I need a new cartridge.

I just recently got a Michell TecnoDec and TecnoArm.

Right now I have a Goldring 2200 on it. While I do like it's sound it is a crappy tracker, it jumps on passages that my lowly Grado Green and Shure 97xe never did.

I have had a Sumiko Blue Point before and found that HO MC are not to my liking. It sounded thin to me.

I will be using the phono stage in my McIntosh C220.

I am leaning toward a HO MM with detail, dynamics and bloom. Not something that is shrill, analytical and lacking bass.

I'm hoping to spend about 5 bills. actually I would love to spend 2 bills but on the set up I just got I think I need something better.

Thoughts?

Regards.

Ortofon 2M Black, touted as maybe the best MM currently available.
Ortofon 2M Bronze, less expensive version of the Black, with a less-exotic stylus.
Clearaudio Arum Beta (wood body), very smooth with good detail, non-fatiguing sound, natural mids and treble, and a nice full (but not bloated) bass.

Ortofon 2M Black is on the A list. AT150MLX and the Clear Audio choices would be my suggestions too :)

I think you should seriously consider a Benz ACE, that fits the bill for what you're describing. If you want to spend a little less the Dynavector 10X5 is a good bet, but the ACE would probably be better, especially the new "S" version. You're not really going to get the kind of dynamics, detail and bloom that a MC cartridge at this level offers (even HOMC) if you go with MM.

After reading your requirements I have three recomendations for you:

1. Benz Ace

2. Benz Ace

3. Benz Ace

You can pick them up fairly cheaply on Audiogon, if you are quick, I agonized over what cart to buy and finally went with the advice and got a Benz Ace and I can't stop listening to it.

Full bodied bass, mid range smoothness to die for, highs with amazing clarity and no harshness at all and a huge sound stage. Take my word for it you won't be disappointed. Especially if you can pick up one with low hours for around three hundred.

Boy, I just put the Grado Black on for kicks, It does not sound like I remember. Nor is it tracking like I remember. I'd rather have the tracking issues with the Goldring.

Thanks for the replies.

Has anyone had any experience with Goldrings?

After reading your requirements I have three recomendations for you:

1. Benz Ace

2. Benz Ace

3. Benz Ace

You can pick them up fairly cheaply on Audiogon, if you are quick, I agonized over what cart to buy and finally went with the advice and got a Benz Ace and I can't stop listening to it.

Full bodied bass, mid range smoothness to die for, highs with amazing clarity and no harshness at all and a huge sound stage. Take my word for it you won't be disappointed. Especially if you can pick up one with low hours for around three hundred.

Wait I didn't catch that. :D

You got the Blue one?

Has anyone had any experience with Goldrings?

Yes, I've been listening to a friend's system intermittently for years, he has a Goldring Eroica on his turntable. I'm not crazy about it to be honest. It's a good cartridge, but it's a little too polite, I find it boring. It works well with classical though, and that's about all he listens to, so it makes perfect sense for him I guess. He has Vandersteen speakers and Balanced Audio preamp/amp BTW, so no problems there.

Actually, I've decided you should spring for a Glider. :D

My personal preference with the ACE would be to go for the medium output version. This will work fine with a standard MC phono setting. You sort of get the best of both worlds: compatibility and relatively low moving mass. On the other hand, we all know how thrilled Hypnotoad is with his high output version, I'd be shocked if you were disappointed with it.

Wait I didn't catch that. :D

You got the Blue one?

Yes the blue one which is high output which is actually a little higher than my Denon DL-110 and miles ahead in sound quality. And that's not putting the Denon down, it means the Benz is that good.

I hate recommending things but I am serious when I say that this cart has me captivated.

I really did agonize over buying it as I was spending a fair amount on something I couldn't listen to, and I am so glad I did.

Reviewers often say that this and that could compete with much higher priced items, with the Benz I believe every word of it.

Easy,

I have no personal experience, but I was recently at Hollywood Sound, a Michell dealer in Florida. Larry, the TT guru there said the Dynavector 10x5 is like a dream on the Tecnodec, especially if you denude the cart body.

BTW, I fell in love with the Tecnodec while I was there. I've got a bad case of the gots-to-have-its! How do you like yours?

-Bob

Yes, I've been listening to a friend's system intermittently for years, he has a Goldring Eroica on his turntable. I'm not crazy about it to be honest. It's a good cartridge, but it's a little too polite, I find it boring. It works well with classical though, and that's about all he listens to, so it makes perfect sense for him I guess. He has Vandersteen speakers and Balanced Audio preamp/amp BTW, so no problems there.

Actually, I've decided you should spring for a Glider. :D

On the other hand, we all know how thrilled Hypnotoad is with his high output version, I'd be shocked if you were disappointed with it.

Just where did you get the idea I was thrilled with it?:D

How much better is the Glider than the Ace as I have read that there isn't a huge difference?

As far as the Goldring's go I tried the 1012 GX that came with my table and the biggest drawback was the surface noise, which is something the Benz excels at reducing.

I've never seen nor heard a TecnoDec but I do run a Michell Gyro SE with a TecnoArm. I happily use an Audio Technica OC9 ML II LO MC which are available at permanent discount prices from Needle Doctor. Purveyors of vinyl urban myths say that they're bright and harsh. I've yet to hear anything other than accurate neutrality and excellent tracking.

I was going to recommend I Denon Dl-160, but after hearing a AT150MLX recently, I would have to recommend the 150MLX. The wide sound stage is hard to beat, no rolled off high or lows, sounds wonderful, and well balanced. It is a totally different animal than the AT440mla. The brightness of the 440mla goes away with use, but it's midrange sibilence is very suspect IMHO, especially with piano recordings-reminds me of first generation CD's.
This will be my next catridge purchase.

I've never seen nor heard a TecnoDec but I do run a Michell Gyro SE with a TecnoArm. I happily use an Audio Technica OC9 ML II LO MC which are available at permanent discount prices from Needle Doctor. Purveyors of vinyl urban myths say that they're bright and harsh. I've yet to hear anything other than accurate neutrality and excellent tracking.

Think he was looking for moving magnet types.

I am. My phono stage is MM only. So MM or HO MC is the call. I'm not interested in getting a step up or external phono stage right now.

That would eliminate any AT moving coils, if I recall they are all low output. Regardless it's great you have some decent cash to spend on a nice cartridge...good luck!!

Have you considered a Sound-Smith.com cart? They seem to be well liked by those who have them, most seem to say they are warm and and nice like MM's but still highly detailed with a great soundstage like MC's. I would say that or an Audio Technica 150mlx. Best of luck, Nick

Easy,

I have no personal experience, but I was recently at Hollywood Sound, a Michell dealer in Florida. Larry, the TT guru there said the Dynavector 10x5 is like a dream on the Tecnodec, especially if you denude the cart body.

BTW, I fell in love with the Tecnodec while I was there. I've got a bad case of the gots-to-have-its! How do you like yours?

-Bob

I really like it. I was prepared to not really hear any difference from my last TT, but there is a substantial difference. The separation of instruments and vocals increased and sound stage got bigger. And I'm using the same cartridge as before and a similar arm.

I listened to the Gyro too, which is a beautiful table, but I am not into springs. Too much fuss and I prefer the sound of an unsprung table. Are there even any new spring designs? The motor is DC and silent anyway.

I guess I really should get a TT shelf. I don't really walk around when listening though.

I just want to listen to music, not get into denuding this and that, etc.

Regards,
Chuck

Have you considered a Sound-Smith.com cart? They seem to be well liked by those who have them, most seem to say they are warm and and nice like MM's but still highly detailed with a great soundstage like MC's. I would say that or an Audio Technica 150mlx. Best of luck, Nick

Do you have a Audio-Technica Cartridge 150 MLX? I was checking that out. It looks very tempting. 309 on LP Gear.

Last edited:
Do you have a Audio-Technica Cartridge 150 MLX? I was checking that out. Is it MM or HO MC. It does no specify on Needle Doctor.

It is an MM, and no I don't own one, but I've heard one and they are quite good, and I think your table would really do it justice.

Back
Top Bottom