I need a new cartridge, which is the best?

oldschoolfan

It's the Marantz 6300 guy again, I hooked up the existing Astactic per recommendations, right side has some "poor" audio, left side nothing.
i was wondering if anyone has this TT, and what cartridge would be the best or most economical.
Someone has suggested an Audio Technica ATN71E, and i have checked the sites, but I thought I would get it from "the experts" first hand.

Also on a last note, the connectors on the TT (L) & (R) were bad, replaced them with a Monster Cable TT cable & connectors, but I read a short between positive and shield on one side and not on the other.
Is this normal, should i be getting the short on both sides, or no short at all?

Is this why one channel only works when I connect it to my amp?

Sorry for all the questions.......
Any suggestions greatly appreciated !
Thanx

Hi oldschoolfan and welcome. There should not be a short between connections! Ground to ground, signal to signal on the TT to cartridge wires, amplifer connection. What you now have is a shorting plug not a signal path.
I have 2 new Audio Technica Universal Mount Cartridges ( both "P" mount and standard 1/4" mount) with supplied adaptor. If you can use either or both , send me a PM.
Ron

Back
Top Bottom