I need a Jazz primer.

Discussion in 'Music Forums' started by Nixxuz, May 11, 2018.

1. Montycat

Montycat AK Subscriber Subscriber

^^ I wouldn't have thought of suggesting King Crimson but they could certainly bridge the jazz/rock thing. Also, maybe Soft Machine, Focus, Deodato and the others of that era.

More modern entries include the already mentioned Medeski Martin & Wood, Gov't Mule, Kamsai Washington and Danny McCaslin (backing band for Bowie's Black Star).

Jack Keck and BLAH BLAH like this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. thilaseen

thilaseen Super Member

I'm currently listening to The Pentangle's "Sweet Child". Not bad at all. A bit of folk/jazz you may like.

3. jgannon

jgannon AK Subscriber Subscriber

Hi and kudos to you for being willing to venture into checking out some different music. I would say, if there was anything you liked about "Kind of Blue", give it some more time. Sometimes it takes listening to something for a while before you begin to more fully get with what what's going on. There is actually plenty of "kick" in that famous recording just as it is, and after a while you might dig that. The process is kind of like getting off salt. At first you miss the taste that salt gives food, but after a while, you begin to enjoy the natural taste of food without the salt. Also, I'm not sure what "clarinet spasms" you are referring to, but if you are referring to any of the extended improvisations on KOB, I think what you'll realize eventually, is that you're being led in depth, into some amazing music. Give things time and the "ether" will be where you will eventually swim!

At the same time, there is nothing wrong with going with some more of the fusion-oriented things, or jazz that has a "funk or soul" influence. It may truly be what you like better. You can also like all of it. But the point I'm making, is that a lot of people who haven't listened to much jazz, might need some time to acclimate. Stay with it! :thumbsup:

Also, as mentioned above, the Jazz Playlist, is a great place to visit to find things to listen to.

4. charles64

charles64 reVox reGret

I don't wander into Fusion or Free Jazz too often but I would also say in addition to some of the other suggestions above,you might try Ornette Coleman.-"The Shape of Jazz to Come" was one of the first steps toward the Avant-Garde. Gabor Szabo's "Jazz Raga" is a personal favorite of my old lady,who was a (Tie) dyed in the wool Deadhead.
    Ornette Coleman Shape of Jazz.jpg Gabor Szabo Jazz Raga Stereo.jpg

BLAH BLAH and lbls1 like this.
  5. Nixxuz

Nixxuz AK Subscriber Subscriber

Snagged a copy of KOB, Bitches Brew, and Mysterious Traveller.

6. Flippo63

Flippo63 Active Member

I would recommend Pat Metheny Group.

BLAH BLAH likes this.

7. tubed

tubed Lunatic Member

BLAH BLAH likes this.
  8. tubed

tubed Lunatic Member

9. tubed

tubed Lunatic Member

BLAH BLAH likes this.
  10. tubed

tubed Lunatic Member

11. tubed

tubed Lunatic Member

Last edited: May 13, 2018
    BLAH BLAH likes this.

12. tubed

tubed Lunatic Member

BLAH BLAH likes this.
  13. Champco

Champco Super Member

Maynard!

BLAH BLAH likes this.
  14. tomcatmixd

tomcatmixd Musically reclined Subscriber

So true! I've been listening to jazz for 30 years, and I'm always learning new (and old) things on the AK Jazz Playlist. That said, I can't say I agree with too many of the "jazz recommendations" you've received in your thread, @Nixxuz.

My suggestion? Ken Burns. The filmmaker's 10-episode PBS series, "Jazz," provides an essential historical overview of jazz, its "sub-genres," and the people who made it great. Without that historical perspective, I really think it's difficult to appreciate the music for what it is. After all, jazz is a cumulative art form. When you start with Miles Davis' electric period (or Herbie Hancock's) you miss all that came before it. Not that you might not ultimately end-up there—it's just that, when you do, you'll know why.

I envy the journey you're about to take, @Nixxuz. May you enjoy it as much as the rest of us!

15. BobbyBluz

BobbyBluz Well-Known Member

Personally I prefer Bop from the 50's & 60's. Art Blakey & the Jazz Messengers were the college of Jazz. Sonny Stitt was the cousin of my Jazz mentor. For guitar Tal Farlow, Howard Roberts and Johnny Smith ring my bell. Loads of Bop on YouTube.

16. Champco

Champco Super Member

Yea But
    Take a perfectionist with perfect sound pitch who takes songs and produces Jazz from them. Wes Montgomery's Road Songs comes to mind. BB King loved Wes's playing.

BLAH BLAH likes this.

17. crazy-in-az

crazy-in-az All humans are vermin... Subscriber

For great jazz-funk I like Grover Washington Jr., specifically "Soul Box" and "Inner City Blues".

Many have already mentioned Weather Report, so I'd like to add Dixie Dregs to the fusion pile, along with Santana. Much of their music was latin/jazz/rock fusion.

18. TPettenati

TPettenati Active Member

Last edited: May 15, 2018
    olson_jr and BLAH BLAH like this.
  19. jgannon

jgannon AK Subscriber Subscriber

Introducing somebody to Miles Davis via "Bitches Brew" is kind of like introducing someone to The Beatles with "Revolution No. 9"...

Montycat, olson_jr, BirdLives and 5 others like this.
  20. KeninDC

KeninDC Speedfreak Jive Subscriber

My first jazz album was Bitches Brew. I was told by a friend that "coming from a rock & roll background, you'll get it." It worked for me. Soon after, I got Coltrane's A Love Supreme. When I started listening to Miles Davis' classic late 50s output, I could hear how Bitches deconstructed the earlier jazz. But, yeah, if I were teaching a course in jazz, there is something to be said for some sort of chronological understanding. But, of course, Bitches makes a solid argument that time and space are a cosmic Mobius strip.