I need to ship a receiver. should I pay fed ex and cover myself or risk with my own packing?

Discussion in 'Packing & Shipping' started by gentlejax, Mar 1, 2017.

1. Chip Chester

Chip Chester Super Member

I've got a few things to ship coming up. I'm wondering if I should take it to a FedEx or UPS place, give it to them, and have the buyer be their customer instead of me. So the buyer is the shipper, and he makes contact with the shipping company, pays them directly, and is responsible for everything after I drop it off -- packing, payment, etc. If it doesn't arrive to his satisfaction, it's between him and the shipping co. I want to be the seller, not the shipper. Think that has a chance of working out like I want?

Chip

2. SoCal Sam

SoCal Sam Lunatic Member

Ebay? If going international, I've heard sending to ebay's packing center is a must. Having Fedex or UPS pack and ship will make insurance claim a snap. Shipping on customer's dime means they file claim and not you. However, none of this immunizes the seller against ebay return policy and the wicked SNAD. Like you, I am dreading selling audio on ebay but the day is coming.

3. Jeffery

Jeffery High Powered Mutant Subscriber

Foam peanuts are basically worthless IMHO. Maybe to fill a small void in the otherwise solid packaging, but for bulk volume fill, no thanks.

4. blhagstrom

blhagstrom Mad Scientist, fixer. Subscriber

I read that UPS is getting hard to impossible to collect insurance.
    I've seen their handling docks and spoke to employees.
    NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, EVER use UPS.

USPS insurance is hit and miss, its getting to be a miss.

FedEx seems simple at $100 and below, no problems. File and collect.
    Above $100 can be a pain. They want to inspect. But they do look at photos sent in on the claim. Make sure the damage is obvious. I had one denied because they couldn't really see much damage.
    Hint, go get a BPC at GW and throw it off the roof, put it on a box, take photos. Make sure damage is obvious on photos.

Best to pack well and ask shipping gods to watch over you.

5. Chip Chester

Chip Chester Super Member

I've shipped a few pro video tape machines -- like 70-90 pound units -- and I always use factory packaging. I can, because I always keep factory packaging for stuff like that. I've even sent empty factory boxes for new acquisitions to be shipped to me in. Why? Because during that time, UPS was rejecting any damage claim that wasn't shipped in their approved factory packaging. (Shippers work with mfg's on that stuff.) Don't know if that's still true, or if FedEx has the same rule, but you stand a lot better chance of being compensated if you can say, "Look, it's the very packaging you and the mfg. worked out originally."

This afternoon, I shipped a consumer product back to mfg. for warranty work. Used their original retail carton, and boxed that carton in a larger box with bubble wrap around retail box -- exactly like Amazon shipped to me. Except my outer box was an egg box. Took it to the local UPS shop, and they asked: "Are you really shipping eggs?" To which I replied, "Yup. They're fragile, you know...) ;)

Chip

6. orsen

orsen just another old cheapskate that likes audio Subscriber

your parcels are seldom shipped solely by the carrier you hired
    stuff shipped priority or over night or same day day ... what ever
    is packed on a plane or truck with many carriers parcels headed for the same destination
    ups, canada post, dhl, ats, fedex over flow,amazon, will all be mixed in all the pits of the the plane
    its done like this cause the plane/ truck runs out of room be fore it runs out of weight capacity
    fedex is a little different ... they do try to keep their stuff on thier trucks and planes
    but they also bulk out daily and use other carriers

7. aldread

aldread Well-Known Member

Double box, cut and shape pool noodles to protect all edges and corners, also use them to fill extra spaces. They are easy to affix the the units or boxes, have great resiliency, and are cheap!