I made my $75 HPM-100's look better :)

Nice. Looking good.
They actually sound better than they look. That's just my opinion--and I think they look good, too.
:thmbsp:

Beautiful speakers!! I am thinking of getting a pair for my SX-1980. My current B&Ws, I fear, will be turned to smoke by the mighty beast.

Nice!!

I'm glad you didn't paint them black like you where thinking about doing. That wood looks great.

thx but you know black might look even better! hmmm maybe if I find a rough set cheap I will paint it black

They do look really good. It's nice to have a real wood surface to work with. Did you sand them down first and what exactly did you coat them with? Sounds like a good weekend project for me. :D

I cleaned them down with lacquer thinner,then touched up the damaged spots in the wood with stain (don't bother the small scratches) then I sprayed them with some monarch lacquer sanding sealer,using a cup gun aka conventional. After a short drying time I sanded using an slightly worn 80 grit sand pad,but don't use 80 grit! I use 80 because I am used to it so try a pad but a less corse one,blow them off with an aircompressor then it's gloss time baby!!! again I used monarch. The sealer and gloss will need thinning but how much depends on the way you spray,airpressure and gun. Most DIY would do a light sanding then a coat of poly another light sanding then a final coat of poly. Poly does look good and is easy but looks a bit like plastic

Last edited:
I've had mine up and running daily -- along side a pair of Celestion Ditton 25's -- the HPM 100's still sound so much better ...

Hi Donny, Good Job!

I lightened up your pic a little, Your gonna want to hook those badboys up to a BIG amp. Don't need to, but you'll want to! :D

Back
Top Bottom