1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

I need some help with recording on My Pioneer RT-707

Discussion in 'Tape' started by Onebean, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Onebean

Onebean AK Subscriber Subscriber

I did my first recording in both directions this weekend. I was super excited to sit down for a listen tonight. When I played my freshly recorded tape, it was blank. No sound, no meter movement, nothing on either direction. Previously I made 2 recordings that were single direction only (left to right), and it worked fine, so I must be doing something wrong.

Here's what I did:

Starting with the blank BASF 35 tape, I exercised the tape on FF and REW

Then, with the full blank tape on the left, I began recording, listening to both the source and tape through headphones plugged into the 707. This was with the green arrow like this >.

Then I flipped the take up reel with all the tape on it to the left side, and the BASF reel to the right, and recoded the second side. I'm pretty sure this is where I went wrong.

Tried playing the tape both directions and it's blank.

I read the manual on recording, but it didn't say anything about how to record both directions (or I missed it).

Can the RT-707 record in auto reverse?

Can someone tell me where I went wrong, and the proper procedure?

Onebean

Please register to disable this ad.

2. palsapal

palsapal Active Member

The RT-707 records in one direction only: left to right. It plays in both directions - it has a fourth head for playing back right to left.

Assume you have headphones. With these plugged in, try recording & press in the "Tape Source" - 3rd button from left at the top. What do you see & hear? You should find that your VU meters dance & your hear whatever it is you're recording e.g. turntable. Press the button again so that it comes out (Tape) you should still see the VU meters dancing & you will be listening to what you've recorded just recorded. There will be a slight time difference between the two signals & they could differ in sound level and/or balance between left & right.

3. Onebean

Yes, that exactly what I did, and it was working fine. Does the source / tape switch effect playback?

4. palsapal

palsapal Active Member

Yes, the switch has to be set to Tape for playback.

So, during the second recording (both directions) you could hear both the source & the recording by switching between Source & Tape? No doubt - because if you did hear when set to Tape then you should have recorded stuff?

5. Onebean

Yep. I'll check the switch when I get home. Thank you.

6. Onebean

Palsapal, thank you for the help. The tape is fine and sounds great. I simply forgot to push the button switching from source to tape.

Grbluen likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.