I need some new music...

samwise801

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
...in my life. Maybe I'm picky, maybe I haven't been exposed to enough -- I don't know. All I do know is I've been in a rut lately, and while I love rockin' in that rut, even the wife is starting to credibly accuse me of being a serial "repeater." So, help!

My "rut" has been classic rock 'n roll (I only really discovered Zeppelin about three years ago) and folksy-rock stuff, like CSNY / Neil Young / Van Morrison. Plenty of good stuff, but very well-tread these days.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Help!

Thanks in advance...

...in my life. Maybe I'm picky, maybe I haven't been exposed to enough -- I don't know. All I do know is I've been in a rut lately, and while I love rockin' in that rut, even the wife is starting to credibly accuse me of being a serial "repeater." So, help!

My "rut" has been classic rock 'n roll (I only really discovered Zeppelin about three years ago) and folksy-rock stuff, like CSNY / Neil Young / Van Morrison. Plenty of good stuff, but very well-tread these days.

Thanks in advance...
Get some soul music in your life

Music is such a personal thing it is hard to recommend what you might like. Get on youtube and start surfing, go to internet radio stations, check out music wherever possible. I have a hard time listening to anything more than a handful of times, so I am with your Mrs.
There is so much to listen to it's beyond comprehension.

Get some soul music in your life

Oh, yeah, I have (I think) a full library of at least the essential soul. I just find myself skipping it lately, for some reason...I'll give it another chance.

And yes, I know -- this is an extremely subjective question. But I've been hitting the internet radio and what not and also remain unimpressed.

So, maybe I'll put it this way: those of you who are fans of emotional/energetic rock n' roll and folk-ish rock, who do you like beyond the "big" names? When you wanna feel like a Monkey Man, but are sick of Monkey Man, do you have another go-to?

Oh, yeah, I have (I think) a full library of at least the essential soul. I just find myself skipping it lately, for some reason...I'll give it another chance.

And yes, I know -- this is an extremely subjective question. But I've been hitting the internet radio and what not and also remain unimpressed.

So, maybe I'll put it this way: those of you who are fans of emotional/energetic rock n' roll and folk-ish rock, who do you like beyond the "big" names? When you wanna feel like a Monkey Man, but are sick of Monkey Man, do you have another go-to?
try and find some radio stations with shows that cater for certain genres presented by someone that knows there onions so to speak.these sorts of shows are usually found in the evening/night after the daytime playlist is out the way,a few i listen to are solar radio,stomp radio and worldwide fm which are mainly soul/dance stations,i also listen to bbc radio 6 music alot,check out their roster of weekend presenters which is mainly artists that are still in the business or been in the record/music industry for decades.

Jerry Rafferty 'Steelers Wheel' - Dave Mason - War - CCR - Windham Hill - Early 70's ELO - Traffic - Aretha - Joni - Vanessa Hernandez

Thanks in advance...

Give Florence and The Machine a look....

Fusion, baby!

If you want to know ANYTHING about Fusion you need to talk to Cactusbob, the God of Fusion on Audiokarma.
All hail Cactusbob... :bowdown:

I'll put Al's guitar playing up against anybody!

This is one of my favorite LP's.....

Last edited:
Start a Pandora station based on 5-10 of your favorite artists. (you can add more artist's to a station with the "add variety" button. Then start liking and disliking songs that you hear.
Even better, if you use Spotify, their "Discover Weekly" service is pretty good, and gets better the more you listen and make playlists.

There are also some services specifically for finding new music. Try these:

http://www.gnoosic.com/
http://www.musicroamer.com/#/

This one also has a pretty cool graphical interface to find new music:

https://www.music-map.com/

Put a "watch" on some of genre music threads on AK. I picked up jazz and classical music recommendations just by looking up on YouTube/Spotify what other members have posted. Good stuff.

EDIT: That Music Map thing is pretty sweet.

I'm still not sure about that Greta Van Fleet. Do I want to listen to somebody that sounds like somebody else? I'm not dissing them. They sure as hell sound a lot better than some of todays artist.
It's one thing to go to a local bar or small venue and see an admitted cover band of that somebody else, but to listen to that somebody that makes no claim to be "like" that somebody else is a little confusing to me.
Let's be real, back in the day that somebody had nobody else that sounded like them.

Back
Top Bottom