I need advise for my RSII

I have dark stain on mine and would prefer your tone of oak. I'd sealed up my RS 2.5s with Gorilla Glue. First, I removed all the drivers, then I pulled out all the poly fill and vacuumed out the cabinets. I cut and glued in some front to back braces to stiffen the cabinet and then pressed gorilla glue into all the corners to fill and seal all the small gaps. Then I stapled carpet padding on the sides and back of the cabinet to deaden it. I sprayed contact cement in first before stapling in the pad. Lastly, I sanded and finished them with a satin polyurethane. Now they sound great and look great too.

I may build an outboard crossover for my RS IIs since Infinity placed a lot of the inductors a little too close to each other and it would be fun to tweak it a bit to get optimum sound.

Larry D.

Got a buzzing coming from one of the rear firing emits. I may have to just bite the bullet and dig into this rebuild. The wiring looks a bit intimidating for me to tackle.

My RS II wiring is the same as the "official" schematic posted at Klaus's website.
That was a pleasant surprise given Infinitys made on the fly production line changes.
If you are that lucky then it would be a guide for you to use.
I hand drew a rather crude wiring guide before I started the recap on mine. Also took some pictures.
I usually tighten all the screws on the drivers a couple times a year, just don't over tighten and strip out the wood. You might check the EMIT screws, front is 1/4" head (or use a screwdriver), back is a nut.

Interesting you mention a buzzing....maybe 3 nights ago heard a buzzing/rattling coming from my right speaker.
It was really prominent on a song with some strong kick drum hits.
Figured uh-oh here we go...first thought was one of the mids or bass drivers was the culprit.
Like probably many other RS II owners my grilles have been broken and repaired through the years.
The 4 grille holes that go on the pegs are slightly misaligned due to the repairs, it was the actual grille frame that was buzzing/rattling.
A couple dabs of blu-tak like putty near the pegs fixed the buzz/rattle.

Last edited:
Ha! The buzzing was the grill rattling. What a relief! Though I did spray all the contacts with deoxit and that helped to clear things up as well.

Man my Yamaha PC2002m gets hot driving these. I know it can take it but I can't help but feel bad for it. It lived such a cushy life driving studio monitors before me.

No kidding????

Wow.
I honestly figured it was an EMIT problem based on your post and thought IF the two screws that hold them were loose it MIGHT cause some buzzing.
I threw out my rattling story just because...I did not think it was the cause of your problem based on the description.

Glad for you but sucks for me.
Used up my one helpful useful informative post for the year early in Feb.
Guess I may as well quit posting till next year.
It's been fun.
See you all in 2019!

So I have a rebuild thread on here that may provide some info. I replaced the wiring, though I think the biggest difference for me was the bass, by sealing the cabinet with new gaskets for the woofers and the crossover board. I also used some silicone or something on the cabinet seams on the inside.

The other big contributor in my case was drilling the screw holes out and using bolts with T-nuts to hold the woofers tighter. The screws couldn't be tightened much without stripping out the holes.

There's a recent thread on here about a crossover rebuild that's got me thinking about that again....

Back
Top Bottom