I need a wall-wart power supply

Frank Sch

I bought one of those mini integrated amps to play around with. It came without a power source. It requires 12 to 18v DC @2 amps. I've looked at wall warts at some thrift stores with no luck. Any ideas where to find one? Thanks.Screen Shot 2018-12-18 at 5.07.29 PM.png

Pretty popular topic today - back to back posts for me.

I'm using a 12v 6a computer monitor brick here to power an HD Radio head on the home system with good results. Quiet, and should give you more than enough juice ... I think I paid $12 for a good one off amazon.

For wall wart, match voltage rating and go over and the amp rating. Device amp rating is how much draw so it is ok (preferable) to be over.

That's why those wee amps are so cheap -- they either come without a power supply, or if they do come with a wallwart it's undersized for the job.

A power supply with sufficient oomph is the costly bit.

and since the amplifier unit doesn't plug in there is no electrical safety testing required - it's up to the wall wart.

I would recommend getting a comparatively inexpensive Jameco linear in lieu of a switcher for reduced noise. They have different models depending upon the size of the DC connector.

Click here for a list of their offerings.

I was just about to suggest an LPS though you beat me to it. Better sound quality ;)

4Amp is better than the 2A one. More overhead. Should run cooler since it is only at 50% power. More stable over time. Let us know how it turns out.

Problem solved. Today I checked out a thrift store that had a whole box of cables and power supplies. One of the lap top power supplies had the right specs but I wasn't sure of the plug size so I bought the whole box for $10. Turns out the power supply I looked at DID fit. The mini amp works just fine, and I have a whole bunch of extra cables and wall warts! :)fullsizeoutput_12f2.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom