I might be done.....

Discussion in 'Members' Systems' started by StuartB, Apr 17, 2017.

1. StuartB

StuartB AK Subscriber Subscriber

I have, for a long time, been chasing an elusive sound. Warm, but detailed. Rich, but not flabby. Clear, but not harsh. My room is probably my biggest challenge. I tried Sonic Frontiers, Conrad-Johnson, Classe, Sony ES, MSB, Cambridge Audio, Hagerman, OPPO, Rotel and McCormack electronics. I also tried Vandersteen, North Creek Audio, Energy, M&K and Paradigm speakers. I would often times resort to reviews, reputation and online recommendations to try equipment. Every-time I would be underwhelmed with what I heard. My listening room is unforgiving at 19X19X9 it is just really hard to get things right.

I finally decided to sell everything and started from scratch. I decided to focus on fine but understated British gear (based on early experience with Monitor Audio speakers) regardless of review and hype.

The only thing I kept was my Marc Morin modified AR-XB since I did a lot of the work myself and I was emotionally attached to it.

The AR has a Grado 8MZ cart, and it has about every reasonable modification that Marc offers. (It helps to be 20 minutes from his home,)

The turntable feeds a Lehmann Black Cube SE phono stage.

I use an Exposure 3010 S2 cd player.

These feed an Exposure 3010 S2D integrated amp.

The amp drives a pair of Harbeth C7 ES3 speakers and a JL Audio D110 subwoofer.

I can't tell you how good this system sounds. It does everything I want it to. The sub blends extremely well with the speakers. The Exposure gear is articulate but not edgy or harsh.

I bought just about everything used so I have spent 50 cents on the dollar, and just could not be more pleased. I will add pictures shortly. Never before have I been so content with the sound of my system. It is coherent, dynamic and non-fatiguing. I just may be done with the quest.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
    DC, avionic, guiller and 3 others like this.
  2. Drugolf

Drugolf AK Subscriber Subscriber

Okay, you can now officially leave this site. You have been saved and are now free to go out among other unaflicted humans.
    Hopefully some of us will be able to join you some day.

jdsalinger, SD Modiano and Ds2000 like this.
  3. StuartB

Well, I didn't say I wasn't still afflicted.......but I am thrilled with the sound.

For me the final missing link was the sub. It added that solid bottom octave that the 2-way speakers could not do. It is subtle but then not subtle. I don't consider myself a bass freak by any stretch, but the JL Audio sub complements the strengths of everything else, especially the Harbeth speakers.

4. StuartB

Here are a couple of pictures. Excuse the mess.

Attached Files:

5. Drumolator

Drumolator Super Member

That is one excellent system. Enjoy. Peace and goodwill.

6. marcmorin

marcmorin AK Subscriber Subscriber

ah.........I see the TT wasn't the "weak link"..................;)

stop by sometime just for an album or two......shoot the shi.......

7. louisjames

louisjames The "real" Louis James Subscriber

And I might add - - that's one hell of a sweet desk! The gear ain't bad either. ;-J

8. avionic

avionic " Black Knights" Subscriber

Your never done....:biggrin:

jdsalinger likes this.
  9. Nightwisher

Nightwisher Farer In The Goldilocks Zone Subscriber

10. mark warren

mark warren Always Learning! Subscriber

I hope you enjoy for years to come! :smoke:

11. Rome

Rome Holsum Honey Buns Subscriber

Mighty fine!

Rome

12. avanti1960

avanti1960 Well-Known Member

congrats and i know just what your sound quality journey was like- i ended up with the same speakers and subwoofer combo!
    the c7es3s have been breaking in for about 8 months, thr jl audio d110 fir over a year. everyone loves the harbeths but the jl d110 is the best kept secret in 2 channel audio because it has the flat musical frequency response and control functions to blend perfectly with main speakers. i have spent lots of time listening to the harbeth monitor 40.2s and a properly tuned c7es / jl d110 setup actually sounds better to me, that's how good the combo is and why we both just might be finished. peace!

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/pics-of-your-listening-space.130581/page-830