I need the gangs help with this one..

The System...Linn/Naim style

For those who are still reading...

This was Naim's official view on system building, scanned from a leaflet that was included with all their amplifiers circa. 1981.

As you can see from the pictures, this was when Linn and Naim were still tight.

cheerio

Last edited:
Originally posted by michael w

And get ready for a shock....Linn still hold true to the concept of a hi-fi hierachy.

Hi Mike

I said that I would be shocked if Linn's position was any different. Therefore, colour me indifferent ;)

Linn was established in 1972 with only one product, the LP12. Speakers were an afterthought.

I don't think we're as far apart as it may seem. Even the Naim ad that you attached states that "When speakers are the weakest link, then and only then, improving them will enhance the system". My point is that, by every objective measure, speakers are virtually always the weakest link when compared to source equipment of equal value.

Last edited:
Like EchoWars and Don McR, I would say I believe that the electro-mechanical points of exchange are the ones most variable and able to effect discrete changes in the system.
That would include the combination of stylus/cartridge/arm/table and the speaker system.

Amplication I take for granted. Who is using a poor amplifier?
The merits of a particular model or type is a separate issue.
Digital sound I also tend to disregard, as I'm not really able to tell that one of my better cdplayers really betters one of the portable cdplayers connected with those skinny connectors and using a voltage regulator.

The amount of effect in the electro-mechanical exchange seems to me to be most apparent in the speaker system. Speakers have the greatest effect on what we hear from a system.

Tim, in your hunt, believe in YOUR ears. No one elses. Oh, mebbe the WAF, if important to the other half. If what you hear doesn't jibe with what you've been told, well, so be it. Do it to please yourself. You'll be living with the result.

pete
and, hey, this whole deal is for the fun of it!! enjoy the hunt

Hey Tim...Regarding trying to seperate your systems using a HT by-pass is exactly what I have done.

If I had tons of money and room...perhaps I wouldn't have approached my system from this angle...but, I wanted (had) to keep my system in my living room...yet wanted two seperate systems...that use one set of speakers.

What I did was got a HT-bypass installed on my pre-amp (this really didn't cost much money at all) This way...when listening to a DVD movie...I just hit the button...and my 2 ch. audio preamp is totally by-passed. But, and more importantly) when listening to music...The only components that are in the chain are my pre-amp, mono blocs and cd player...seperating the HT receiver all together. However, because I have tube amps for my main speakers...when using the HT by-pass to watch a movie...I have to warm up the tube amps as if I were listening to regular music...(instead of just poping in the dvd and watching)

This seems to be a solution that has worked for me so far.

keep us updated on what you decide.....thanks!

as for where one should start when building an audio system? I look at the speaker/pre/amp combo first...with a slight emphasis on speakers....if you don't get these things right...it don't matter what the heck you do...it aint gonna help'em.

The brief message above was written by me (insert name here)...and all views are representative of (reference the name inserted there), which should be quite obvious...as (reference the first reference to the original) wrote the comments. (re-insert name here) has been wrong on occasion...and may have some views that are not of "the norm"...so keep this in mind when reading (re-re-insert name here)'s unpublished posts. Thank you for your time :)

gonefishin,
you actually mean to admit in public that you turn your tubes OFF!?!?! You are henceforth out of my will! :)

tonto....hehe...you obviously haven't looked at the prices of 300B's :eek:

hehe...but I do leave my J-E pre-amp on 24/7 ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom