I need a fan

"If that fails, I'll tackle it (hope I know what I'm getting into). "

The 'heat pipes' I recall reading about years ago used some kind of refregerent medium (vapor/liquid?) inside the pipe to move the heat from the source to the heat fins. If that medium has leaked out I'm not sure how one would go about repairing/recharging it.

Hopeful they may still have replacement assemblies, but afforable also?

I wonder why most of the wierd stuff happens to Thor? :p:

Lefty

Manual? Don't got one. Alas perhaps as Lefty said we should see if it is even possible to replace the stuff in the pipes. I still like the thought of someone I trust going over my stuff and making sure it is up to snuff ;)

Don't you have several of these amps? Get a manual!

Been a long time since my thermodynamics class. Had to refresh my memory on how heat pipes work. Basically the liquid (ammonia, methanol, R12 - R134a, sometimes water) goes through a vapor change to remove heat. Makes me wonder if what the Lux has if actually a heatpipe, or simply a liquid filled pipe removing heat by conduction. And if it is liquid filled, what is the liquid? (Btw, if it was filled with glycol, then no way is it a heatpipe...glycol doesn't boil very easy). If it is R12 - R134a, then it is indeed under pressure. And if so, there must be a way to fill it (schrader valve or some such). If it is simply filled with glycol, then it is probably completely filled to aid heat removal by conduction. If it is an 'honest-to-God' heatpipe, then it is not filled all the way, as there must be room for thermal expansion through the vapor change process.

If I had to bet, I'd say these are not actually heatpipes, and are filled with some liquid (such as glycol) at atmospheric pressure and heat is removed by conduction and convection. I could be wrong... :p:

Step 1: Get the manual. If you plan on keeping these amps for a while, it is a necessary investment.

Back
Top Bottom