I need a beer.

I've always wanted a Linn TT. Any suggestions?

I found the Linn Basik to be a very nice entry level table that sounds way nicer then it should. Guess it depends on your budget.

Sorry...my mind was somewhere else when I stumbled in.

I've been slowly upgrading my vintage stuff. I love the TTs I have now but the Linn is one of the more nicer new TTs that are reasonably priced. I don't know awhole lot about the brand and some of the guys really seem to like them.

So any other info about them would be great.

Cheers and I'll have that beer now.
Carl

:D

I want a beer and a Linn too! Heck, that 838 is pretty nice looking s well.

I actually was looking into a Basik but car repairs have ended any new possibilities. Maybe in a few months.

So does anyone have anymore info on the Linn TTs? Prefered carts, tonearms, etc?

...and the link I posted above didn't do it? Granted it's the new "stuff", but others will certainly know about the "vintage" equipment.

The Akito arm used to be a bargain on the used market. Had one on my basik with a Linn K9 Cart. That combo sounded shockingly good to me.

...and the link I posted above didn't do it? Granted it's the new "stuff", but others will certainly know about the "vintage" equipment.

The site has way to much cool stuff. I was looking to hear more about hands on experience and what other members thought.

Thanks,
Carl

ditto the axis, I had the pleasure to demo a full Linn system when the axis was new and it was fantastic, very quiet, excellent reproduction. Sorry, don't remember the cart being used. I was too busy staring at the other components, and right next to it was a Mission Cyrus setup that was also very distracting.

There was an axis on the 'Bay not too long ago. I've seen two this year.

Wow, instant forum, this was the only thread a while a go. Good goin' to the powers that be.

An Axis with something like a Black Widow arm and a V15 struck me as being a lot of turntable that could be had at a nice price.

The English guy at work swears by the Linn Sondek as the nicest reasonable priced table. The next step up is Pink Triangle tables in his opinion.

Lp12

I'll preface this note by saying I rarely post but I have very extensive Linn experience having sold about as many as most.

At this stage in its product life I would recommend buying a LP12 not any of the lower priced variants. The best price performer in the arm category would be a basik arm which gives up a lot of performance relative to an ITTOK but is dirt cheap. There are bunches of ITTOK's on the market but one needs to be wary of bearing condition...The cartridge should be matched to the speakers...

I have actually AB'ed extensively an LP12 Grace707 LP12 Black widow LP12 ITTOK and the black widow will tend to have a more diffuse "open" sound while losing a bit of drive and pace compared to the other tonearms.

P.S. I have no affiliation with Linn nor would I buy anything from them directly unless is was absolutely necessary...

Good luck...One of the experts in Linn TT's can be found at Accent on Music in Mt. Kisco NY... I have no affiliation with this person either...

Re: I need a beer

So does anyone have anymore info on the Linn TTs? Prefered carts, tonearms, etc?

I need a beer too!!!

The Linn LP12 was designed originally for the Grace tonearm (no longer in production) and currently the preferred tonearms are Linn (Ekos SE, Ekos II, Ekos I, Ittok(s), Akito, Basik Plus, Basik LVX and Basik LVV).

Another recommended tonearm is the Naim ARO, and by induction the Roksan Nima (Naim anagram) which is basically a plexiglassed Naim ARO.

Some people have mentioned the Graham tonearms as a good match but never heard one.

A few years ago the Zeta tonearm was a VERY close contender to the Ittok, I even installed one on a customer's LP12 more than 20 years ago but I did never listened to the setup since it was installed at the store's workshop.

Regarding cartridges, again the preferred ones are Linn moving coils (Akiva, Arkive-A, Arkive-B, Klyde,Troika, Karma, Asaka, Asak,Trak), but have read great comments about Lyra, Dynavector, Audio-Technica, Ortofon and others.

Yes, I did use to work for a Linn dealer more than 20 years ago and have even visited their factory in Glasgow, Scotland (pics at http://home.coqui.net/vicdiaz/hifi.htm)

Back
Top Bottom