I need to send three McIntosh units in for repair, Trying to decide who to send to.

RayM

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Hello,

I have three units to ship in for repair, I have it narrowed down to Terry Dewick or Audio Classics. I have to ship to either so proximity is not an issue. I do have the proper McIntosh boxes to ship and will try to add some extra packing in there.
I'm trying to decide if I should ship to Terry and have a longer turnaround time or Audio Classics for a faster turnaround time. I have no idea if one is more expensive than the other. For me it is just getting them repaired properly , I have no doubt both would do a great job.
I am a little worried on shipping damage but theirs no way around taking that chance.
If the units were to be gone for 4 months I would probably get something inexpensive to supplement the home audio in the meantime.
So I was looking for opinions. Longer turnaround time, maybe less expensive , or shorter turn around and maybe more expensive. Or maybe the repair costs are not much difference between the two. I am really stuck trying to decide.

Thanks
Ray

Last edited:
I've never dealt with Terry, but certainly his reputation speaks for itself. I have dealt with AC many times. They do all my repairs and have aways been fair and their work has been flawless. I have purchased many items over the years from them, again, never an issue. Their packaging and shipping also perfect.

Make sure your shipping boxes are in prime shape. If not I would order new ones from AC. Have Ryan send you call tags as you will be paying commercial shipping rates rather than retail. The 275s shipping boxes are much better today than the originals back in the 60's. The factory box my MP100 came in was a joke.

Thanks Twiii

I just ordered new boxes from McIntosh before I knew AC had their own boxes, So hopefully those along with some additional bubble pack will help.. On the call tags for shipping, I suppose I would call Ryan for those? I do not need any Restores I think. I have an MC206 and MC7106 that works but most of the lights are burnt out. Also an MX134 that has the most issue's, When warm will not respond from the remote or front controls. I know this is a hard question to ask, but it sounds like wait time versus money. It sounds like Terry is cheaper for repair but does anyone have a general comparison, like is AC twice as expensive or 3 times etc? I'm willing to wait on Terry if the savings is worth the wait but wonder what kind of cost difference I am looking at.

I know the cost question is a hard one to answer, I am just looking for generalities if someone has had experience with both and has some comparison. I know every repair is different. Since these units are my only Audio components and also used for Home Theater , if they are gone for a long time I need to factor in a cost of buying something cheap to get by, maybe a sound bar. If AC can get it back faster maybe I can forget the temp solution. This is what goes through my decision process.

I sent a pair of MC 30's and a C20 to AC about 4 months ago. It was expensive but they did great work and alot faster than I expected. As matter of I never once had to call them. Ryan called me at least 3 times, 1st with an estimate,2nd time was started working on it and finally when they were done. very good experience.

Absolute Sound Labs is authorized service center on the McIntosh website, give them a call. Been doing it for 50 years. No affiliate, just a happy customer with multiple pieces restored.

I do not need any Restores I think. I have an MC206 and MC7106 that works but most of the lights are burnt out. Also an MX134 that has the most issue's, When warm will not respond from the remote or front controls.
Where are you located?

https://www.mcintoshlabs.com/support/servicenetwork

If you are only concerned about having the lamps changed out on the MC206 and MC7106, you might just want to locate the nearest McIntosh authorized tech, and take 'em to them. They are surely up to that task, and, depending on your location, it could save you a lot of time and money. If you want the units gone through, to make sure everything is operating to spec, Audio Classics or Terry Dewick are likely your best options. I would send the MX134 to AC or Terry.

Mark and Ryan at ASL have done superlative work on my two vintage SS pieces. Both were taken care of in about 5-6 weeks. No brainer if you want restoration.

Thanks for everyone's input, I think I am going to take the slow but sure route and send them to Terry. I would like to get at least a full check out on them as they have not been serviced since I purchased them. Beside the time involved in the turn around , no one here had doubts that I will not get a quality repair.
I really appreciate everyone's help here. I'm in my 60's now and have had McIntosh equipment since my late 20's. In my youth I once sold my Pickup truck to buy a McIntosh amp, priorities ... Right?
Now on to one of the other forums here to find a good sound bar for the time my stuff is gone.

Thanks again
Ray

I did think of one more thing I would like to get opinions on, Insuring them for shipping. How do you determine how much to insure them for? Replacement or try and find the going value of used equipment?

You can spend as much as you want for insurance for high limits but when it comes time to pay out for a loss, you will only receive fair market value. So it really doesn't make much sense to insure for more than that. I would recommend FedEx Ground. Terry uses them and their rates seem the best.

Great story of ownership.

Hello,

I have three units to ship in for repair, I have it narrowed down to Terry Dewick or Audio Classics. I have to ship to either so proximity is not an issue. I do have the proper McIntosh boxes to ship and will try to add some extra packing in there.
I'm trying to decide if I should ship to Terry and have a longer turnaround time or Audio Classics for a faster turnaround time. I have no idea if one is more expensive than the other. For me it is just getting them repaired properly , I have no doubt both would do a great job.
I am a little worried on shipping damage but theirs no way around taking that chance.
If the units were to be gone for 4 months I would probably get something inexpensive to supplement the home audio in the meantime.
So I was looking for opinions. Longer turnaround time, maybe less expensive , or shorter turn around and maybe more expensive. Or maybe the repair costs are not much difference between the two. I am really stuck trying to decide.

Thanks
Ray
Pack the original McIntosh boxes inside another box or two so a box with an in a box within a box... Foam peanuts are not the best packing material so many people make the mistake of shipping something in one box it's far better to have multiple boxes I use a minimum of three the original box the electronics came in then to Outer boxes and if you can't do that at least one extra Outside Box packed this way ...

Back
Top Bottom