I Need Absolutely Nothing, But Want to Buy More!

Thanks, Bret. I checked with Celt and apparently some other AKers are having problems with Quote, too. Luther is checking it out.

Dave

"Dave B., post: 12357236, member: 251410"]musical said : >>The aliens won't let me use multi-quote, either.<<

They're cloaking our quoting!

Dave[/QUOTE]

:rflmao::rflmao::rflmao:

Quadman2 said: >>Where in the h##l is Scotty at a time like this?<<

He's hiding from the aliens at a karaoke bar:

Star-Trek-Scotty Singing.jpg

Dave

I've got enough excellent audio equipment to make a half-dozen people happy. BUT I search Barter Town multiple times every day. I search Craigslist locally, regionally, and nationally several times a week and I have Hifi Shark finds waiting for me every morning. I study my setups and keep asking myself, "What else do I need?" And the answer keeps coming back: NOTHING!

Do any of you have "the sickness"? This obsessive need to keep buying great vintage equipment is really frustrating. What do you do when you have more than you need and you still want more?

Is there an Audioholics Anonymous?

Dave
I changed my audio buying addiction to less expensive, smaller items, budget phono carts, and a new music choice listening.

I don't have any "gear acquisition" issues. My problem is the damn weak link in my system. That sucker keeps moving!

I've got enough excellent audio equipment to make a half-dozen people happy. BUT I search Barter Town multiple times every day. I search Craigslist locally, regionally, and nationally several times a week and I have Hifi Shark finds waiting for me every morning. I study my setups and keep asking myself, "What else do I need?" And the answer keeps coming back: NOTHING!

Do any of you have "the sickness"? This obsessive need to keep buying great vintage equipment is really frustrating. What do you do when you have more than you need and you still want more?

Is there an Audioholics Anonymous?

Dave

only cure I know of is for you to start selling everything. Make other people happy and when you are rid of most of it you can buy more.....

As Champco's avatar suggests, even those with great "gear" see others' great "gear" as potentially better. Green grass on the other side of the fence leads to wanderlust...or just plain regular lust...for more or better or different gear. And with audio, every piece and combination sounds just different enough to warrant a continual search for the holy grail combination. The joy is in the search/experimentation.

Audio can fulfill it's promise spectacularly when provided with spectacular recordings. Not all systems can resolve the full experience of a spectacular recording. Not all people can assemble the combination of individual elements which can extract the most from a recording. Not all people can having assembled a almighty combination then utilise the system so as to maximise that potential. One needs to invest a lot of listening hours on a lot of different systems to understand what lies on the recording. With a great aural education one can use select recordings as the litmus test/proof of capability.

Our ear/brain is very sophisticated and doesn't like certain types of distortion. Also it is sensitive to many other fatcors which have to be minimised if we are to experience a similacrum of what was recorded. We can ruin this grand illusion very easily. It is a tight-rope walk to fully achieve. Few do. I do not include myself among them. I have learnt more in the last 10 years than in the previous 30. Of those 10, the last 3 years have been the most eye opening. It is a shock to hear recordings transform to degree that one could not conceive. It is very satisfying to unlock recordings.Some recordings(let's put aside the performances just for aguments sake) are masterpieces. Oh yes, the performances are transcendental both with regard to the composer and the orchestra/ conducting. Another level of connection with the music is acheived with great recordings on a great system. Any recording on a great system will be as good as that recording will sound, but a great recording on a great system cannot but deeply satisfy.

I was like you once. Reading everything. Doing a circuit of the dealers in the city where I lived. Listening to their systems. Assembling my own very modest systems. Learning as I went. I was exposed to great sound in the late 70s and rarely heard anything that good and extremely rarely heard anything better. If anyone had told me even five years ago that there was much better than that, I'd concede in principle but demur in practice. I can now understand that most systems can never convery the extent of the greatness of the great recordings. In the end it is stampede of small design elements which sabotage many systems at the blueprint stage. Components which sound really good. Every one says they sound really good. But they don't come close to opening out the recording. My analogy would be an Imax film being watched on a Galaxy 10 phone. it might be engrossing and exhilarating on the Samsung galaxy phone but it is not what was documented in the original Imax cinema experience.

Sometimes we search wanting to experience the truth of the great recordings. The audio bug can be a homage to the great recordings. To honour the great recordings with greatly unshackled reproduction. To hear it once, is to want it.

Back
Top Bottom