I need a good used truck...should I buy this instead?

:eek:

Those are stupid expensive!!!

How "superior" are those to other output tubes? My gusss it's more about the brand name more than actual sonic benefit.

Chris

Rob, just because those old WE are so expensive is not a good reason not to use 300Bs. Even the lowest priced Chinese 300Bs are not bad tubes. Heck, that is what designing is about isn't it? If you are a little bass shy one tends to stick a larger electrolitic in parrallell with the resister (good carbon) and a poly on the cathode to ground of the driver. Right? Or that is one way to go about boosting some extra bass out of an amp. The quality and build of the power supply ought to have as much or more influence on how an amp sounds than the quality of the output tube.
Or in your case the lower priced 300Bs ought to make great drivers for your transmitting triodes like the 805. How about a VT-231 6SN7/ 300B/ 805 amp? Sounds tasty!

Thatch,

Part of the problem for me is that whenever I prototype something at the experimental level, economics dictate I generally do it with salvaged parts otherwise I couldn't afford to do it at all. I tear apart really expensive commercial electronics equipment obtained surplus for pennies on the dollar for parts and get really fine components inexpensively this way. Alas I have no 300B's in stock. The cheapest Chinese ones are still more expensive than I would want to pay for experimental components. I'm certain that there are other tubes around that can sound as good and without the power shortcomings of the trendy DHT's without the rediculous hi prices. I will explore those first. The 805 is certainly a good one, and I have those in stock. Whenever successful I'll also be doing a favor to anyone who purchases one of my amplifiers.

Are you aware that you can buy a dozen brand new 833A's (as in the big Wavac SE amp) for what that WE 300B is being offered for? Strue.

Rob

Back
Top Bottom