I need help getting started

Promit

Apologies if there's a FAQ somewhere I missed. I'm trying to get started with a TT, mainly to play some old and more obscure vinyl that my father's had in a box for ages and just for the fun of it really. We're both hi-fi enthusiasts and so I have pretty good equipment overall. Yamaha Aventage receiver (with phono input), SVS towers and subs, etc. I need a basic turntable that will generally do justice to things played on it. I have very little understanding of what differentiates one turntable from the next, how to identify a good model, how to assess the condition of a particular TT, etc. Budget is roundabout $200 max and I'd rather stay lower.

I'm in Baltimore and there's a guy locally who basically refurbs vintage equipment and resells it. Here's an example:
https://baltimore.craigslist.org/ele/d/akai-ap-d210-semi-automatic/6372961980.html
Is it better to get one of these that is perhaps not a popular model but has been serviced and cleaned up? Or am I better off trying to find a well known TT (Technics etc) from someone who just has one? I have no idea how to determine what is a good buying choice.

This is a good buying choice. There was recent thread here indicating that this price is a bit on high side, but it is really solid table.

The premium for the service is just too high IMO for that Akai -- which has decent specs, but nowhere the reputation of the SL-D2. You also may get the Sl-D2 for a bit less than the asking price. I don't know what Shure cartridge is on this one, but probably not one of better ones. (If you find out the cartridge you can get an opinion here or do search here -- might be basis for negotiating down price.) Technics is nice since aligning a replacement cartridge is easy with a $10 plastic tool you can buy on ebay. Also you can get other headshells cheaply and swap cartridges that way.

The guy who refurbs equipment may be good and may do all he says, I don't know. The stuff he sells is low end -- like he obtains his stock at goodwill or curb (not that there is anything wrong with that).

In general, my feeling is get a well known TT rather than pay premium for lesser one that has been supposedly serviced.

I’m no expert with TT, but this is what I generally prefer:

- non-Chinese, vintage TT with decent weight to it, generally the heavier the better, but not always, brand names usually doesn’t matter to me. It the built quality that counts.

- fully automatic, non-belt driven models

- quartz controlled, not pitch-controllable.

- already comes with a good condition, brand name stylus. Condition can be verified under a microscope with about a 40X system magnification. This is important - don’t “cut corners” on this one. I bought a scope mainly for this purpose. Beware of cheap generic replacement styli from eBay.

- comes with functioning and clean top cover.

- among my favorites are digital programmable fully automatic linear tracking units from Mitsubishi and Hitachi. These things are so cool. There are no home TT made today that works or look like these.

Last edited:
Condition can be verified under a microscope with about a 40X system magnification. This is important - don’t “cut corners” on this one. I bought a scope mainly for this purpose.

I second this recommendation. Sometimes sound starts getting bad and quick inspection will show cause. This assumes you have removable headshell (highly recommended -- some don't have it).

You can get fully adequate 60x microscope from ebay for less than $5. I got one at recommendation of AK member -- does the trick. He also taught me about using Mr. Clean magic eraser to clean the stylus.

Search here when you have a rainy day about record cleaning.

Unfortunately that person, plus another person selling a D2, have not responded. So I'm still on the lookout for a good table I can actually get.

That is so frustrating. In the meantime when others come up (like the qd33), go to main page, put model in search, select titles only, and read up. Some models have common problems you can learn about. you will also get reviews. then search record cleaning. clean record and stylus are huge.

Just a suggestion I would see if you can find a Phillips 312 . I had one with a Stanton 681eee that was a nice sounding entry level table for under 150.00. Wish I had keep it .

Spend 25.00 on becoming a subscriber here which you will then have access to bartertown. Look for a unit from Pioneer or technics or yamaha as they will have good resale when you wish to upgrade. Lookm for a unit that you can easily change out headshell/carts as that is a good way to upgrade without replacing table. No P mounts.. The more automated and/or direct drive the more issues unit can have. I think you can get a decent TT in proper working order for under 150.00 shipped here on AK!

There's now a NAD 533 (more or less a Rega P2) listed locally ($180). Would it be a better choice than the Technics QD33, price notwithstanding?

Last edited:
Anything Technics will be a good start out, with the exception of their models designed for their rack systems. Personally I would go direct drive so have no worries about belt replacement and ideally quartz locked. Some of the better JVC models (again direct drive) fly under the radar quite often.

Belt drive vs. direct drive. Vintage vs. new. Manual vs. semi-auto vs. fully auto. Quartz lock vs. servo-controlled. P-mount vs. 1/2-inch. Etc. vs. Etc. There are pluses and minuses to each and every system and they've been beat to death here and elsewhere.

Find a turntable that sounds good to you, has the features you want and is in decent condition and don't get too caught-up in the rhetoric.

I also ask myself too ... if it turns out that I don't like this, am I going to lose money if I sell it? A $180 NAD 533? Probably not. Also there are a large number of upgrades you can do, if it turns out to be 'the one'.

Back
Top Bottom