiogon in Ann Arbor, MI. Do you still have your C-1000-T? I did not see it in your recent pictures or did you trade it in for other Mc gear?

Ampzilla said:
Victor, I just saw a MC-602 on audiogon in Ann Arbor, MI. Do you still have your C-1000-T? I did not see it in your recent pictures or did you trade it in for other Mc gear?
Thanks for the tip but I won't be ready for an amp upgrade until at least next year, unless I find a deal that is too good to pass up. That MC602 is not too good to pass up.

The C1000T is gone, it was part of a complex trade that took about 3 months to complete. The trade was so compex I'm not sure if I rember all of it but here is a run down of the trade:

I traded: $5000, C1000T, LS340's, MR85, MIT Oracle 2.1 RCA interconnect, and I did a setup for no charge.

I received: XRT30 system (demo), MQ109B (new), MS300 (new), and 50 MFSL gold CD's.

I can't believe how much my system has changed over the last 2 years. It has been quite a learning process, I think I have settled into the perfect system for me. Hopefully the major changes are done and I just have some fine tuning left.

Victor

Victor, I thought you said you traded, but I was not sure. I have been saving your system pics that you have posted. All impressive systems. I am eyeing the C-1000-T because my dream system I think would be that tube pre with an MC-2000. The digital route I am sure is also a good one. I will be happy for now with my MC-162 and C-42. I am using a Yamaha CD burner with a hard drive in it, and it is as close as I can get to an MS-300 for now.

Jerry Seh said:
Hi Vic,

Yes I'm using both the XLR and RCA outputs on the MDA1000 for bi-amping. The MDA1000 XLR output is going to my MC501's which are powering the mid/high speaker coulmns. The MDA1000 RCA output is going to the MQ109B equalizer then the MQ109B RCA output is going to my MC162 which is powering the bass cabinets. This is working well for now but when I get the next 2 MC501's I will want to use all XLR cables, so I will need a splitter to put on the MDA1000 XLR output to give me 2 XLR outputs. And as Ivan said the splitter will not recuce the voltage for each branch of the circuit (it is a parallel circuit so each branch gets full voltage).

Now as far as you doing this to drive your MC1201's and MC2000 at the same time, it should work with the exception of not wanting to bi-amp with tube amps without an external crossover. I don't fully understand why an external crossover is needed to bi-amp tubes. If you wanted to power XRT30's this way I don't think you would need an external crossover because I'm assuming you would use the MC2000 to power the mid/high columns. The mid/high coulmns are almost full range speakers (80hz to 20khz) so this should not cause a problem for the MC2000. I would love to hear how the XRT30's sound with the MC2000 driving the columns and MC1201's powering the bass cabinets, if you ever get to do this make sure and tell me how you like it.

Victor

Hello,

I will have an MS300 on the way next week and had a few questions.

1) Should I be using the digital coax output on the MS300 into my MX119 OR is using the analog outputs on the MS300 into my C2200 the way to go? Advantages?

2) For my internet connection used for internet radio does the MS300 do the work for that or does a PC have to be involved in the chain of things?

3) When considering a router, is a wireless or hardwired one the way to go? Which company and model has worked the best with the MS300?

Thanks to all.

canucks0 said:
Hello,

I will have an MS300 on the way next week and had a few questions.

1) Should I be using the digital coax output on the MS300 into my MX119 OR is using the analog outputs on the MS300 into my C2200 the way to go? Advantages?

2) For my internet connection used for internet radio does the MS300 do the work for that or does a PC have to be involved in the chain of things?

3) When considering a router, is a wireless or hardwired one the way to go? Which company and model has worked the best with the MS300?

Thanks to all.
First of all you will love your MS300, congrats. :)

1) I don't know, you will have to try them both and see what sounds best. My guess is the analog output to the C2200 will sound better, but this is just a guess.

2) No PC is needed, the MS300 does all the work. The internet connection is also used to get info from Gracenote for the CDs. Once the MS300 gets info for a CD it stays in memory, even if you don't record the CD to the hard drive.

3) Wireless will work but my thought is, if it is possible hardwired is usually better. I'm using a "2Wire 2700HG-B" which has wireless for my laptop and my MS300 is hardwired to the 2Wire router.

Enjoy your new MS300. :thmbsp:

Victor

Back
Top Bottom