i need a new usb hub

Discussion in 'Digital Integration' started by crazy eights, Jan 2, 2019.

1. crazy eights

crazy eights Active Member

i'm researching for a decent usb hub to use for my external storage hdds, preferably 4 port, the ones i have been using seem to work poorly after some time (they get sluggish and unreliable), i don't know if i should use a powered or non powered unit, i am basically interested in suggestions from people who use and have found a reliable unit that they are pleased with over a reasonably long term

is there one that you know to be high quality that you like?

i am open to suggestions and would appreciate your opinions

i use foobar for playback and it feeds into a schiit stack consisting of an eiter to a modi multibit

i am using seagate 4tb drives, i have a brand new WD external that i want to use for a back up but don't want to start transfer until i find a better hub

thanks in advance for any and all suggestions

Please register to disable this ad.

2. eizner23

eizner23 Well-Known Member

Are you currently using a powered hub? That is the way to go, it doesn't draw power from the computer.

Anker brand seems popular with computer musicians I know. Targus and Belkin not so much.

When you get the new hub get a hard disk benchmark utility and check the transfer rates.

mgosdin, Bill Ferris and crazy eights like this.
  3. orsen

orsen just another old cheapskate that likes audio

make sure your pc has usb 3 or better
    my music pc did not have usb 3 and transfer rates were terrible
    i ended up buying a pcie to usb3 add on card

mgosdin, Bill Ferris and crazy eights like this.
  4. mgosdin

mgosdin Well-Known Member

+1 on Anker. I have one of their USB 3 hubs on my laptop that my 4TB MyBook feeds Audio & Video files thru. No issues. It has power switches for each port which is nice when I want to shut something off but I don't want to pull the USB plug on it.

Mark Gosdin

eizner23 and crazy eights like this.