I need help identifying these vintage speakers

Kodomoae86

Hi I bought these at thrift store and I restored them now I need to know what kind of speakers they are [Mod Edit] and see how much they're worth
On the inside only number I can see is
33-23026 and under that 1056 912
Thanks

Attachments

• 20180211_210233.jpg
    20180211_210233.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 152
  • 20180214_173516.jpg
    20180214_173516.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 146
  • 15186594657911543060249.jpg
    15186594657911543060249.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 145
Last edited by a moderator:
You've come to the right place for help,.... & Welcome to AK!

tenor.gif

Unfortunately, I'm not sure what brand those are,...but I'm confident someone will chime in soon.

Those speakers appear to be from any number of small stereo systems known in the trade as 'compact' systems. Compact stereos usually included a turntable, receiver/amp and possibly an 8-track or cassette player.

Sold through countless department and discount store chains, they came in many sizes and colors. The speakers pictured would have been included in the typical drug store or K-Mart type of store, placed on sale every Sunday for the decades of the 70s and 80s.

Cheers,

David

Thanks the speaker size is 5inches the cabinets are 8 inches width and almost 10 inches length no makings on the back

So not worth anything? I just restored some epi 602s but wanted to fix some smaller speakers and try my luck selling them I guess i wasting my time then?

If they sound okay, try to sell them. Lots of people are obsessed with de-cluttering and finding small speakers so they don't have to give up any of their precious "space". The popularity of subwoofers makes it easier than ever to integrate small speakers into a system with good results. Sell 'em!

1056 code comes up as Fisher (?)

Yeah they sound great I'm guessing they are japanese made i I just fixed a set of Pioneer speakers to they looked similar to these ones but those had badges so it was easier to pinpoint the brand

Thanks for your guys help I will try and sell them as Fisher speakers on eBay and see what happens

First, you can't come here and say something is for sale.
Second, question of value belongs in Dollars and Sense.
Third, what makes you think they are "Fisher" and if they are not Fisher it will be grounds for not as described and bad feedback on ebay.
Sorry, I now see why Fisher was mentioned. My mistake. Apologies.
Have to wonder though if shipping would cost more than the speakers.

Oh, welcome to AK.

Last edited:
If you can get a dollar for them, take it.

This. More likely though you're just going to have to swallow whatever you paid for them. Those are the exact kind of speakers constantly occupying my local crap thrift store shelves that I walk right past every day without so much as a glance.

The drivers were made by GEFCO, who put them in the boxes and marketed them will be more of a guess.

Thanks for bringing Gefco to my attention. I would have thought Fisher by the EIA code. I have a 1961 list (in PDF) and it shows no Fisher, but does show Gefco as 1056. Do you have any idea if Gefco made Fisher speakers? I have speakers from a Fisher console with the 1056 EIA code, and I do find Fisher listed elsewhere as being 1056.

I picked up a very similar set for my dad a few years ago to put in his office paired with alittle Panasonic stereo. I'm almost certain those are Panasonic but I'm sure there are several brands an models that are similar out there. Btw they were really nice small speakers, real wood cabinets, real aluminum trim, an cloth grills they cleaned up nice an sound decent too.

I picked up a very similar set for my dad a few years ago to put in his office paired with alittle Panasonic stereo. I'm almost certain those are Panasonic but I'm sure there are several brands an models that are similar out there. Btw they were really nice small speakers, real wood cabinets, real aluminum trim, an cloth grills they cleaned up nice an sound decent too.

I had that same system at one point.... I don't recall what I did with it, or what the model numbers were. Since having that system, I have seen other speakers, either identical, or similar, that were branded something other than Panasonic.

I had that receiver connected to an Altec 755A for awhile :)

I really don't know that answer for sure. What i am confident of is that 1056 stamped in red ink is Gefco.

It used to be often parroted that the 1056 code was re-cycled at some point. But, i'm not sure there has ever been any provenance of that. Maybe Gordon W or one of the other real speaker gurus will post with some helpful factoids.

Ok, Thank you.

I had not noticed the ink color....... I just checked and mine are red ink too.

HOLY CRAP BATMAN!!!!

I just realized I have a pair of those here.
And they are used here 5 days a week, hooked up to a cheapie JC Penney receiver (not even an MCS) that is triggered by a light timer and acts as my alarm clock.
I think they were part of a record player (can't remember if there was a radio too) and speaker combo I got around 1974 as a gift. Step or two above white van but nothing to brag about.
Can't remember who made them. Pretty sure it wasn't Fisher, though many brands may have used similar speakers.
Long ago one of the drivers failed and I replaced it with a driver from the local tv repair place.

Back
Top Bottom