I need help setting up a computer based system

Wes_in_VA

I own a bike shop and I want to set up a computer based system to play through my Onkyo TX2500 MKII/EPI 140c system.
I've ripped a good chunk of my CD collection to Google Play and had hoped to use Chromecast Audio so stream from my laptop. That hasn't worked because the Chromecast Audio has been unable to stay connected to my network. (I'd like to give up on the wireless streaming for a number of reasons, so please, no suggestions about what I might do there.)
What I happened to realize is that I have a spare desktop tower that I could use as a music server and just download CD's directly to that.
The part I need help with is whether there's a way for me to easily control the music without having a keyboard and monitor hooked up to the tower? I know that in terms of getting the audio to the receiver I can get a USB DAC but that's about all I know.
I'm trying to spend as little money as possible on this.
I'd appreciate any suggestions.

I think there are a bunch of ways to do it.

First, if the computer has headphone out or line out you don't even need an external DAC, just a simple cable. Whether or not that's good enough for the application you decide, but for $3 you should try the cable (heck maybe you have one already).

As far as remote control of the computer, I use TeamViewer (host?) on the computer and the client on smartphone or tablet to control Foobar 2000 (or anything on the computer, for that matter). It certainly works but something like JRiver, et al, might be more optimum.

OTOH, if you have crappy WiFi then not sure well how any of the remote stuff will work unless it can also work via 4G/cellular data and that is OK.

Last edited:
There are several different Virtual KVM Switch software packages. I use Multiplicity.

You could also setup and use Remote Desktop which is built into Windows.

VLC media player has a remote control program for Android, maybe iPhone too. Both are free. Still need wifi, though it won't be streaming.

If this is for a back room shop, OK. If it's public area, you need a license to play music - Pandora Business is one approach, cost includes public licensing of music.

OK. If it's public area, you need a license to play music - Pandora Business is one approach, cost includes public licensing of music.
^^^True dat.

@Wes_in_VA. Though the chances are remote you'd get busted, it's not out of the question that BMI, et.al. could knock on your door. Typically no fines on "first offenses" but you will be put on notice to either license or cease and desist.

Pandora Business is an OK one stop painless (other that $$$) solution for random genre based background tunes. Cheaper to license direct and play whatever you want when you want ala CDs or HDD....but the accounting & reporting requirements are a PITA without the right software to manage the process.

So play on and Good luck.

They make traditional remote controls for computers.
I have an HP unit on my current desktop PC that does exactly what I need it to do,and that is mostly just play/pause/next song.
Volume is currently controlled by the remote for my Teac A-1D integrated.

Just go on amazon and search PC remote or some variation of that.

That HP unit was as simple as it gets,plug it in a usb port and it automatically loads the driver and presto it's ready to go.

Dont know how well it works with non-MS players though,but it works like a charm with WMP (OS = Win7pro) no porblemo.

Right around $20.00 too so there's minimal risk in giving one a shot.

Plus there are dozens of other brand PC remotes out there as well.

HTH

Bret P.

Plex. Plex is what you want. It's brilliant. Runs as a server (on your tower for example) and has full remote control capabilities from a host of devices including Android. The Plex client software allows you control playback or even play the file directly onto the device you are holding in your hand. They also have a cloud service which I believe is in beta at the moment.

As mentioned above, VLC can offer this functionality but the interface of Plex is way better IMHO. As another alternative, you could try Kodi (formerly known as XBMC). It's all free - put Kodi on the tower machine and you can remote control all playback functions from your Android device using an app called Kore (again, free).

Here's a vid of me, doing a bad demo of Kodi / Kore.

Enjoyed your vid there Markoneswift. I didn't read the posts above here but I am casting from my iPad to Mac mini thru a cheap dac then into one of them cheap Chinese amps out to some inexpensive
Onix speakers while I browse this site. Pink Floyd is hard as work as I type. Sounds good to these old ears!!

Enjoyed your vid there Markoneswift. I didn't read the posts above here but I am casting from my iPad to Mac mini thru a cheap dac then into one of them cheap Chinese amps out to some inexpensive
Onix speakers while I browse this site. Pink Floyd is hard as work as I type. Sounds good to these old ears!!

There are certainly heaps of options out there mate - many ways to achieve the same goal. I used to try and remotely control the actual computer, but now it's much easier to control the software doing the playback rather than the hardware :)

Plex. Plex is what you want. It's brilliant. Runs as a server (on your tower for example) and has full remote control capabilities from a host of devices including Android. The Plex client software allows you control playback or even play the file directly onto the device you are holding in your hand. They also have a cloud service which I believe is in beta at the moment.

As mentioned above, VLC can offer this functionality but the interface of Plex is way better IMHO. As another alternative, you could try Kodi (formerly known as XBMC). It's all free - put Kodi on the tower machine and you can remote control all playback functions from your Android device using an app called Kore (again, free).

Here's a vid of me, doing a bad demo of Kodi / Kore.

So you need wireless connectivity on your PC then correct? Not bluetooth?

So you need wireless connectivity on your PC then correct? Not bluetooth?

You would need some kind of network between the PC and the remote device, yes. You could connect the PC to a router via Ethernet because it will already have an Ethernet adapter built in. The just use WiFi for the remote device, phone or tablet etc.

And regarding a USB DAC, yeah you can go that route or get an Apple Airport Express and Airfoil from streaming audio off the PC to the receiver. The DAC in the Airport is very very good and they can be found pretty cheaply.

I've ripped a good chunk of my CD collection to Google Play and had hoped to use Chromecast Audio so stream from my laptop. That hasn't worked because the Chromecast Audio has been unable to stay connected to my network. (I'd like to give up on the wireless streaming for a number of reasons, so please, no suggestions about what I might do there.)
(snip)
I'm trying to spend as little money as possible on this.
I'd appreciate any suggestions.

You can get an Ethernet adapter for the Chromecast Audio for $15 from Google.

Back
Top Bottom