I Need Absolutely Nothing, But Want to Buy More!

I believe it's OK to excess for a while, but also being able to just pass on it, or pass it on, as in sell is important too. If the memories attached to the stuff become too strong, and it's a buy cause it's there... maybe it's time to take "inventory" and re-evaluate. Space/money and OS works into the buying equation as well. The last variable will quickly clue you into the first two!:D

Q

Stop Making Sense!

I've got enough excellent audio equipment to make a half-dozen people happy. BUT I search Barter Town multiple times every day. I search Craigslist locally, regionally, and nationally several times a week. I study my setups and keep asking myself, "What else do I need?" And the answer keeps coming back: NOTHING!

Do any of you have "the sickness"? This obsessive need to keep buying great vintage equipment is really frustrating. What do you do when you have more than you need and you still want more?

No, not that particular one.

Well let's see. I've not made a purchase in weeks. I do look at least every 24 hours. But I think I've made it over the top, here's what happened yesterday.
I listened to rock. For about two hours, something I rarely do.
I used a basic 80 watt JVC vr-5660 from 1974, nothing special, but great for rock it turns out. The speakers were 102 db sensitive Kenwood KL777A's that are ideal for rock, some other things not so much. But for rock in a 14x16 with the JVC they're all of it.
So with the now distant memory of all that greatness I just don't see it getting any better. Except tonight will most likely be big band.
So back to Barter Town.

If I could just stop getting better at listening I think I could kick the habit. Chasing the tail.

I'm up to my ass cheeks in great gear. I've finally decided enough is freaking enough.
Fair enough .

[/Quote]
The beloved receiver sell-off has begun in earnest. On the chopping block, restored 1250, 1010, and non restored Marantz PM84D. Then I'll have the cash I need to get a serious power amp for those XRT 20's that so need the juice.[/QUOTE]

Blasphemy.
Who does this ?? :)

Last edited:
Well let's see. I've not made a purchase in weeks. I do look at least every 24 hours. But I think I've made it over the top, here's what happened yesterday.
I listened to rock. For about two hours, something I rarely do.
I used a basic 80 watt JVC vr-5660 from 1974, nothing special, but great for rock it turns out. The speakers were 102 db sensitive Kenwood KL777A's that are ideal for rock, some other things not so much. But for rock in a 14x16 with the JVC they're all of it.
So with the now distant memory of all that greatness I just don't see it getting any better. Except tonight will most likely be big band.
So back to Barter Town.

:rflmao:
But you have so MANY choices

It’s actually reached the point where I almost hope I don’t stumble upon something . Almost .

At this point I would like to "stumble upon" a really good amp. Not a receiver, not an integrated. Just a straight amp. Never had one.
I think it's about time, and I paid my dues.

I've got enough excellent audio equipment to make a half-dozen people happy. BUT I search Barter Town multiple times every day. I search Craigslist locally, regionally, and nationally several times a week. I study my setups and keep asking myself, "What else do I need?" And the answer keeps coming back: NOTHING!

Do any of you have "the sickness"? This obsessive need to keep buying great vintage equipment is really frustrating. What do you do when you have more than you need and you still want more?

Is there an Audioholics Anonymous?

Dave

I went through 19 years of hunting down every piece of McIntosh I could find starting when Audiogon was a newsletter and I went berserk ,I owned every McIntosh line array except the 20s ,when I got the XR-290s and Mc-1201s was the 1st year of the C-2200 preamp ,when I got the C-2200 I found gold and was for the 1st time 110% satasfied with my system ,my listening room ,my accoustical treatements ,my music collection ,my wiring ,my electrical upgrades for a dedicated 20 amp line to all 5 amps ,I just spent the next 11 years in heaven ,forgot my eBay info ,dropped out of Audiogon and just enjoyed the shit out of my system , that all changed when my brother asked me to sell him a system out of my room full of extra gear ,I ended up giving him my best speaker system ,the XR-290s that we're Roger Russell's personal 1 piece White pair along with a C-2200 & a U-Haul full of music ,now the hunt is back on even though I need nothing.

My 5 channel rig hasn't changed in 15 years with XRT-22s on front and rears but I bought a pair of XRT-28s near me and now the addiction is worse than ever ,in the last 2 months I've bought 6 pcs of individual Mac gear ,and an entire McIntosh/JBL/Klipsch system ,I'm at the point where I'm having stuff made that McIntosh dosent even sell ,here's my last batch of Mc swag ,the craftsmanship is equal to Mc with the speaker badge below .
20190109_155352.jpg

Except for 2 of the small green logos and 4 of the gold on black engraved speaker badges I have no use for most of this but had it all made anyways .
20190109_193555.jpg

I already have the vintage R778 dealer only MADE IN USA display box ,2 McIntosh banners ,over a dozen McIntosh posters autographed by Roger Russell ,McIntosh coasters ,McIntosh car window decals ,a McIntosh Mc-275 wall picture framed in aluminum and blue neon from a trade show ,a neon McIntosh window sign from a defunct dealer but I still bought this $1,500 piece that does absolutely nothing and is causing me to rip an entire room apart to fit the piece into a rack space because it can't sit atop an amp ,or even with my Emotiva gear .
20190109_203809.jpg

My wife says I'm out of control because when we have new carpet installed I want to have a 3ft x 4,ft Mc logo in blue cut into our white carpet in the new listening room ,my 2nd dedicated listening room in this house lol

Attachments

• 20190109_203809.jpg
    20190109_203809.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 1
I went through 19 years of hunting down every piece of McIntosh I could find starting when Audiogon was a newsletter and I went berserk ,I owned every McIntosh line array except the 20s ,when I got the XR-290s and Mc-1201s was the 1st year of the C-2200 preamp ,when I got the C-2200 I found gold and was for the 1st time 110% satasfied with my system ,my listening room ,my accoustical treatements ,my music collection ,my wiring ,my electrical upgrades for a dedicated 20 amp line to all 5 amps ,I just spent the next 11 years in heaven ,forgot my eBay info ,dropped out of Audiogon and just enjoyed the shit out of my system , that all changed when my brother asked me to sell him a system out of my room full of extra gear ,I ended up giving him my best speaker system ,the XR-290s that we're Roger Russell's personal 1 piece White pair along with a C-2200 & a U-Haul full of music ,now the hunt is back on even though I need nothing.

My 5 channel rig hasn't changed in 15 years with XRT-22s on front and rears but I bought a pair of XRT-28s near me and now the addiction is worse than ever ,in the last 2 months I've bought 6 pcs of individual Mac gear ,and an entire McIntosh/JBL/Klipsch system ,I'm at the point where I'm having stuff made that McIntosh dosent even sell ,here's my last batch of Mc swag ,the craftsmanship is equal to Mc with the speaker badge below .
View attachment 1386403

Except for 2 of the small green logos and 4 of the gold on black engraved speaker badges I have no use for most of this but had it all made anyways .
View attachment 1386408

I already have the vintage R778 dealer only MADE IN USA display box ,2 McIntosh banners ,over a dozen McIntosh posters autographed by Roger Russell ,McIntosh coasters ,McIntosh car window decals ,a McIntosh Mc-275 wall picture framed in aluminum and blue neon from a trade show ,a neon McIntosh window sign from a defunct dealer but I still bought this $1,500 piece that does absolutely nothing and is causing me to rip an entire room apart to fit the piece into a rack space because it can't sit atop an amp ,or even with my Emotiva gear .
View attachment 1386428

My wife says I'm out of control because when we have new carpet installed I want to have a 3ft x 4,ft Mc logo in blue cut into our white carpet in the new listening room ,my 2nd dedicated listening room in this house lol

Okay, you win. :)

I've hit the point where I don't want more. I will entertain "better" but something would have to leave. I like to window shop, but unless whatever it is can do something better / different / more than what I own already, it stays in the window. My soft spot is cheap things that nobody wants. If I think I can make it whole again, occasionally I take on pity projects. Thats why I've managed to end up with so many Garrard record changers.

I'm not so sure about that winning deal lol ,I thought I won for the 11 years I was so satisfied I never once even wondered what new gear had came out ,it's ok though ,a man's gotta have a winter time hobby ,I'm too old and usually to stoned to go snowmobiling so indoor activities are right up my alley .
I think it's fitting that you would have those supporting items. Justified in fact.
I don't need a vintage neon eight foot long Mercury Racing dealer sign to complement my twin Mercury engine offshore race boat but I have it.
You have my blessing.

1252_stacked.jpg It was really in the late 60 and 70's when I got out of college that I started swapping and upgrading, 11 Mac amps, 6 Crown amps, 4 Mac pre amps, 5 tuners, MPI-3 and 4,> Still have two of the tuners, the MPI-4 and the 2505. But for 30 years I kind of went into Mcintosh hibernation. Then I upgraded pre-amps added HT and and up graded CD player added a DVD player more EQ's a new phono pre-amp another HT processor and 3 HT amps. two. MC 207 and a MC 206. Its rough when you bi and tri- amp . Center and rear and side speakers were added and upgraded. 3 bi-amped and two with rebuilt passive crossovers. Phono cartridges were replaced. Thats what started all this; I trashed my Last Stanton 981 HZL cantilever. Frank Gow and I got together and the rest is history. Steve has taken up the reigns since Frank left us. A MX151, MP-100, MR 7083, and almost a pair of XR 290's. But I wasn't fast enough. and $30,000 is a lot of money for some one on a fixed income . Now if I win the lottery, tomorrow, watch out. But I think I need to buy a ticket first. My first stop Coburg, Oregon. Then Audio Classics. Whats in Coburg, a new RV to load all the New and Pre-owed sound equipment. Its a shame Steve doesn't have any MC 3500's any more. I guess I would need a stacker trailer to hall the car and all the large gear. Its a shame Prevost only used 500 HP engines, when 600 HP Cummins are available.

It would be fun to take out the KEF speakers and all the Crestron stuff. And start over. M&K S 150's with a sub and satellites with Mac electronics. It already has a DirectV mobile dish set up. The Tivoli lights can be programmed for any color. If I was a Nascar sponsor I could have any length car trailer RV combination I wanted and still be able to drive in California.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom